Any games that would make decent Radio Dramas?

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
I've absolutely fallen in love with Radio Dramas and Audio books recently (definitely prefer the dramas though)and was rooting around online for some when I came across this great fan-made Bioshock one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LMoHTaS7qU

I also know that Hideo Kojima turned Snatcher into a Japanese radio drama (still miffed there's no English version as far as I know). So I was wondering if there are any other games that could make the jump to the none-screen.

Personally I quite enjoy the codex conversation in Metal Gear (the relevant ones anyway). Add a few sound effects and some plot dumps and you'd pretty much have a complete radio drama. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I think maybe something like Dreamfall: The Longest Journey would work, but probably not.

There's this fairly terrible game that I bought for some reason, a hidden object game called The Mystery of the Crystal Portal. Since a great deal of the game is revealed via voice over and text, I think it would be well suited for adaptation.

In terms of good games, then the voice acting, sound effects and music of Psychonauts would work well I imagine.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Fallout 3 could make for an interesting one, at the very least. I'd also be willing to say any of the Ratchet & Clank series could be good nominees as well.

EDIT: Forgot to include, I think you could do it with the Metro series as well.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Fallout 3, mentioned above, actually had a radio drama in it- The Adventures of Herbert "Daring" Dashwood.
They were short but sweet. Building on them would be fun :)

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
I thought that the dialogue in "Borderlands 2" would translate pretty well into a radio drama. Almost immediately, the player was introduced to several audio-logs of a character named Helena Pierce...who was tragically killed by the main antagonist, Handsome Jack. The background sounds effects really brought that moment to life.

The writing and dialogue was the thing that made a pretty good shooter into one of my favorite games. Telltale Games is even creating a spin-off series, "Tales from the Borderlands", which functions like an interactive drama.

...come to think of it, Telltale is fast becoming one of my favorite developers, simply because they do interactive dramas so well..."The Walking Dead" and "The Wolf Among Us" function so well, I look forward to them nearly as much as other games.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
The lives and deaths of the average Dwarf Fortress would make a good episodic radio play, I think. Considering how much it relies on text and player visualisation as it does, it won't be too difficult to rework.

Mikkel421427

Nov 10, 2010
Bastion or Transistor. Simply due to the fact that Logan Cunningham would have to voice them and *droooooool*...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I can imagine a Kingdom Hearts radio drama.

"Sora!"
"Riku!"
"KAIRI?"
"Sora???"
"KAIRI!"
"Riku?!"
"Sora..."
"RIKU! KAIRI!"