Any good game/general geek sites that dont moan about sexism/racism/homophobia?

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
3,676
0
0
Genocidicles said:
San Martin said:
Maybe if you can give a single good reason why discussions of racism, sexism and homophobia are "pointless bullshit" in the context of videogames,
Because racism, sexism and homophobia have no effect on the gameplay, which is the most important part of a video game.
They might be important to people playing them if they are affected by that sort of thing.
Y'know, maybe some women don't want to play a game that treats women like shit, for example?
And some gamers are women.
So... they'd want to know?

How is this hard to follow?

Anyway, Wikipedia. That'll tell you all you need to know, I guess, if you're looking for complete objectivity.
 

Genocidicles

New member
Sep 13, 2012
1,747
0
0
Phasmal said:
They might be important to people playing them if they are affected by that sort of thing.
Y'know, maybe some women don't want to play a game that treats women like shit, for example?
And some gamers are women.
So... they'd want to know?

How is this hard to follow?


Anyway, Wikipedia. That'll tell you all you need to know, I guess, if you're looking for complete objectivity.
Well those issues are unimportant to me, so I don't care. I don't want a reviewer that wastes their time discussing them.

As I have said multiple times throughout this thread, I don't want objective reviews. I want a reviewer who gives their opinions on the important stuff such as gameplay, without it being bogged down with the unimportant stuff like discussions of sexism.
 

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
3,676
0
0
Genocidicles said:
Well those issues are unimportant to me, so I don't care. I don't want a reviewer that wastes their time discussing them.

As I have said multiple times throughout this thread, I don't want objective reviews. I want a reviewer who gives their opinions on the important stuff such as gameplay, without it being bogged down with the unimportant stuff like discussions of sexism.
Hahahahahah.
Okay.

That's just funny.
`Who cares if this thing about games is important to other people, who are also gamers? It's not important to ME!`

Dunno what to say, dude.
Yahtzee, maybe? But I'm sure you're already aware of him.
 

San Martin

New member
Jun 21, 2013
181
0
0
Genocidicles said:
San Martin said:
Maybe if you can give a single good reason why discussions of racism, sexism and homophobia are "pointless bullshit" in the context of videogames,
Because racism, sexism and homophobia have no effect on the gameplay, which is the most important part of a video game.
On the contrary, if I'm playing a game and get distracted because of its negative portrayal of women, I won't shoot straight, which will cause me to die a lot and become frustrated in real life, so I'll throw my controller across the room, striking my dog and making him so mad that he fatally mauls a nearby toddler. DIDN'T THINK OF THAT, DID YOU?

Also, you are aware that you're not the centre of the universe right?
 

Genocidicles

New member
Sep 13, 2012
1,747
0
0
kommando367 said:
Neoseeker is good about that as long as you stay away from the lounge forums.
Seems like a good source of news and previews. Shame about the lack of reviews though.

Phasmal said:
Hahahahahah.
Okay.

That's just funny.
`Who cares if this thing about games is important to other people, who are also gamers? It's not important to ME!`

Dunno what to say, dude.
Yahtzee, maybe? But I'm sure you're already aware of him.
Well I did start the thread to get recommendations for myself.

As I said earlier, I don't care if people want to read articles about how Wolfenstein's difficulty icons promote misogyny or whatever the issue of the week is... Feel free to do so. I just don't want to read that crap, and I would like something else.

And yeah, Yahtzee is alright I guess, but much like /v/, if I avoided every game he hated I would have missed out on some good stuff.

San Martin said:
Also, you are aware that you're not the centre of the universe right?
Read the underlined text above.
 

cleric of the order

New member
Sep 13, 2010
546
0
0
Phasmal said:
Hahahahahah.
Okay.

That's just funny.
`Who cares if this thing about games is important to other people, who are also gamers? It's not important to ME!`

Dunno what to say, dude.
Yahtzee, maybe? But I'm sure you're already aware of him.
I actually wouldn't mind what the op is looking for.
Quite alot of these matters have a lot of different perspectives on it, schools of thought and academic disciplines.
I would rather not have someone I am going to for a review start spazing out and trying to cram their approach down my thought, it's just bad manners.

Also he does have some credence there, and it's prefectly valid to not want a metaphysical discussion when trying to figure out if I should buy something.
Anyway, shouldn't discussions on this matter be by critiques, artists, academics, etc and not a blogger in the middle of a review. It's a sensitive topic, one that you could do well to yield is not always handled best by every random person on the internet.

As for you OP, I have a number.
the codex if all you want to do is rpg.
I heard techraptor, nichegamer and a couple others are pretty okay.
I bugger this I think I'll just P.M. you a list if you want
 

UltimaeFanBoy

New member
Jul 16, 2014
4
0
0
MarsAtlas said:
Genocidicles said:
But it is pointless bullshit. Does a game's 'problematic' portrayal of women somehow make the gunplay bad or something?
When the game is openly hostile towards the person group that the player falls under, yes, it is relevant, the same way somebody may not want to sit through a movie that openly bashes their personhood just because the action scenes are competent. "Unimportant to me" does not mean "unimportant".
I don't think comparing a movie to a game with something like that is the best example, IMO.

And yes, it is unimportant. Most of these cases are untrue, like GTA.
 

Blitsie

New member
Jul 2, 2012
532
0
0
Destructoid? Practically one of the first sites I visit every morning I fire up Chrome, its just a bunch of gamers writing about what they love most; gaming, and there's a nice amount of genuineness present which I feel is missing on sites like Gamespot and such. They do sometimes touch up on the themes you don't like but its fairly uncommon and as simple as skipping over to the next article when you come across one.
 

ArcadianDrew

New member
Sep 3, 2014
61
0
0
I think the OP underestimates just how much these sorts of issue can and will effect people playing games. Yes game-play is the most important factor in a game (otherwise we wouldn't PLAY them) but if a game's portrayal of women/homosexuals/trans etc. is so offensive/intolerant then it can distract from the good stuff in the game. A lot of people don't want to sit down and endure those sort of bigoted views and will want to be told if a game is offensive in this way.

Let's also not forget that a website will want to cater to as many tastes and opinions as possible so having a very narrow set of views or refusing to discuss issues that some gamers want to discuss/see discussed will cut off a potentially significant chunk of their audience. Making things more inclusive is only a good thing. You'll also find that in most cases the issue is kept only to a paragraph or two, with the rest of the review talking about the game - from the reviews I've read anyway (which is quite a lot).
 

cleric of the order

New member
Sep 13, 2010
546
0
0
San Martin said:
As a matter of fact I do have several good recommendations, but based on the silly things you've said so far I'm not really convinced you deserve them.
dude, that's kinda mean. Like the sorta shit i see on 4/fullchan. Hell this whole thread seems like i stepped into some weird alternate dimension /v/.
Maybe if you can give a single good reason why discussions of racism, sexism and homophobia are "pointless bullshit" in the context of videogames, then I'll change my mind, like the benevolent review dispensing deity that I am.
I would assume because it's a complex and sensitive topic and many people that try to cover the subject do it rather poorly and ham handy.
Also to some people that is not their primary concern and does not make or brake a game for them.
And while it may weigh the matter for you good sir, to some it's a waste of breath.
One could even consider it shoveling bullshit to get to get at gold.

The heck is with this thread.
 

San Martin

New member
Jun 21, 2013
181
0
0
Genocidicles said:
San Martin said:
Also, you are aware that you're not the centre of the universe right?
Read the underlined text above.
Sure, but there's a big difference between not being personally interested in that stuff, and writing it off as "pointless bullshit", "unimportant" and "crap", as though your interests were the axis around which everything else must revolve.

I know how much people on the Escapist love arguing with analogies, so I'll be a bit naughty and indulge myself: I have no interest whatsoever in listening to metal of any kind -it's just not music that interests me personally-, but that doesn't mean that I think metal is "pointless bullshit", "unimportant" and "crap".

However, I also know that people on the Escapist love explaining why their opponents' analogies don't work rather than actually addressing their points. Fingers crossed.
 

Genocidicles

New member
Sep 13, 2012
1,747
0
0
cleric of the order said:
As for you OP, I have a number.
the codex if all you want to do is rpg.
I heard techraptor, nichegamer and a couple others are pretty okay.
I bugger this I think I'll just P.M. you a list if you want
Thanks, that would be great.

San Martin said:
Sure, but there's a big difference between not being personally interested in that stuff, and writing it off as "pointless bullshit", "unimportant" and "crap", as though your interests were the axis around which everything else must revolve.

I know how much people on the Escapist love arguing with analogies, so I'll be a bit naughty and indulge myself: I have no interest whatsoever in listening to metal of any kind -it's just not music that interests me personally-, but that doesn't mean that I think metal is "pointless bullshit", "unimportant" and "crap".
Well why not? No one is stopping you. I'm a fan of metal, and I don't care if you think metal is pointless bullshit. It's your opinion, which you are obviously free to have.

However, I also know that people on the Escapist love explaining why their opponents' analogies don't work rather than actually addressing their points. Fingers crossed.
And which point was this again? The one about 'problematic' elements affecting someone so much they have trouble playing the game? Because if the writing in a game effects someone so much they can no longer play it properly then I'd wager they're a candidate for psychiatric help.
 

BloatedGuppy

New member
Feb 3, 2010
9,572
0
0
Genocidicles said:
Well I did start the thread to get recommendations for myself.
I fully defend your right to seek out the exact type of reviews you prefer. In fact, I encourage it. It's a damn sight better than whining on forums or trying to get sites hauled down you disagree with.

However, you've chosen to be deliberately confrontational about it, which is why you're getting so much...uh...colorful feedback. You can prefer one kind of coverage without being snidely dismissive of others. If you're incapable of that, it doesn't speak very well of your ability to respect differing perspectives and viewpoints, or handle conflicting ideas. "I prefer X" is a long way from "I prefer X because Y is stupid and irrelevant".

Once you figure out why, you'll get a lot less blow back when you post in online forums.
 

San Martin

New member
Jun 21, 2013
181
0
0
cleric of the order said:
dude, that's kinda mean. Like the sorta shit i see on 4/fullchan. Hell this whole thread seems like i stepped into some weird alternate dimension /v/.
Criticism accepted. I've never been on /v/. I don't think I've ever been on 4chan except for... well, definitely not porn, if that's what you're thinking.


Genocidicles said:
And which point was this again? The one about 'problematic' elements affecting someone so much they have trouble playing the game? Because if the writing in a game effects someone so much they can no longer play it properly then I'd wager they're a candidate for psychiatric help.
I can't even remember what point I'm supposed to be making. Something about dogs and toddlers, I think. Never mind, sorry for having been rude, and I hope you find what you're looking for. Goodnight.
 

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
18,861
11
43
Genocidicles said:
Main Reddit

you won't have none of that SJW nonsense there! its [strike/]shitshow[/S] very intelligent, much reasonable STEMlord logical place

also

Genocidicles said:
Are there any major sites that keep this shit out of their reviews, previews and basic discussions? I don't want to give ad revenue to any company that thinks these things are relevant in the discussion of video games, tv shows or comics or whatever.
its ALWAYS relevant media is a reflection of our society, to act like it doesn't matter is wilful ignorance on the most ridiculous level
 

Genocidicles

New member
Sep 13, 2012
1,747
0
0
Vault101 said:
Main Reddit

you won't have none of that SJW nonsense there! its [strike/]shitshow[/S] very intelligent, much reasonable STEMlord logical place
Very funny. I want proper reviews, not people on a forum who can't articulate why a game is good beyond 'It's fun'.

And for the last time, I still want people's opinions. I just don't want the opinions of people who think sexism is important when reviewing a game.

its ALWAYS relevant media is a reflection of our society, to act like it doesn't matter is wilful ignorance on the most ridiculous level
Well I guess I'm ignorant then. I don't care. I don't give a fuck about how a female character's bust size reflects our society's view of women, I just want to know if the game is worth my time and money.