Any good female comedians?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
So I'm watching tv ( Comedy central ) , and i'm watching some Stand up comedy , thing is , all the stand up comics are men , i have probably seen 1 female, do stand up comedy . So my question to you guys are :

Are there any good female comedians ? If so who ?

Also if you are able to link/embed a video ( if there are any ) of your favorite female comic, that would be apreciated

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
The problem I have with 90% of women comedian is that most of the time, their stand up is only about sex/men and it gets really old really fast.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I'll go ahead and say what is probably going to make me unpopular but I love Kathy Griffin...

When I had cable, the only reality TV show I would be willing to watch was Kathy Griffin's Life on the D List.

I've never seen her stand-up but the comedy of Sarah Silverman I find is also pretty funny.

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
I honestly can't remember the last time I heard a good female comedian. Pretty much all that gets shopped around comedy central and the other networks say one of these 3 things always:

1) "Aren't men stupid?"

2) "Hey! I have a vagina, it's different than a penis!"

3) "My life is REALLY complicated/sucks!"

I'm not saying there can't be ones or that females are inherently worse, just the ones that are popular at the moment are all terrible.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Radeonx said:
The problem I have with 90% of women comedian is that most of the time, their stand up is only about sex/men and it gets really old really fast.
I tend to find this is a massive problem with female comedians. Jo Brand is a fairly successful British comedian, she makes me laugh but a lot of her material revolves around digs at her husband and men in general.
I like observational comedy but it does get tiresome when it's the same subject.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010

Psycho-Toaster said:
Well, there's Nina Conti, who's a fantastic ventriloquist/comedian:

Also Jo Brand, who's already been mentioned.
Dang you beat me to it

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
Joan Rivers, Jo Brand, Shappi Khorsandi, Aisha Tyler.... I think that's about it

Oh, Andi Osho

I can't think of any more

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
Wanda Sykes is actually a really funny comedian. It's a little hard to find good female comedians especially if you are a guy (men and women have different senses of humor or something). I also think that Bea Arthur is really funny but I'm not entirely sure if she does standup. She had GOLDEN comic delivery though. Really funny woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rglECgEACVA

^Wanda

and yeah I can't really find Bea Arthur stand up. She was on All in the Family, Maude, The Golden Girls, and had a cameo in Mel Brook's History of the World Part I.

FaustianBargain

Jan 18, 2011
Amy Schumer is probably the only female comic I really like, shes been on a few comedy central specials and I just find her hilarious.

Blue2

Mar 19, 2010
Both Nikki Payne and Debra Digiovanni are good

Mestraal

Jan 18, 2010
Diane Spencer. Saw her live at my uni the other day, she's not exactly small time, either.

Damn, but she was funny.

Mat Turner

Aug 25, 2011
Maria Bamford.

She tours with Patton Oswald and Louis C.K., she cna be similar to them at times. Plus, she's amazing at voices.

Feb 28, 2008
Sarah Millican and Ronni Ancona are very funny (although the latter is listed generally as an "impressionist"). They make regular appearances on QI, WILTY and other British panel shows.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
Sarah Silverman? I think some people don't like her, but I do. Other than that there's janeane garofalo, Maria Bamford, Natasha leggero, Tig Notaro, Mindy Kaling, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Chelsea Peretti, Garfunkle and Oats, jessi klein, and much much more! I like stand up (and I am one but don't tell no one! And of the amature comedians of Massachusetts and surrounding states I've seen in the four months of stand up I've done, I've seen like 2 women, one was good, the other was great.)
people who say there aren't any good female comedians are like people who say there's no good music being made today. If you can't find any, you're not looking hard enough!