Any New Years Resolutions?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Yeah, I know it's a little trite, but we haven't had one of these yet and while it doesn't like the world will be getting better any time soon, there's no harm in getting some personal improvement in.

Anyway, I quit smoking.

Never smoked all that much, but the habit lasted almost 20 years. Well technically I already quit cigarettes in late march last year, switching to vaping instead. Did that for a while, first with nicotine, then progressively reducing its content until nicotine-free. From that point on I decided that when my remaining vape liquid ran out, that would be the end of it. And by coincidence that time turned out to be tuesday last week.

Don't really miss it. Mostly just the "I'm bored, guess I'll just go light one/vape" reflex, but on the other hand, more money left over to spend on other stuff, and of course the health angle.

What about you lads and lasses?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I used to smoke also, mainly out of bordom and having to have something to do when waiting about, and self-destructive blah blah blah. But one day it just tasted and felt pretty unpleasant, so stopped completely and never looked back. Never managed to feel the addiction weirdly. Glad to hear you got to stamp it out with minimal trouble too. Most other people get full into the addiction.

Not really made any resolutions, am generally always wanting/trying to be better anyway, so a new year doesn't make that desire any stronger than usual. Mainly I just want to be a bit more normal and functional and positive and able to help others efficiently. Or dead I suppose. It all kinda swings around a lot to be honest. 😬

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
The same 2 as usual really. Drink less and lose weight.

Doing Dry January in an effort to lower my tolerance to alcohol so that I drink less. The first couple of weeks were tough, you kind of get into the habit of drinking at the weekend and what is left of the whisky I was drinking on New Years Eve was very tempting. But have go to the point that I'm not bothered now. I imagine that once the month is up and work gets on my nerves, I will drink again, I just need to not buy a ton of beer and drink it all in one go.

Also, the losing weight thing. Well, I've been eating less crap since I've not been drinking, so I need to keep that up. And I need to start exercising. Which I hate and am struggling to find the motivation to get going. I need to buy some scales so I can see the weight coming off and not get discouraged when I am not super buff after a week. And eat less pizza.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Catfood220 said:
Also, the losing weight thing. Well, I've been eating less crap since I've not been drinking, so I need to keep that up. And I need to start exercising. Which I hate and am struggling to find the motivation to get going. I need to buy some scales so I can see the weight coming off and not get discouraged when I am not super buff after a week. And eat less pizza.
If you have some friends or family in a similar boat, I have a suggestion to keep your feet to the coals. Set a timeframe and a reasonable goal for that timeframe (in my case, participants were trying for 10% of our body weight in a 90 day period). Everyone in the bet puts in a small bet - let's say $20 apiece, enough to be interesting if you win but usually a near-negligible loss if you don't. Granted, the win/loss conditions will need refinement, but this should provide a starting framework

On the morning that you all start your bet, everyone steps on their scales, takes a picture of the number, sends it out to the rest of the participants in a group text. Next week you do it again, and repeat this until the bet ends. It gives you immediate feedback on whether your methods are working, provides an immediate goal of tangible progress, and stokes that competitive instinct. I think this more than anything else is what made my friends and my diets so successful.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I'm trying to lose more weight, which is tricky since I love me some sweet stuff.

I'm also working towards earning my associates degree. Fingers crossed I can actually get it done...

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The one thing that annoyed be looking back to 2019 was that my reading average had dropped, so I'm trying to get back to at least 20 novels this year. There's a bunch of classics I always mean to tackle but never get around. Started this year with Orlando.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Self pity is an ugly emotion so I'll keep this brief.

New Year's Resolution of sorts for me was to finally ask a co-worker out for coffee, one that I've known for two years. Come January, I ask, she accepts. 30 minutes of just talking and getting to know one another, only for her at the end to say that she isn't looking for a relationship and is dealing with feelings for another person.

Come two weeks after that and I've come to terms (I hope) with the fact that our relationship (from her perspective) isn't going to be more than "I know you exist and I'll say high when I pass by your desk, but I'd rather you keep your distance from me."

When I made a New Year's Resolution years ago to retrain in a new field, it paid off. Honestly, I'm almost regretting having followed up on this one, because for me, emotionally, it's worse.

Story of my life at this point.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Hawki said:
Self pity is an ugly emotion so I'll keep this brief.

New Year's Resolution of sorts for me was to finally ask a co-worker out for coffee, one that I've known for two years. Come January, I ask, she accepts. 30 minutes of just talking and getting to know one another, only for her at the end to say that she isn't looking for a relationship and is dealing with feelings for another person.

Come two weeks after that and I've come to terms (I hope) with the fact that our relationship (from her perspective) isn't going to be more than "I know you exist and I'll say high when I pass by your desk, but I'd rather you keep your distance from me."

When I made a New Year's Resolution years ago to retrain in a new field, it paid off. Honestly, I'm almost regretting having followed up on this one, because for me, emotionally, it's worse.

Story of my life at this point.
As much as that hurts- would you really prefer having not asked? Going day-to-day always wanting to build up the courage to ask, but not doing it? You may not have got the outcome you wanted, but hey- at least you did the scary thing, and know more now than you did before. This allows you to move on to the next thing instead of being stuck in a loop wanting to do this one.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Go into therapy, keep my job, survive. There's some overlap between those.

Also, get into less political discussions on the internet but I'm not getting my hopes up there.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I honestly just want to fulfill all of my obligations satisfactorily and not let anybody I know down. I've taken on a lot of responsibility this year, between work and graduate school and running a club that handles all the recruitment and networking for my academic program. I wanted to lose weight, read to expand my mind more, and finally start writing, but I'm afraid that I'll be lucky to just keep up with my responsibilities, without any of the extras.

Jan 27, 2011
Considering I started the new year by straight up moving out, and to a totally different city, no less, I don't have a traditional new year's resolution.

I just have a "let's see how well I can make it on my own, at long last" resolution. (First week's been pretty good, mostly just need to survive until my fridge and stuff comes in next weekend)

This is actually a step up from most other yearly resolutions, which all basically boil down to "Keep trying to be the best me I can be"

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Losing those "Christmas pounds", I guess.

But as I prefer to work out through cycling rather than in a gym, that will have to wait until the summer.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Catfood220 said:
I found a great way to get decent exercise is to use bikes to commute if you live in a bike friendly city. It only takes me little half an hour to go seven miles with traffic. Building it into your day makes it hard to flake and gives you an external motivator of getting to work on time/getting home early.