Anybody here play Planetside 2???

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
It's been out for a while, and I've been somewhat keeping an eye on for a while, despite not being able to play it.

Now that I finally can, does anybody recommend it or have any insight? Anybody part of a clan/guild/squad whatever?

seris

Oct 14, 2013
Look up Wrel on youtube. he has a ton of really useful beginners guides on planetside 2. Besides that, i have a BR 42 Vanu Sovereignty character on connery (US West)

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Like Seris said, Wrel is probably the most down to earth, chillest dude I've seen out there with great info on Planetside 2, he's very clear and to the point when talking about aspects of the game, what to do, ways to play, ways to be better etc.

https://www.youtube.com/user/WarpathWrel

I haven't played the game for almost a year due to the updates taking their toll on my machine (the game being quite CPU intensive instead of GPU) which meant I couldn't play even on low settings to get a stable 60fps even though I was rocking a 660ti at the time which can handle it but my old i7 could not, I'll be ordering new parts this week and a friend is donating me a spare brand new i5 with another friend having given me his 680 until I save enough for a GTX 980, I'll pretty much be able to hop back on with the friend who gave me his i5 and have good times once more.

Definitely a good FPS though, probably my favourite since BLOPS 1, even with the micro trans annoying me and cert grind it's still good fun.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Didn't play it for a long time since all bigger battles made my game come to a crawl.
But to have any fun you need tutorials on how to get shit, how to orient yourself and how to run with other players, otherwise you are just constantly lost and random strangers run all over the place with no team play.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
seris said:
Look up Wrel on youtube. he has a ton of really useful beginners guides on planetside 2. Besides that, i have a BR 42 Vanu Sovereignty character on connery (US West)
I'm US East. Do you know what servers are active so I could have the best experience?

I've seen Connery mentioned a lot.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yo.

Played for quite some time when it was new, and popped back in regularly until the updates gave my outdated computer insurmountable performance issues.

It's basically Battlefield on crack, minus the pretty, crossed with an MMO.

I would recommend checking it out if you're interested. It's free after all.

Be prepared for a rough entry though. There's no matchmaking or anything, everyone on the server is just thrown in together on the same huge maps. There will be a lot of people who have been playing it for some time who know what they're doing and have a ton of upgrades. Expect to die a lot to players who are a bit more powerful and infinitely more skilled.

My biggest recommendation would be, if you find yourself enjoying it, find a clan. Look for one with competent squad/platoon leaders and active communication. Running in a good squad makes the game twice as fun.

Also, second the recommendation of checking out Wrel's Youtube channel that someone linked above. He's a cool guy, has tons of info, from new player guides, upgrade guides, weapon reviews, you name it. All presented in a clear, non-frothy manner.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
I used to play it and I keep meaning to go back. I always enjoyed hiking off into the hills with my sniper rifle while a huge battle raged nearby.

DFDelta

Dec 4, 2011
Some hints:

Infantry vs infantry combat is rather balanced. With some noteable exceptions (Light Assault jetpacks and medic/engi hand tool mostly) the highest tier upgrades for infantry don't offer too much advantage over a rank 2 upgrade that you can get very early.
As an example, Nanoweave (reduces damage taken from small arms) on rank 5, which costs over a thousand certs to obtain only lets you survive 2 shots extra on average in short range combat (where most infantry combat takes place), while rank 2 (11 certs total, takes about 15 minutes to get at most) already lets you survive one extra hit.
Get the cheap upgrades early, try them out and then decide in which ones you want to invest further.

All starter weapons for infantry are also perfectly useful. With one exception (Gauss Saw for the NC Heavy Assault) all of them are perfectly useable with minimal upgrades. Don't start investing in alternative guns too early, except if you really can't handle one of the starters. If you decide to replace one of your guns remember that there is a "test" option for weapons, so don't go in and buy one for certs or even cash before trying it out first.
The only thing you really should get early is a ground-to-air lockon launcher for the heavy assault.

The probably fastest way to earn certs as a beginner is to play medic. Invest heaviely in your medic tool (it pays for itself very quickly), follow around a bunch of guys who look like they know what they are doing and do what they do (and revive them if they die).
They get an extra medic (who brings the most useful class ability (revives) and an assault rifle (generally the best class of gun in my opinion) and you get to swim in revive XP and probably assist kills while being behind a bunch of friendly meat shields.
Reviving gives almost as much XP as a kill, a well certed tool revives almost as fast as some guns kill and the allied corpses you pick up won't shoot at you. Not to meantion that there is usually a lot of them around.

For vehicles on the other hand the differences between a certed battle tank and one spawned by a fresh player are HUGE.
If you want to be a tank driver get a high rank on your engie tool first. Once you have it at least on 3 or 4 start looking for tanks that have open gunner seats. If you end up with an anti-infantry gun keep the suicide C4 guys away (highest priority) from your driver and bag a few guys with rocket launchers in between and he will love you. If you manage to farm some extra kills even better.
If you end up with a anti-vehicle gun shoot what the driver is shooting and he will love you.
Spot (tap "Q" by default) everything that looks interesting to bring it to your drivers attention and please, please, please don't randomly shoot at the ground or at targets near render distance. Many high-certed tanks run stealth (probably even most) which makes tanks invisible to radar unless they shoot any of their guns and I have lost possibly over a hundred (not hyperbole) tanks because my gunner decided to provoke a Liberator anti-tank gunship which has not even noticed us yet with a gun that can't even damage it.

If you keep to that you'll most likely end up with a few experienced tankers on your friends list before long (we always look for not-braindead gunners), and if you ask nicely they might even give you their tank for you to drive (if you spawn a vehicle you can open it up to members of your squad, so he can give it to you to play with until it gets destroyed). Use those certs you earn that way to upgrade your own tank until it is combat ready.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
DFDelta said:
The probably fastest way to earn certs as a beginner is to play medic. Invest heaviely in your medic tool (it pays for itself very quickly), follow around a bunch of guys who look like they know what they are doing and do what they do (and revive them if they die).
They get an extra medic (who brings the most useful class ability (revives) and an assault rifle (generally the best class of gun in my opinion) and you get to swim in revive XP and probably assist kills while being behind a bunch of friendly meat shields.
Reviving gives almost as much XP as a kill, a well certed tool revives almost as fast as some guns kill and the allied corpses you pick up won't shoot at you. Not to meantion that there is usually a lot of them around.
I tried doing that, but for some reason it wasn't working. Maybe I was too far away, I don't know. Do they need to accept the heal once they die? I just started playing, when I try to review people nothing happens, then I get shot by the same people who killed the guy I'm trying to revive. I'd like to earn certs quickly. So maybe I'll keep trying that.

For vehicles on the other hand the differences between a certed battle tank and one spawned by a fresh player are HUGE.
I'm laughing my ass off as I write this. I just got out of session (I was Terran) where we were fighting NC Vanguards. Two of them were outfitted to the teeth and could not be killed, no matter what we tried. They just camped up on a hill and fired down into our little biolab complex on Indar.

I'm still trying to figure out which faction I like best. Seems like it's going to be either NC or TR.

DFDelta

Dec 4, 2011
Ishal said:
I tried doing that, but for some reason it wasn't working. Maybe I was too far away, I don't know. Do they need to accept the heal once they die? I just started playing, when I try to review people nothing happens, then I get shot by the same people who killed the guy I'm trying to revive. I'd like to earn certs quickly. So maybe I'll keep trying that.
With the med-tool in hand left mouse button sends a healing beam to still alive allies, pretty useless because people usually come only in 3 states:
1. Alive and at full health.
2. Dead.
3. Almost unwounded and currently healing due to their regen-implant.

Right mouse button sends a revive beam to the corpse you're aiming at (rank 1 range is rather low, but it increases by 0.5 meters per rank or so). Look at the body, if he is lying flat he can be revived but if he is kinda propped up on his elbows (sorta, hard to explain) he has already been revived and the game is only waiting for him to accept.

Ishal said:
I'm laughing my ass off as I write this. I just got out of session (I was Terran) where we were fighting NC Vanguards. Two of them were outfitted to the teeth and could not be killed, no matter what we tried. They just camped up on a hill and fired down into our little biolab complex on Indar.

I'm still trying to figure out which faction I like best. Seems like it's going to be either NC or TR.
Yeah, that can happen.
Well outfitted tanks with drivers that know what they are doing can be pain to deal with.
Vanguards have higher armor and a shield ability, so trading blows at long range (where they can repair and recharge between exchanges) is next to useless. As crazy as it sounds, your best bet in that case is to get some infantry around and attack them fast and hard from as close as possible. Vannies accelerate and handle like a turtle with asthma which makes them even more vulnerable to close up infantry then other tanks.
Same is true if you ever end up fighting entrenched terran prowlers.

Zipzip the Penguin

Feb 14, 2013
Before I get into the meat of things, let me start by saying that Planetside 2 and it's dev team just got bought out, so don't get too attached as things are likely to go downhill very very fast.

Now then.

Firstly, go on YouTube and look up some new player guides. Those help a lot, as the actual ingame tutorial leaves more than a few questions unanswered. I recommend Wrel (seems to be pretty popular in this thread). He's pretty much the man to go to about anything Planetside, and has an up-to-date new player video up and ready to watch, as well as certification guides for the Light Assault, Heavy Assault, and Medic.

Secondly, take a good amount of time to decide what faction you want to main, as having 3 characters in all different factions and trying to play them all at the same time is a royal pain. I would recommend the Vanu, as their weapons are well balanced between accuracy, damage, and firing rate and are in general the most well-rounded faction. Also we have hovertanks. I've seen a lot of new players frustrated by the low firing rate and unwieldiness of NC weapons, so I would recommend against them. The TR are just fine though, their weapons' traits benefit new players as well as being devastating in the hands of an veteran.

Third, find yourself a good outfit. And I do mean a GOOD outfit, as there are plenty of huge and useless outfits out there that will only aid in killing any interest you have in the game. Take your time in picking. If you go TR like you say, I would recommend the Black Widows or Angels of Death. Those are pretty solid. If you choose the Vanu though, give Azure Twilight a shot.

Fourth, don't get frustrated. A lot of the time, you're going to be running solo. If you find yourself dying a lot, look at your odds. If you only have 12-24 versus an enemy 96+ in 1 hex, it's time to fight on a different front. If you have about even odds, take a moment to think about how to approach your problem differently. More than a few times I have slammed my head into a brick wall as a Heavy or Max unit, only to slaughter them as a different class. Also, try not to spread your certs too thin, because it'll feel like you're not making any progress. In addition, don't cert into vehicles early, as those can be massive cert sinks. Just common courtesy, /tell (username) someone an apology if you TK someone. It turns out well for everyone.

Lastly, if you want some coaching, or are just looking for someone to run with, my IGN's are:
Lsgaf-Vanu (main)
ZipzipthePenguin-TR
CaptainCheezit-NC

I'm online quite a bit. Don't be afraid to /tell me.

Sorry for the Wall 'o Text, but I just wanted to pass what I knew on to try and teach a new player as much as I could.
And don't know how to format.
Mostly teaching though.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
DFDelta said:
All starter weapons for infantry are also perfectly useful. With one exception (Gauss Saw for the NC Heavy Assault) all of them are perfectly useable with minimal upgrades.
I smell someone dissin' mah God Saw.

Seriously though, once one learns to burst fire instead of spraying, the basic NC Gauss Saw is a beast.

DFDelta

Dec 4, 2011
Zhukov said:
DFDelta said:
All starter weapons for infantry are also perfectly useful. With one exception (Gauss Saw for the NC Heavy Assault) all of them are perfectly useable with minimal upgrades.

Seriously though, once one learns to burst fire instead of spraying, the basic NC Gauss Saw is a beast.
Not dissing, just saying how it is.
The Gauss Saw is the only gun amongst the starters I would not put into a newbies hands without any attachments. Honestly it is probably the one infantry weapon even I would not use without any upgrades.
But once it has the certs put into it it surely becomes beastly.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Zipzip the Penguin said:
Before I get into the meat of things, let me start by saying that Planetside 2 and it's dev team just got bought out, so don't get too attached as things are likely to go downhill very very fast.
Yeah, I started playing and just realized what happened. Man, what a time to get involved in a cool new game, huh? Hopefully things just continue business as usual.

Firstly, go on YouTube and look up some new player guides. Those help a lot, as the actual ingame tutorial leaves more than a few questions unanswered. I recommend Wrel (seems to be pretty popular in this thread). He's pretty much the man to go to about anything Planetside, and has an up-to-date new player video up and ready to watch, as well as certification guides for the Light Assault, Heavy Assault, and Medic.
Been there done that. Wrel is pretty cool. I've watched quite a few of his videos. I'll watch his stuff on certs and medics next.

Secondly, take a good amount of time to decide what faction you want to main, as having 3 characters in all different factions and trying to play them all at the same time is a royal pain. I would recommend the Vanu, as their weapons are well balanced between accuracy, damage, and firing rate and are in general the most well-rounded faction. Also we have hovertanks. I've seen a lot of new players frustrated by the low firing rate and unwieldiness of NC weapons, so I would recommend against them. The TR are just fine though, their weapons' traits benefit new players as well as being devastating in the hands of an veteran.
Yeah, everyone seems to be in love with Vanu. I dunno though, TR is pretty fun so far. Vanu's weapons are just kinda bleh, not really satisfying, but I'll keep playing around to see what I like.

Third, find yourself a good outfit. And I do mean a GOOD outfit, as there are plenty of huge and useless outfits out there that will only aid in killing any interest you have in the game. Take your time in picking. If you go TR like you say, I would recommend the Black Widows or Angels of Death. Those are pretty solid. If you choose the Vanu though, give Azure Twilight a shot.
I'm not as concerned with outfits yet. Just started playing today, really. Plus it goes with the whole "don't get attached" advice you gave earlier. Makes sense to me.

Fourth, don't get frustrated. A lot of the time, you're going to be running solo. If you find yourself dying a lot, look at your odds. If you only have 12-24 versus an enemy 96+ in 1 hex, it's time to fight on a different front. If you have about even odds, take a moment to think about how to approach your problem differently. More than a few times I have slammed my head into a brick wall as a Heavy or Max unit, only to slaughter them as a different class. Also, try not to spread your certs too thin, because it'll feel like you're not making any progress. In addition, don't cert into vehicles early, as those can be massive cert sinks. Just common courtesy, /tell (username) someone an apology if you TK someone. It turns out well for everyone.
I got frustrated during my last playthrough. Nothing I did worked. I got like 3 kills, and killed 30+ times by certed up NC veterans. However, earlier I defended a TR outpost in a skyguard. I shot down two Valkyries and drove off an attack. That felt damn good. Guess it just depends.

Lastly, if you want some coaching, or are just looking for someone to run with, my IGN's are:
Lsgaf-Vanu (main)
ZipzipthePenguin-TR
CaptainCheezit-NC

I'm online quite a bit. Don't be afraid to /tell me.

Sorry for the Wall 'o Text, but I just wanted to pass what I knew on to try and teach a new player as much as I could.
And don't know how to format.
Mostly teaching though.
I appreciate the info. I'd love to run with you or anyone else. But unfortunately I'm just getting into it, and I like to go solo til I can feel I'm not a burden to those I'm playing with. Plus, I just built my computer and still need a headset w/mic. So I wouldn't be much help, I fear.

I just hope I can keep from having too many nights like tonight.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
DFDelta said:
Zhukov said:
DFDelta said:

Not dissing, just saying how it is.
The Gauss Saw is the only gun amongst the starters I would not put into a newbies hands without any attachments. Honestly it is probably the one infantry weapon even I would not use without any upgrades.
But once it has the certs put into it it surely becomes beastly.
Ya, that's true enough.

I actually learned the Heavy ropes using an Anchor, before returning to ye olde Gauss Saw with my hard earned knowledge.

DFDelta

Dec 4, 2011
Zipzip the Penguin said:
And one of the first things they did was to close the international part of the official forum.
Quite a way to make a first impression.

Ishal said:
I got frustrated during my last playthrough. Nothing I did worked. I got like 3 kills, and killed 30+ times by certed up NC veterans. However, earlier I defended a TR outpost in a skyguard. I shot down two Valkyries and drove off an attack. That felt damn good. Guess it just depends.
Yeah, happens.
I've played a lot (3x 85+ BR characters and around 1600 hours total), I can usually keep a 5+ K/D if I'm not goofing around but even I run into days where I can't get a kill without getting shot dead two times in return.
Don't be shy with the squads. Many squads don't care if they end up with newbies (especially since mentor ribbons were introduced), you'll learn a lot and there is an extra XP reward if you do things with squadmates around. And subscribers give a passive XP boost to every other person in their squad, which even stacks.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
DFDelta said:
Thanks for posting, by the way. You've given me a lot of tips on how to survive in PS2, and some of my classmates want me back in on it. Being able to contribute makes the game a lot more fun.

I'm kind of wondering, is it possible to get a lightening tank up to a much better state, or is it just the MBR's that's useful? I like the speedy lightening, but I find it just doesn't do the damage, and the poor thing has paper armor. What do you recommend?

Captcha: Ride the subway... But there is no subway in my city. :<

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Zhukov said:
DFDelta said:

I'm guessing you mained NC, then?

Do you prefer them to the other factions?

DFDelta

Dec 4, 2011
BeerTent said:
I'm kind of wondering, is it possible to get a lightening tank up to a much better state, or is it just the MBR's that's useful? I like the speedy lightening, but I find it just doesn't do the damage, and the poor thing has paper armor. What do you recommend?
Lightnig packs.
Imagine the MBT to be a big badass tiger. It is huge, it chews things up and it is scary.
Lightnings are wolves. One isn't very dangerous, but 3 or 4 are a bigger nightmare then any tiger could ever be.

I've had some huge success with packs of 3 lightnins with racer, AV-cannons and stealth killing most of a 20 vehicle zerg pretty much by ourselves.
Come in wide and from an obscure angle. Gib one or two tanks with concentrated salvoes and then run for your lives.
Some will pursue you, seperate them using your stealth and baiting and pick them off one by one.
Once they're gone circle the zerg and hit them from another side.

Rinse and repeat.

During the times when we had whole zergs of PPA farmriders rolling around we used that tactic pretty often.