Anybody wanna talk dreams?

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
Been having some weird dreams lately, really vivid and unnerving ones. Anyway, these were the first memorable ones in a while and I've always kinda liked discussing these things, so...

Anyone wanna swap some dream stories?

Last night I had a sort of "It's A Wonderful Life" kind of experience in which someone, a family member, was guiding me through my potential future. I jumped forward to various moments of my life and was less than thrilled with what I was seeing. The unusual clarity of the dream did little to ease my discomfort.

Anyway, it all culminated in my being interned in a psychiatric ward of some kind. It was wet, and frantic, with lots of noise and movement. The doctors were handling me very roughly, taking me from place to place, and in a panic I attacked one of my handlers and made a dash for the exit. Once outside the building, in the rain and mud, I tried to run up the road when everything began to slow down, more and more. It took me some time to realize I was no longer sprinting but falling, and as I spun around I saw a guard with his gun drawn on me and realized I had been shot in the chest. Everything continued to slow down until time stood still, and a great weight settled on me as it all faded into nothingness.

I don't think I've ever died in a dream before, and while the feeling itself was ultimately peaceful it's not something I'd want to go through again.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I was talking to Barack Obama, and he asked me what I thought about a non-fiction comic he'd read recently. I hadn't read ti, though, and promised myself to check it out as soon as I could.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Dying in dreams is always a real dramatic affair for me. Lately elevators have been breaking and I've been plummeting whenever my brain wants me to die at night! :D

I'm finding out that things I spend a lot of time thinking about over the course of one week will come back to haunt or bless me in my night hours in the immediate following week sometimes. I had a dream about the show I have to take a leading role on yesterday for instance after dwelling on the logistics of it for a great many hours. Speaking of dreams, I seriously need to make this night happen otherwise I'm going to suffer tomorrow.

*trips on post button*

Whoops! [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/The-Escapist-Dreamer-Society] Accidentally dropped a link to the dream group here on the Escapist.

<..>

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I don't remember my dreams, the last one was several (maybe 4) years ago, then I was swimming, saw a shark, and started swimming so fast I dried and kept dry (basically flying supersonic speed through the water). After that I haven't remembered a single dream, even if I know I dream every night several dreams (everyone does "RapidEyeMovement" sleep). I guess I don't remember them because I don't need to and don't find it interesting enough to try.
When someone asks what I've been dreaming about I just tell them I was watching the inside of my eyelids all night. :D

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
The other night I dreamt I was petting a tiger. Like it was a big house cat. A big, cuddly, deadly, house cat. Much better than my dream where I got bit by a bear on my arm, and it wouldn't let go.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
I had a pretty awful cold a few weeks back and was taking a lot of sudafed (the decongestant stuff, with psuedoephedrine in it). I reacted... interestingly to it, especially when I took it just before going to bed. I had a lot of very colourful dreams about being at Mardi Gras, flashbacks from raves and the like. Just very bright, very vivid, colourful dreams, but nothing too freaky.

Oct 2, 2012
I keep a dream journal and a have a few interesting ones to share.
They're usually fairly disturbing though and I'm not too sure about posting them.

Instead I'll post one of the few good dreams I've had :D
I messaged this one to a friend on this site using my phone and just copy pasted it so please excuse grammar and spelling errors.
I was sitting quietly in a wooden chair on a wooden pier.
it was night and practically monsooning.
Dark clouds covered the night sky, but an extra bright full moon lie behind them, giving a section of the clouds an odd glow.
lightning flashed near and far and thunder rolled and exploded.
i was staring at a large lake, there was tall grass on the edges of the lake that moved violently with the strong winds.

I took a deep breath and felt content.

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
My brain seems to develop sequels to dreams I've had before.

Over the past year or so I've had 3 dreams which followed a similar pattern.

1) I was stabbed by someone and could do literally nothing to stop it in the dream.
2) My grandmother was stabbed by someone and I could do nothing but watch, then I got stabbed.
3) Two really strangely dressed guys follow me and my friend around until they literally start running at us both, my friend gets stabbed, I can't do shit, I get stabbed.

Those dreams always put me in a shitty mood but at least they're not as bad as the nightmares I used to have.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
I'm one of those people who get prophetic dreams. They're usually mundane and nothing really interesting. However a few weeks ago I had a dream that looked like it was a cartoon. It had two people dancing at a rave and one of them turned into two kids. Over the weekend I was at a friends house recording stuff for a Let's Play, afterward we ended up watching an episode of Steven Universe and the exact same scene happened near the end of the episode.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I've had really weird dreams lately. Two have really stuck out.

First was a dream where the Dexter, from Dexter's Laboratory, lived in my house. I was not present in the dream. The dream followed the point of Mandark who had teamed up Santa Claus to try and kill Dexter. All I can recall that actually happened was Mandark sneaking around my barn to try and find some weapon to kill Dexter, he then broke into the house, but I awoke before anything more happened.

The next had me as the main character and my non-existent aunt died. She committed suicide for some random reason and she gave me her house in the will. The first night in the house, I learn it is haunted by a demon and his minions. The demon was called Witchwood and possessed a dart board on the second floor. He engraved my chest with his name out of fire and tormented me with his minions. One of those creepy phones with eyes on wheels rolled up to me and started ringing. I answered it and heard my nieces and nephews being tortured. Witchwood said this would happen if I did not start acting sinfully. I think I ended up ODing on prescription pills, but after the phone part, I pretty much forced myself awake.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Last night, I had a school-related dream. Yesterday, I had to do a small lab assignment for my class on algorithms where I needed to analyse the algorithm for solving the famous Tower of Hanoi problem. I worked out a formula which gives you the exact number of moves you need to solve it, as well as the time it would take for a computer to solve the problem with a tower that's n discs big. That was WAY beyond the scope of the assignment, though; I pretty much did it all because I could. During my dream, however, I had to show my professor my analysis, and he said that, while it was good, I needed to write 3 whole pages on it, when my analysis during the real-life lab was barely a page, because it was mostly just chicken scratch and big writing.

I'm not a very creative dreamer, incidentally. Most of my dreams are school-related like that. However, there have been a couple dreams that I remember quite fondly. Well, I shouldn't say that I remember them, exactly; they fade from memory quickly. At this point, I just remember that they happened. Anyway, these dreams generally involve a lot of action, wherein I somehow have superhuman agility. I remember those being very, very fun, particularly the one where I pretty much turned into the main character in Saint's Row 4. I don't remember any specifics, of course; just a lot of running and jumping. I do remember, however, that leaping tall buildings in a single bound, so to speak, feels REALLY good.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
A few days ago I had my first waking nightmare. I was half-asleep, in fact I'm almost certain that I was awake with my eyes open, but paralytic from my body still being asleep. Anyways, I saw in the corner of my vision a figure masked by the darkness, then it disappeared from my view and I absolutely freaked out. I could hear myself trying to scream but with my body being asleep all that happened was me humming loudly in terror. After a few seconds I managed to throw myself awake and realised all I'd seen was the dressing gown hung from my door.

I had no idea that what I experienced was so specifically referred to as a waking nightmare. A combination of a paralytic state, semi-consciousness and a hallucination of a "malicious presence" all combine to what is a waking nightmare.

Other than that, a few weird dreams have stayed in my memory, like the one where I went to a Metallica gig with some friends and the band never showed up, so we all got on stage and performed in their place. Afterwards we went to our maths classroom to get changed (because that makes sense) and our Maths teacher was like "how was the gig?" so we were like "pretty good, we were Metallica".

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
My dreams are usually some weird start to like a fantasy game or book, like one I had recently was about some dude getting randomly transported into a dark chamber with blood spatters on the walls and gets impaled by someone from the darkness, goes into a mix of survival instinct and bloodlust knocks said person out and faints from blood lust, shock, trauma or some other shit. There's a fair amount of shenanigans which I don't really feel like typing out so there, have a dream excerpt.

Other times its just a culmination of varying images seemingly being played over one another making it hard to discern what i'm actually dreaming about then, one just juts out in front and it turns into motion doing whatever but those I have trouble remembering for some reason or another.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Ah goodie, I've had some good ones recently and have been waiting for someone to bring this subject up.

Ok, the first one was in 3 parts. Its starts with my friend being in a run down building with a single computer telling me that he was going to make a video game, not to be famous but just for the hell of it and is wondering if I would give him some money to get him started. Some other stuff happens and I go back to see my friend who is in the same building but is now very professional and modern looking. He tells me that the game is a huge success and because I gave him some money, I am now co owner of this company. Some other stuff happens and there is a big controversy about the game and because I am co owner of the company, I am under huge pressure to sort it out. But hey I have a personal helicopter and I fly to see someone and then I think I woke up.

What else? Oh yeah, this is testament to how pathetic my love life is. I had a sex dream and the whole damn thing was about buying condoms. By the time I'd bought the condoms I got back to the woman who had got fed up of waiting and decided to leave as I got back.

Last dream I can remember, myself, a guy I used to work with and a few friends went to a Robbie Williams (British pop star) concert, my ex workmate went absolutely mental when the song "I Hope I'm Old Before I Die" was played. Anyway. after the gig we exited the venue and was in an Africa like country. It was odd and I woke up before that resolved itself too.

Michael Tabbut said:
I'm one of those people who get prophetic dreams. They're usually mundane and nothing really interesting. However a few weeks ago I had a dream that looked like it was a cartoon. It had two people dancing at a rave and one of them turned into two kids. Over the weekend I was at a friends house recording stuff for a Let's Play, afterward we ended up watching an episode of Steven Universe and the exact same scene happened near the end of the episode.
Me too. I have had prophetic dreams before, but this one blew my mind with how right it was. I am friends with a woman, we had dated in college for a little while, but we split up and we remained friends. We have drifted apart quite a bit over the years and don't really talk anymore. But she got married a few years ago and had a kid a few years after that. Fast forward to 2013 and I have about a week of dreams about her being pregnant, every single dream I have are of her being pregnant. So this was bugging me, so I sent her a text asking her if she was pregnant again. I got a text back a little while later saying that she was and the kid was due later that year. The dreams about her stopped after that.

cleric of the order

Sep 13, 2010

What type of Jungian would i be if i didn't.
I've been meaning to keep a journal myself.
Now i think i understand what you mean by vivid dreams.
I
I've had a number.
One in which i was a planet based super villain in the vein of the monarch and i took over the world.
Another I watched the adventures of two rozen cranz and guldien stern type idiots travel between two dimensions fighting zombies before coming into contact with the zombie queen that killed the,
For some reason after that it went back to me at my grandparent house boarding up the house and talking to a fungus girl that asked me if i had a boyfriend before going to kill a robot pirate, zombie thing.
And perhaps the most vivid was one I in the Hayao miyazaki ghibli style. Starts with a women laying down on a bed in a cramped dark coloured room.
Everything was silent.
peaceful....
Then a peice of charcoal the size of a van burst through the ceiling where she had been laying moments ago.
thrown by some odd zombie dudes.
They burst into the room,she fights them off (rather quickly).
She then takes a breath, collects herself and tracks them down.
When she catches up to them, she finds Freud, in a mechsuit giving zombie pillz to people so he can control their minds.
And there it kinda getz fuzzy.
After that I work up.
at like 4am on the strongest natural high i had in a while.
I write a bunch of shit down on a nearby scrap of paper and when i got to class, I had a spirited conversation with my teacher and I decided to become a psychologist. my teacher said at the time, "[anon], I love your energy but All I'm hearig for you right now is "I'm a little tea pot."" get your crazy ass seated (or something.).
Another time karkat from homestuck gave me a game entitled Aphrodite hattÉ. which seems weird now that I've looked up the meaning of hatte. rouse aphrodite... well now what kind of game was he giving to me.

Michael Tabbut said:
I occasionally get things like those too.
If I'm waiting for something to show up, usually i get a dream that night that it would be handed to me or something like hat and it often puts emphasis on it.
Nutin too intersting.

SnakeTrousers

Dec 30, 2013
Last night I had a more lighthearted high-fantasy dream in which an evil warrior and his cowardly wizard friend drove myself and a few others out of our town. Just as I'd reached the outskirts though, I started feeling a little more brave and decided to go back. I spied on the duo from afar and it seemed they were searching for something in the woods around the town, so I waited until they'd split up and confronted the Wizard. I was unarmed but still able to chase him off and eventually catch him.

While trying to learn from him what it was they were after, his master showed up and shot at me with a bow. I scurried away quick as possible, searching frantically for something to defend myself with while arrows whizzed by my head. All I was able to find was a rusted old relic of a sword, but I figured it'd be enough. Just as I was going to leap from behind a tree and make my stand, a group of mercenaries ambushed us. I ran away while everyone was distracted, but one of the mercs noticed and gave chase.

We fought by a river and eventually I was able to get in a hit that severed his hand, but the response I got caught me off guard. Basically, he straight up asked me "Was that really necessary? I mean come on!" and we wound up bickering about it for a couple of minutes before the rest of his group began catching up. I fled once more, and I think that's about where it ended.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
I frequently dream that I am in a lift (elevator), which always invariably starts to plummet down the shaft, only to decelerate and stop at the last possible moment. It's never the same kind of lift or a particular one; they range from grotty little car-park lifts to swanky glass ones in posh hotels.

Any ideas?

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
About a month back I had a dream where a guy had completely shut down my college's campus from doing anything because he said there were too many people in the the auditoriums. Then some insurgents tried to blow up the dorms but me and my friend killed them all with an rpg we found. Then back at my house my brother tried to tell me that we were out of shampoo, but he was brushing his teeth so I couldn't understand him.

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
I had a dream last night (I've been having a run of nights with vivid dreams) where I was in some sort of school or hospital place, which was occupied by the guys like the cybermen from Doctor Who. They weren't particularly oppressive, or violent as everybody seemed to live normal enough lives, but they were trapped and occasionaly rebelling. I had a laser which could take one down in several hits but took a while to recharge and fired it at a robotic dog sort of thing and hat to run away. I was saved by a kind of professor/ doctor guy sitting behind a desk in an office who seemed to be able to call it off, and we had a chat about whether he thought I should just run away, or stay and keep trying to kill the cybermen guys. In the end I ran away for sweet freedom, and it was lovely. Still not a nice dream though.
I've been having mainly bad dreams recently for some reason.....