Any good Fantasy/Medieval Films?

godofallu

Jun 8, 2010
I've been obsessing over Fantasy games/books recently and I figured I may as well jump into movies now too. But do any even exist?

If you know any decent ones lemme know, thanks.

PS: I'm thinking like swordplay/knights possibly some fantasy elements like elves or dragons too.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Monty python and the holy grail

haha ok im kidding

hmmm There is ladyhawke its very medieaval

conan the barberian

lord of the rings but yourve probably already seen it

Dash85

Mar 21, 2010
Lord of the Rings Trilogy? First Knight (never saw it)? In Defense of the King (crap)? Knights Tale? Robin Hood, Gladiator, Centurion, 300, Braveheart.... ok im just listing movies with swordplay but meh.

Dagnius

May 3, 2010
I found Outlander to be pretty good, Though it's not fantasy it's based around the Viking Era.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462465/

It didn't seem too good when i read the description on the dish guide (those are never good anyhow) but i decided to see for my self and I rather enjoyed the movie.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Krull was originally going to be a Dungeon's & Dragons movie, but things changed about and it took a life of its own. A decent movie, I say.

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
The best way to determine that quality of a fantasy film is by how awesome the concept would look painted on the side of a van.

Therefore, I'd recommend the Princess Bride, Krull, and The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Krull was originally going to be a Dungeon's & Dragons movie, but things changed about and it took a life of its own. A decent movie, I say.
I might be wrong about this, but I "Think" Krull was supposed to be the third installment of the Schwarzenegger line of the Conan franchise that ended up wallowing in development hell for 10-15 years.

Also as for the OPQ I would offer up Valhalla Rising from 2009-2010. It is a brütal film about Vikings which are always brütal to begin with. THough it might be difficult to locate as its more of an independent film.

Edit: I was incorrect. I was thinking of Kull the conquerer with Kevin Sorbo, not Krull which is one of Liam Neesons first notable roles. Sorry, my mistake.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
viranimus said:
FalloutJack said:
I might be wrong about this, but I "Think" Krull was supposed to be the third installment of the Schwarzenegger line of the Conan franchise that ended up wallowing in development hell for 10-15 years.

Also as for the OPQ I would offer up Valhalla Rising from 2009-2010. It is a brütal film about Vikings which are always brütal to begin with. THough it might be difficult to locate as its more of an independent film.

Edit: I was incorrect. I was thinking of Kull the conquerer with Kevin Sorbo, not Krull which is one of Liam Neesons first notable roles. Sorry, my mistake.
No worries. I didn't even know that about Kull The Conqueror.

Mr Cwtchy

Jan 13, 2009
If you haven't watched The Lord of The Rings by now then you should bow your head in shame and correct your grievous error.

Other than that, I can't seem to think of any. Fantasy films don't tend to be very common, nor successful.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Quick check...

Not quite medieval (Crusades, so borderline), but Kingdom of Heaven was pretty good. Half an hour too long, but still good.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
It didn't get the most amazing reviews, but I'd still recommend Kingdom of Heaven. It's pretty epic and I found it quite entertaining.

There's also Robin Hood, and if you fancy a non-Robin Hood Robin Hood film there's also the recent flick with Russel Crow. I'd rather stick to the good ol' merry Robin Hood myself, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. And of course the silly Mel Brooks Robin Hood: Men in Tights. The recent BBC Robin Hood series is supposedly also very good.

As for fantasy; Lord of the Rings, Conan the Barbarian, maybe Van Helsing, Dragonheart, Braveheart. Most of them have already been mentioned of course.
Vault101 said:
Monty python and the holy grail

haha ok im kidding
No need to kid about that, it's friggin' brilliant.
SckizoBoy said:
Quick check...

Not quite medieval (Crusades, so borderline), but Kingdom of Heaven was pretty good. Half an hour too long, but still good.
The Crusades are as medieval as it gets.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I'd say Dragon Heart (the Denis Quaid, Sean Connery one) was a pretty good movie, though the last time I watched it was something like ten years ago so my memory of it may be a little fuzzy.
And various Robin Hood movies are good, depending on what kind of movie you want. Prince of Thieves is a damn good movie if you're looking for a more serious and dramatic movie and 'Men in Tights' is good if you want a more comedic movie

Ryuu814

Feb 25, 2010
try Kingdom of Heaven it's a nice film set during the Holy Crusade and regrades Templars and such. Main lead is played by Orlando Bloom and it's a very nice film to watch if you like fantasy/medievil type things

monstersquad

Jun 7, 2010
I
Dagnius said:
I found Outlander to be pretty good, Though it's not fantasy it's based around the Viking Era.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462465/

It didn't seem too good when i read the description on the dish guide (those are never good anyhow) but i decided to see for my self and I rather enjoyed the movie.
Fantasy and Sci-fi should and always will be interchangeable. Yes, it's a medieval movie, but in this case it's the sci-fi elements that provide the fantasy.

I realise it's been suggested before, but Conan the Barbarian is the fantasy movie to watch. It's required watching for every player in my D&D game.

Another great fantasy movie not yet mentioned is Wolfhound: from the tribe of grey dogs. It's a russian film, from 2007. It find it has excellent production values, and great elements of fantasy in a unique setting.

Charles_Martel

Oct 28, 2010
Mr Cwtchy said:
If you haven't watched The Lord of The Rings by now then you should bow your head in shame and correct your grievous error.

Other than that, I can't seem to think of any. Fantasy films don't tend to be very common, nor successful.
Depends how you define fantasy. High fantasy (wizards, dragons, knights and etc.) might not be real successful but that might be because they are real expensive to make. But the Lord of the Rings trilogy was very successful.

If you are talking fantasy pictures in general they are very numerous and very successful. Big, What Women Want and Liar Liar are all examples of fantasy. In Big a wish grants a boy an adult body. In What Women Want an accident grants a man the power to read women minds. In Liar Liar a wish causes a man to always tell the truth. In each of these otherwise mainstream movies a fantastical event provides the premise. There are many more examples of fantasy in movies.