Any Vegetarians Out There

Eddie the head

Feb 22, 2012
My roommate is. But she "identifies" as a vegetarian about as much as you identify as a ape. Yeah she's is one but, no one cares.

Ivailo Todorov

Sep 24, 2013
CyberSinner said:
shootthebandit said:
I eat a lot of meat. Id say in the UK it must be very hard to avoid eating meat.

the problem with being a vegetarian and even more so a vegan is that you dont get the same amount of nutrients as us meat eaters. Yes a meat free diet is healthier but meat definitely has its benefits. Of all the vegetarians ive known they have all been very skinny. Im not saying we should all go out of our way to be fat but its important to get some sort of protein and fat into your diet

just out of interest OP can you still eat fish? Fish is probably a better source of protein than meat and its also very lean. It also contains fatty acids like omega 3
I end up breaking out if I eat fish. I mean I can eat in small small doses. Especially if I am going to some sort of special thing and my whole entire family just doesn't know what to get me. But I will eventually break out.

@Ivalio: I think I already said above, that it isn't for the fuzzy animals for me. But I do believe we need a better way to produce and consume. I also think that there is "no honor in beating the weak". All though I understand that some people see a cow as just that product, that cow cannot fight back and usually is confined, in this position and situation it is weak. There is no honor to hit it, kick it, beat it. And I am a firm believer that Our Food is Our Health. So if we pump our food with terrible stuff like anitbiotics, make them eat their brothers and sisters, etc. whatever it may be. How do you think effects us health wise?
Honor is not really a thing with me when dealing with animals that can't defend themselves.Just like showing sympathy towards weak animals,being honorable is something we wouldn't have if we weren't human.Besides last I checked plants are living things too,you walk on grass despite it being unable to fight back.On the antibiotics dealio,as long as it doesn't hurt the consumer it's fine by me.Those animals were literally created by human influence to feed humans and have no moral compass (atleast that I am aware of).Besides if it's healthy its off to the bloody place where cows seem to enter a lot but not come out that often.What we the consumers don't see won't hurt us.Im just gonna go ahead and use that famous quote from that one famous guy:"If slaughterhouses had glass walls,we'd all be vegetarian".

CyberSinner

Apr 21, 2014
Ivailo Todorov said:
CyberSinner said:
shootthebandit said:
I eat a lot of meat. Id say in the UK it must be very hard to avoid eating meat.

the problem with being a vegetarian and even more so a vegan is that you dont get the same amount of nutrients as us meat eaters. Yes a meat free diet is healthier but meat definitely has its benefits. Of all the vegetarians ive known they have all been very skinny. Im not saying we should all go out of our way to be fat but its important to get some sort of protein and fat into your diet

just out of interest OP can you still eat fish? Fish is probably a better source of protein than meat and its also very lean. It also contains fatty acids like omega 3
I end up breaking out if I eat fish. I mean I can eat in small small doses. Especially if I am going to some sort of special thing and my whole entire family just doesn't know what to get me. But I will eventually break out.

@Ivalio: I think I already said above, that it isn't for the fuzzy animals for me. But I do believe we need a better way to produce and consume. I also think that there is "no honor in beating the weak". All though I understand that some people see a cow as just that product, that cow cannot fight back and usually is confined, in this position and situation it is weak. There is no honor to hit it, kick it, beat it. And I am a firm believer that Our Food is Our Health. So if we pump our food with terrible stuff like anitbiotics, make them eat their brothers and sisters, etc. whatever it may be. How do you think effects us health wise?
Honor is not really a thing with me when dealing with animals that can't defend themselves.Just like showing sympathy towards weak animals,being honorable is something we wouldn't have if we weren't human.Besides last I checked plants are living things too,you walk on grass despite it being unable to fight back.On the antibiotics dealio,as long as it doesn't hurt the consumer it's fine by me.Those animals were literally created by human influence to feed humans and have no moral compass (atleast that I am aware of).Besides if it's healthy its off to the bloody place where cows seem to enter a lot but not come out that often.What we the consumers don't see won't hurt us.Im just gonna go ahead and use that famous quote from that one famous guy:"If slaughterhouses had glass walls,we'd all be vegetarian".
I kind of wanted to avoid this conversation as I said in my above post. Because I really wanted this thread to be the passion of meatless cooking. I cannot eat meat. There is nothing I can do to fix that. So instead of thinking that I was dealt a bad hand, how about instead we all share stories of food and our vegetarian esquapades?

My position is that I am not a Species Right Activist. There are some things I do not agree with the industry that comes with the treatment of other Species. But that isn't why I became a vegetarian or why I am eating a plant based diet.

I am Food Activist. I want healthy, right food for people. That doesn't include, "no meat" as a value. But it does include, healthy, safe allergy free food. I am tired of Milk, which I am lactose intolerant with a mild dairy allergy, being everywhere it shouldn't. Other odd ingredients that just don't belong. I want food free from hormones and I want food that is healthy for humans to eat.

With the increase of diseases created by diet alone. There is obviously something grossly wrong with the way our industry is producing food. With the increase of allergies, diet based diseases, there is something wrong.

And it isn't an argument about meat or no meat. It's an argument, that should concern everybody, based on healthy for us or bad for us. Everyone should be concerned with how they are producing our food. Because that affects how long, how far, and how well we live.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Unfortunately, despite being at a university that has an A-rank in vegan friendliness, I normally don't have access to a lot of good vegetarian choices. For the most part, we're limited to the vegetarian options at Subway and Pollo Tropical, as well as a ridiculously limited salad bar and stir-fry station at some of the dining halls. Needless to say, trying to have a vegetarian diet there is somewhat bland, and it would actually be reasonably difficult to get enough protein given how few of their vegetarian options actually contain high protein foods. They're there, but it is highly limited, and eating it day after day is really hard to stomach after a while. As a result, my desire to pursue a vegetarian diet, or at least a pescatarian one, has been put on hold for the next couple of years. With that said, I do plan on at least trying again this next year. And no, cooking my own meals is not an option. I don't have the time or money for that.

As for why I choose (or at least want) to have a vegetarian (or pescatarian) diet is due to a mix of ethics, health, and taste. While I can handle meat, I notice a significant positive difference in my energy when I choose to avoid meat (not including fish), and my body tends to respond at least marginally better to non-meat products (again, not including fish). I also vastly prefer the taste of vegetarian dishes, and there are very few non-seafood meat dishes that I'd put on the same level. Finally, while I don't have an issue with killing and eating animals, I do have a serious issue with the way we raise and kill them. We should be doing whatever we can to minimize their suffering, and frankly, major meat producers just don't do that.

Ivailo Todorov

Sep 24, 2013
CyberSinner said:
Ivailo Todorov said:
CyberSinner said:
shootthebandit said:

I kind of wanted to avoid this conversation as I said in my above post. Because I really wanted this thread to be the passion of meatless cooking. I cannot eat meat. There is nothing I can do to fix that. So instead of thinking that I was dealt a bad hand, how about instead we all share stories of food and our vegetarian esquapades?

My position is that I am not a Species Right Activist. There are some things I do not agree with the industry that comes with the treatment of other Species. But that isn't why I became a vegetarian or why I am eating a plant based diet.

I am Food Activist. I want healthy, right food for people. That doesn't include, "no meat" as a value. But it does include, healthy, safe allergy free food. I am tired of Milk, which I am lactose intolerant with a mild dairy allergy, being everywhere it shouldn't. Other odd ingredients that just don't belong. I want food free from hormones and I want food that is healthy for humans to eat.

With the increase of diseases created by diet alone. There is obviously something grossly wrong with the way our industry is producing food. With the increase of allergies, diet based diseases, there is something wrong.

And it isn't an argument about meat or no meat. It's an argument, that should concern everybody, based on healthy for us or bad for us. Everyone should be concerned with how they are producing our food. Because that affects how long, how far, and how well we live.
Sorry for bringing the conversation where it shouldn't be.My fault on that one :D.By the way I feel for ya man,allergic to meat and being lactose intollerant...damn thats harsh.

I know what you mean by wanting pure food free of hormones,but you have to realise that from a manufacturing standpoint thats kinda hard.Without external help vegetables grow slowly,are very suspectible to external harm and some foods are even season specific.In the end everything boils down to money.Hormones mean faster growth,faster growth means more food,more food means more buyers,more buyers means more money,more money indicates a good formula.Corporations value profit over the consumer's health so no way that's happening anytime soon.Besides there are brands that are hormone free.However to compensate for the fact that they had to wait an entire year for their produce to fully mature and get market ready they need to drastically up the cost.For example grass-fed beef costs a significant amount more than mass-produced beef.To sum up:Making sure the consumer is healthy is also really expensive for companies,thus they make it more expensive for the customer,so it's harder for poor people to eat healthier and they resort to mass-produced/hormone influenced food.

CyberSinner

Apr 21, 2014
Ivailo Todorov said:
CyberSinner said:
Ivailo Todorov said:
CyberSinner said:
shootthebandit said:

Sorry for bringing the conversation where it shouldn't be.My fault on that one :D.By the way I feel for ya man,allergic to meat and being lactose intollerant...damn thats harsh.

I know what you mean by wanting pure food free of hormones,but you have to realise that from a manufacturing standpoint thats kinda hard.Without external help vegetables grow slowly,are very suspectible to external harm and some foods are even season specific.In the end everything boils down to money.Hormones mean faster growth,faster growth means more food,more food means more buyers,more buyers means more money,more money indicates a good formula.Corporations value profit over the consumer's health so no way that's happening anytime soon.Besides there are brands that are hormone free.However to compensate for the fact that they had to wait an entire year for their produce to fully mature and get market ready they need to drastically up the cost.For example grass-fed beef costs a significant amount more than mass-produced beef.To sum up:Making sure the consumer is healthy is also really expensive for companies,thus they make it more expensive for the customer,so it's harder for poor people to eat healthier and they resort to mass-produced/hormone influenced food.
I understand that without the hormones. But you know I am fine with that and sometimes we can do without stuff. I guess with my background of Natural Resources, trust me I know how damn it is hard from their side too. I am not afraid of GMO foods because tbh the Potato we have in the grocery store is a lot different than a wild potato. Have you seen a wild carrot? So tiny. We've been genetically modifying food for years.

But people need to stop wanting so much now. I find it more of a convenience. For example my sibling is not vegetarian. However, he eats buffalo [local supplier here]. He eats local. We went to the local co-op today and the chickens weren't laying any eggs so they weren't any on the shelf. You know what my brother said, "that's okay I can do without it?"

Why do we have to have something?

Because even now with the way we're producing, there still isn't enough for people.

Either way. I rather much talk about tasty food and um nicer stuff.

Ninmecu

May 31, 2011
CyberSinner said:
Because even now with the way we're producing, there still isn't enough for people
That's an inherent flaw with the way we've produced food by and large for the masses, rather than sustainability, for decades it's been "bottom line > Everything else."

On topic, I'm a meat eater, descendant of a long line of Algonquin, I've got Celiac(Wheat allergy) and lactose intolerence, so it limits my options food wise. I'm at my healthiest when I'm eating meat and animal fats galore. I'd rather see a large scale re-doing of the food industry as a whole, but as I said, the bottom line is what stops us from being able to move forward for the betterment of all as a species. And I'd hate to not be able to absorb the protein in meats, the days where I don't eat meat I get sick as a dog.

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
What's strange is being able to choose to eat meat or not - the vast majority of humans in history have had to eat whatever they were able to. This may account for why discussions of this sort rarely go well.

As we do have a choice, it's clearly moral to not eat meat, in the same sense that if a biological animal species came to earth and was in a position to either eat humans or not, it would be moral to not eat humans, even when humans are tasty to them.

The underlying logic of eating meat is that animals deserve to be killed since they are unable to prevent their enslavement. The contempt and scorn of predators for livestock. Part of not eating meat is breaking down the master/slave food relations in general, which is why meat-eating is seen, and will be increasingly seen in the future, as right-wing and imperialist.

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
Oddly enough, I'm actually kind of the other end of the spectrum. Due to allergies and some eating disorders my diet is extremely limited. Eliminating meat from my diet is most likely not possible as I'd have virtually no source of iron or protein.

I really wish people would realize that not everyone has the ability to eat the way that they do. Diets are a very personal and potentially embarrassing subject and people should be allowed privacy in regards to them.

CyberSinner

Apr 21, 2014
Scott Rothman said:
Oddly enough, I'm actually kind of the other end of the spectrum. Due to allergies and some eating disorders my diet is extremely limited. Eliminating meat from my diet is most likely not possible as I'd have virtually no source of iron or protein.

I really wish people would realize that not everyone has the ability to eat the way that they do. Diets are a very personal and potentially embarrassing subject and people should be allowed privacy in regards to them.
I don't have anything against people who eat meat. I never said it was wrong. I do not see it as an argument of meat or no meat. Because I cannot eat meat. I feel like I am repeating myself. I am allergic to meat.

And I wanted to this thread about tasty food and fun stuff about diets. Not the whole dark argument and debates.

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
CyberSinner said:
Scott Rothman said:

I don't have anything against people who eat meat. I never said it was wrong. I do not see it as an argument of meat or no meat. Because I cannot eat meat. I feel like I am repeating myself. I am allergic to meat.

And I wanted to this thread about tasty food and fun stuff about diets. Not the whole dark argument and debates.
Oh no no no, I wasn't referring to you at all.

I was just referring in general how people can be very judgmental about other people's diets without considering the reasoning behind it. I have received a good bit of ire in the past from people who somewhat vocally disapproved of my diet without realizing that I don't really have much of a choice.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Ubiquitous Duck said:
My sister also gets a load of joy from people when they find out that she doesn't drink. Not through bad experiences or any sort of moral code that necessitates it, she's just not interested in it. People don't seem to accept that, although to be fair it's often in jest.
This. Sorry, I'm not a vegetarian so I feel kinda weird commenting, but I saw this and I just had to agree with it. I really, really hate how so few people seem to accept the fact that I don't like and don't drink alcohol. It's not a religious thing. I just don't like the taste, I don't like the sort of burn of the alcohol, I especially don't like the thought of getting drunk, and I loathe with a burning passion how often people try to pawn it off on me. I don't want it, I don't like it, it's not because of religion or morality or allergies, I just don't like it. I'm not sure why everyone has such a hard time understanding that, much less respecting it.

CyberSinner

Apr 21, 2014
Scott Rothman said:
CyberSinner said:
Scott Rothman said:

Oh no no no, I wasn't referring to you at all.

I was just referring in general how people can be very judgmental about other people's diets without considering the reasoning behind it. I have received a good bit of ire in the past from people who somewhat vocally disapproved of my diet without realizing that I don't really have much of a choice.
Oh sorry I misunderstood.

Saetha said:
Ubiquitous Duck said:
My sister also gets a load of joy from people when they find out that she doesn't drink. Not through bad experiences or any sort of moral code that necessitates it, she's just not interested in it. People don't seem to accept that, although to be fair it's often in jest.

This. Sorry, I'm not a vegetarian so I feel kinda weird commenting, but I saw this and I just had to agree with it. I really, really hate how so few people seem to accept the fact that I don't like and don't drink alcohol. It's not a religious thing. I just don't like the taste, I don't like the sort of burn of the alcohol, I especially don't like the thought of getting drunk, and I loathe with a burning passion how often people try to pawn it off on me. I don't want it, I don't like it, it's not because of religion or morality or allergies, I just don't like it. I'm not sure why everyone has such a hard time understanding that, much less respecting it.
Its fine. And I also agree. I do not drink a lot. I rarely drink and even when I do its just like a sip of what my brother is having. I hate the taste of alcohol. I hate the idea of getting drunk.

However, at the same time it is due to familial reasons. On one side of my family everyone is addicted to caffeine, and on another they are addicted to alcohol. But on the family side of drinking soda, soda, soda, there are some alcoholics.

My family is suspetible to addiction, so I refrain from stuff that is a vice or an addiction. I refuse to be that type of person.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
im a vegetarian... thou i will occasionally eat some fish since it's good for you. other then that i haven't eaten meat in like.. i don't know.. 8 years or so.. i also read all packaging to food i eat making sure theres no hydrogenated oils in it or too much salt

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
CyberSinner said:
Though maybe for me, I simply know more because of my college background. For me, knowing and being educated on the food industry and big business food industry it makes me cautious.

I find it funny sometimes. That people worry about the weather or something trivial. And the one thing everyone should be worried about they aren't, which is their food. What's in my food? How was this made? Does this companies values match up with mine?

There is still, to this day, one quote that I love. And its from Food Inc. "We as consumers vote with our wallet, with what we bough" Being the type of person I am, I am the freak who researches business practices, ingredients in food, food ethics, how the food was ship.

I am that annoying asshole who has to ask about how and where it came from. Because that's what we all should be doing.

The Health of Our Food is the Health of Us and our Well Being. I know this now more than ever with my strange food allergies.
You are what you eat as they say. And it all boils down to basic education. Where does it come from? How do you source it? How do you prepare and cook it? All that good stuff!

ViridianV6

Sep 15, 2013
I am omnivorous, but generally take one day of the week where I don't eat meat. Not sure if it is related or not but I tend to feel less stressed on that day. Most of the stuff I cook on those days tend to either be curries or stirfrys becuase they have the consistency of meat dishes which makes it more satisfying.

CyberSinner

Apr 21, 2014
ViridianV6 said:
I am omnivorous, but generally take one day of the week where I don't eat meat. Not sure if it is related or not but I tend to feel less stressed on that day. Most of the stuff I cook on those days tend to either be curries or stirfrys becuase they have the consistency of meat dishes which makes it more satisfying.

I actually quite like curry and stir fry.

Its easy to make them into simple vegetarian dishes.

white_wolf

Aug 23, 2013
CyberSinner said:
white_wolf said:
CyberSinner said:
white_wolf said:
I can relate OP I was forced off one of my most favorite foods: milk and all the tastiness that goes with it! I got a mystery condition and I was forced off milk as its one of several triggers. I loved cheese, milk, heck loads of things have milk in it even things you never thought of and then you have to find all the hidden words that also are biproducts or new ways of saying milk like whey did you know a "dairy free" coffee creamer may still contain dairy? Heck even some Ramen brands I can't touch! It sucks! Finding dairy free products and cooking is a challenge at times it also doesn't help I'm not a fan of soy the taste isn't to my liking but I'm doing it and learning and thats all its going to be at this point.
When I was doing a research project in my college courses, in my Natural Resource class. My classmates were all dairy drinkers, none of them had a nut allergy thank god, but I did a taste test.

Would you be surprised what got drunk faster? Not the cows milk, which had 2 gallons. But the Almond Milk, which I had 2 gallons of it. By the end of class, I was left with half a gallon and a full gallon of cows milk. No Almond milk, and 2 full gallons of soymilk.

Maybe you should try Almond milk, it has the richness and thickness of dairy milk and even the sweetness. For cooking I suggest, for mash potatos using Oat Milk which is actually really good and has a much more sutble flavor. And for baking I suggest Almond Milk or Coconut milk.

Trust me I have been lactose intolerant all my life and I'll be honest some soymilk is very watery tasting. Almond milk is delicious to drink or bake with, I am the type of person who doesn't like my food to have a weird nutty flavor so I went with Oat milk for my mash potatos and any regular cooking. Coconut milk I like to bake with.

Talking about baking. I have a lot of eggless, dairy free baking goods.

@Random Argument Man: Thanks for the link, a lot of those recipes look tasty. But I am just one guy with no life, and I tend to shy away from recipes that say "serves 4" because I am 1 person. And prefer not to have leftovers.
Haven't tried oat flavored in my area I've never seen it but I have tried out regular almond and I really don't like it maybe if I bake with it. Right now the least food altering one I've tried and can live with is rice milk but I've got to be very picky about what I'll bake/cook with it as it can be a huge guessing game. Coconut works well enough for ice cream but since you might know alot better then me I read I could use fat canned coconut milk to substitute for heavy cream have you tired that does it really work? I have a lot of soups I gave up on because it needs that ingredient. With my area they don't have alot of vegan or dairyfree items even when they're stated right on the box to be dairy free (like creamers) I have to go over it all carefully I'm looking into ordering foods via online right now but I'm worried about the items reaching me in a good state as they keep stating on the sites I need to cold pack them because the trucks they ship in aren't refrigerated.

Coconut milk in the can works as a creamer. If you season it right, I suppose it can be used for regular old cooking. Here is basically what I use and by no ways do I have a lot of money. I am actually currently unemployed, but I refuse to have a break out or go back to my old ways. I am currently on Foodstamps, please let's not start any arguments about that because it just upsets me, and they cut the Foodstamps quite aways away. Even though I have told them I am unemployed they are currently giving me only 18 dollars. But when I can.

Baking Milk Alternatives:

-Almond Milk or Coconut Milk or even Coconut Cream in the can

Cooking Milk Alternatives:

-Oat Milk
-Soymilk

^Both Oat and Soy are mild in flavor so I use it for every other recipe. Like if I am making alfredo or something.

Drinking Milk Alternative:

-I never really was a big "milk" drinker. I was born lactose intolerant all my life, so soymilk has always never been very tasty. But if I am going to drink "milk" I go for

Almond Milk, flavored kinds, chocolate or vanilla, and I recently discovered frequen Strawberry yummm

Coconut Milk, flavored, but I just kind of only like chocolate

Soymilk, flavored, but once again chocolate hahahaa

Oh and talking about my Alfredo, you won't believe that I do not use butter or heavy cream. Some of my omnivore visitors, because to be quite frank I am a the Token Icon NEET, always compliment me on it and ask my secret. I never tell them, but I'll tell you guys.

So my Alfredo calls for:

-Soymilk or Oat Milk
-Hummus Garlic or any variant like Spinach or Avacado
-Nutrional Yeast
-Secret seasonings that I won't tell you [garlic powder, onion powder, etc.]

It always turns out delicious.

Oh also another trick. If you're using a meatless meat, if you want to get some smokey flavors into it try these techniques:

-Use a Steak Rub in groundless beef or seitan chunks for beef
-For seitan chunks for Pork use Bacon Salt
-For seitan chunks for chicken use a Vegetable Bouillon or Poultry Seasoning
Thanks for the tips! I was trying to find an Alfredo that didn't have the nuts in it!

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
shootthebandit said:

What makes you say that? I'm in the UK, and though I lost some weight when I became vegetarian, it wasn't much. I'm still well within healthy parameters, and I don't have to do much diet planning at all.

Never had to worry about protein, honestly. I think people tend to see meat as far more central to a diet than it need be.

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
I tried once, out of environmental rather than ethical concerns. I failed after about 2 weeks because whilst I like eating, I hate cooking and cutting out meat reduced the number of meals I could make to about two.

Then I went to the shops, and they had a deal on 'Scottish Breakfast packs' which contain sausages, black pudding, square sausage, hash browns etc. and I bought two packs and ate ALL of it, and it. was. glorious.

I know if I was at all morally consistent I'd try again, but I just can't face the thought of going through perpetual trial by lentil again.