Any tips for cleaning an xbox 360 controller?

xPrometheusx

Aug 9, 2011
Hello Escapists, I need some advice.

Although I'm slowly graduating to PC, I still spend a lot of time on my Xbox. Not enough time to buy xbox live, games for it, or more importantly, a new controller, but enough time that my current controller's condition is kind of annoying. The triggers are a little sluggish, the joysticks sometimes don't return entirely to the original position (they drag a little) and creak around a lot with extended playtime.

Now, some of this is probably wear and tear. I have been using the controller for a year+ now, and such things are expected. But I've also never done any cleaning on it. I think that doing so would help considerably.

So... suggestions for this?

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The triggers might be improved with cleaning (though much more likely what's happened is a weakening of the springs from extended use), but I guarantee that the joysticks are pure wear and tear and they really aren't going to be improved at all even if you clean them.

Anyway, whether the controller is worth cleaning depends on what kind of screws it has holding it together. Some controllers just have normal phillps-head screws, and some have those stupid triangular screws that no one actually has a screw driver for. If you have a controller that uses phillips head screws taking it apart is pretty easy (I've done it a bunch of times with my own controllers). If you have a controller with the triangular screws, it's really not worth going out of your way to open and clean it. I've never really noticed any significant amounts of dirt in any of my controllers when I've opened them up, and definitely not enough to say that the dirt in them has in any way affected the performance of the controllers.

xPrometheusx

Aug 9, 2011
I actually do have the star-head screwdriver to open it. I'm just a little hesitant about doing so, as I don't know whether or not I'd be able to put it back together exactly the way it was.

In any case, you're pretty much saying it wouldn't be worth it anyway, so... thanks :)

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Putting the controller back together is pretty easy (the insides are basically just a single board that all the parts are mounted to), but yeah, it's really not worth taking it apart just to clean it, because I honestly don't think it'll do you any good. The only reasons I've ever opened my controllers is to replace parts. If you really want you could get some replacement springs for the triggers, and some replacement joysticks fort the controller, it's cheaper than buying a new controller and relatively easy to install.

Dr.Panties

Dec 30, 2010
I would recommend washing them in standard washing machine on a regular cycle, and drying them in a microwave on high heat for about three minutes.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
There really is no reason to fret, these are put together in a very simple manner.
I usually take out all the plastic bits and put them in hot water with dishwasher detergent for half an hour and that strips the dirt from every spot.

Simple springs can be stretched slightly so they are longer in their resting position which makes them stiffer when depressed, but those thumb sticks are usually such tightly packed boxes the only fix is replacement (also the resistance pads inside wear out and get inaccurate).

xPrometheusx

Aug 9, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Putting the controller back together is pretty easy (the insides are basically just a single board that all the parts are mounted to), but yeah, it's really not worth taking it apart just to clean it, because I honestly don't think it'll do you any good. The only reasons I've ever opened my controllers is to replace parts. If you really want you could get some replacement springs for the triggers, and some replacement joysticks fort the controller, it's cheaper than buying a new controller and relatively easy to install.
Not a bad idea. Any ideas about where to find places like that? Google gave me a couple of sites, but they all look as shady and questionable as the next, lol.

Dirty Hipsters

Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
xPrometheusx said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
Not a bad idea. Any ideas about where to find places like that? Google gave me a couple of sites, but they all look as shady and questionable as the next, lol.
For stock Xbox 360 trigger springs you can buy here: http://www.modiify.com/store/xbox-360-controller-replacement-trigger-springs.html

If you're interested in experimenting with different spring tensions for your triggers you can buy here (more expensive): http://modsticks.com/replacment-modstick-pro-trigger-spring-set/

If you want to get the joystick replacements you can get them here (but be warned you need to be able to solder): http://www.tmart.com/Replacement-Analog-Stick-Controller-Thumbsticks-Thumb-Joysticks-for-Xbox-360_p123841.html

ItsNotRudy

Mar 11, 2013
I've had the same issue with my Xbox360 Controller and taking it apart is very unnecessary.

Use some silicone spray on the top of the ball bearing of your controller (the rounded parts under the thunmb stick) and a few drops on the side of your triggers.

Then repeatedly press the triggers to let the fluid enter the inside, roll the thumb sticks around to do the same thing there. Then let dry for a few hours until using it again. My controller hasn't squeaked anymore since I did that a year or more ago.

Just make sure to wipe off the spray from the surface you actually intend to use, as silicone spray would make it very slippery :)

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Dr.Panties said:
I would recommend washing them in standard washing machine on a regular cycle, and drying them in a microwave on high heat for about three minutes.
Don't listen to this man! He's a fraud!

...You use low heat for five minutes.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Zachary Amaranth said:
Dr.Panties said:
Don't listen to this man! He's a fraud!

...You use low heat for five minutes.
Don't forget the fabric softener during the washing phase!

I always forget that part >.>

Aug 1, 2010
Get a Q-Tip or toothpick and put olive oil in all the nooks and crannies.

I'm not even kidding.

I did this for my controller and it fixed pretty much all its issues.

If you want to be REALLY thorough, you can just take it about and clean it. It's extremely simple, but you'll need a Torx T8 screwdriver. Microsoft put little stubs in their screw-holes(ehehe) so a normal star-tip won't work.

Also be care when cracking it, sine none of the pieces are actually attached to each other. It'll all just fall into a big pile on the floor if you're not careful.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
xPrometheusx said:
I have been using the controller for a year+ now,

So... suggestions for this?
...How in the hell is your controller so poor in condition after 1 and a bit years? No honestly I really wanna know how much you play your Xbox.

Any way...I've found that using my old guitar strings to clean out the gunk in the crevices does a pretty good job. Also, I once tried wrapping the string in toilet paper and soaking it in some vinegar and getting into the triggers cleaned out my controller pretty well. I will say this though, Triggers and Bumpers can actually be a bit touchy, and after 2 and a half years I had to replace my original controller due to the right bumper and trigger just not working. Whether this was because of the occasional drops, cleaning with guitar strings or old age, I couldn't say for sure, but many of my friends have had similar issues.

xPrometheusx

Aug 9, 2011
Until recently, I played several hours a day. It was pretty much all I did.

Anyways, this was all very helpful and when I go to clean it tonight, I'll be using a lot of the tricks given here. Thank you all!