Any metal out there with a symphonic approach? (Like Metallica S&M)

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
I've always loved the sound of violin's and electric guitars together and I've just listened to Metallica's S&M album for the first time in almost 8 years. It's quite the experience, an No Leaf Clover is almost as epic as the day I lost my virginity.

Anyone here know of any other bands that do anything similar to this?

Custard_Angel

Aug 6, 2009
Like Metallica? I don't know.

Lots of black and other extreme metal genres use symphonic elements though.

Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth are examples of "pop" black metal bands.

Shivhappy

Sep 6, 2011
Amon Amarth. Epica. Apocolyptica. I would def recommend Amon Amarth-under the northern star.

Sentient6

Nov 26, 2009
I'm going to try and ignore the use of "Metallica" and "Symphonic" in the same sentence, and just suggest Rhapsody of Fire.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Cridhe said:
Anyone here know of any other bands that do anything similar to this?
I have just the thing for you my friend: Epica, Nightwish and occasionally Kamelot. Epica and Nightwish are Gothic Metal bands which means a metal band accompanied by an orchestra. If you're going to listen to this genre, start with Epica's The Classical Conspiracy, The Divine Conspiracy and Design Your Universe. All of these were great albums.

Apocalyptica isn't bad either, they started off doing Metalica covers so try them. They're only a cello quartet (I'm a cellist myself and I played Nothing Else Matters for my music final practical exam) though, so no guitar, sorry.

Cridhe

May 24, 2011
I'll take these things into consideration. I just think the S&M album is so good it erases the mistakes of the Load/Reload generation.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Only one I can think of atm is a live performance with Scorpions.
The song is a bit too loud though(and pretty dull). Hard to make out much else. >.<

Hollow Heart

Yammering Monkey
Jun 23, 2009
Exactly like Metallica S&M is hard to find. But you can try Therion.

Here's a couple of good ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o6lX_qdlLI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLYjRn--GI

steeple

Death by tray it shall be
Dec 2, 2008
I always thought rhapsody did an amazing job with it...

sure, it's not S&M, but it's awesome enough as is...

Mausthemighty

Aug 3, 2011
I recommend Epica (The Divine Conspiracy and Design Your Universe) but also Within Temptation, one of the greatest bands my country has produced!
Especially 'The Silent Force' and their live concert registration "Black Symphony" are very symphonic.