Anyone besides me a fan of economic-sim type games?

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I just realized that in over two months of posting on these boards I've never seen mention of tycoon-type or trade-sim games other than my Bargain Bin Specials posts in User Reviews.

I can't be the only one who's played Ascaron's Patrician/Port Royale games, or the Uncharted Waters series from Koei on the SNES, or Trevor Chan's Capitalism games...can I?

Dr Spaceman

Sep 22, 2008
I really liked those early tycoon games, you know, like Transport Tycoon and Roller Coaster Tycoon. I also like delving into the economic side of the Civilization games. I almost always focus on maxing my economy.

However, strangely enough, I seem to get a bit frightened by the more hardcore economic sim games. I say strangely enough because I love video games and also graduated college with a degree in Economics. Seems like a match made in heaven. With that said, can anyone recommend some good economic sims for an economic-sim-noob?

Rankao

Mar 10, 2008
I always wanted to create a Online web based Economics game, with different nations who have different laws and regulation and limited resources (there would be more to it) and let the people just go at it and see who would become the top dog.

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
I don't mind playing games with some level of economics in them. I'm no huge fan of hard-core economics games, but I don't hate them either. About the most economics based game series I have played and really liked was the original Sim City series for PC and SNES.

I also have a couple of Civilization games for my PC that have a degree of econoics about them (mainly trading with other lands and towns) that I don't mind.

Most of the time, though I am more interested in simulating building things and waging war. I like it when the game has the option for you to let the AI deal with the money so you can focus on the building part. I've had a couple of games that let me do that, but their names escape me at the moment.

EnzoHonda

Mar 5, 2008
Ahhh... Uncharted Waters. That brings back memories. Sailing from port-to-port, buying low, and selling high. It had terrible graphics, weak combat, and grating music, but I loved it all the same.

For the most part now, I don't like economic games, but I like the economic part of almost any other game. In RTS games or Civ, I like pumping up the economy, not for the money benefits, but because I think my little virtual people would appreciate having a strong economy. In WoW, one of my favourite things was the auction house. I loved buying and selling things for a profit. Tons of fun.

Ghostrunner

May 10, 2009
The 1701AD series (1601 and so on) is fairly good.. I liked Patrician 1 and 2 but after awhile got bored of them. I loved the Uncharted Waters 1 and 2.. just wish they had released the others in english.. I hear the online version is great.. but again its online in Japanese and a couple other Mandarin languages..

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
Railroad Tycoon 3 is still on my play list, Locomotion Chris Sawyers "sequel" to transport tycoon is good but missing something that transport tycoon had, it's "x-factor" if you will.

Industry Giant 2 is good, some scenarios end up rather difficult, but I still try to play it.

Other than that I just focus on my economy in RTS's and TBS's to the point where I can use Zapp Branigans tactics!

Lucia di Lammermore

Feb 8, 2009
I always liked roller coaster tycoon.

zoo tycoon was ok, but i wouldn't call that an economic sim. Mostly becuase I actually managed to get lost in my own zoo, due to my facination with building things.

kitsunegunner

Apr 14, 2009
i at one time rented the playboy game for the boobs but was taken in by the tycoon game play....yes im a nerd....no im not gay (not completely lol)

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
Rankao said:
I always wanted to create a Online web based Economics game, with different nations who have different laws and regulation and limited resources (there would be more to it) and let the people just go at it and see who would become the top dog.
There was one, but i forgot the name of it. It's like this GIANT map that gets bigger with each new player. You start with 1 city, and you keep building your econ/military/civil stuff until you get bigger and start diplomacy and trade and stuff with other players on the map. Basically, a Civ game but completely online.

Anyways, I've always loved Caesar. Caesar 4 was too buggy for me tho.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
SimuLord said:
or the Uncharted Waters series from Koei on the SNES,
I did a "Retro Review" of UW:NH a few weeks back, and a whole 20 something people actually looked at it.

I was sad.

I was in the midst of playing through UW:NH again-- painstakingly converting each and every settlement to Dutch (with 1000:1000 economies) when I found X3: Terran Conflict.

I havn't so much as turned on my Wii since. if you like trader-sim-sandbox games with a dash of fleet management and spaceflight simulation, this is the ultimate game. There is very little story and a whole lot of buy low - sell high

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
My ancient computer had Sim City on it, and I mean the OLD sim city. I thought it was rather fun but alas thats as close to those types of games I have gotten. The idea's behind that genre never grabbed me or entertained me much, even if i only dabbled in the a tiny bit.

Oopsie

Apr 11, 2009
Dr Spaceman said:
I really liked those early tycoon games, you know, like Transport Tycoon and Roller Coaster Tycoon. I also like delving into the economic side of the Civilization games. I almost always focus on maxing my economy.

However, strangely enough, I seem to get a bit frightened by the more hardcore economic sim games. I say strangely enough because I love video games and also graduated college with a degree in Economics. Seems like a match made in heaven. With that said, can anyone recommend some good economic sims for an economic-sim-noob?
Well, I love sims like these as well. Assuming you have a college degree in- and understanding economics though I ask why bother with any of the games? They never simulate a real economic market.

I'll race you in a stock race though, if you're willing ;).

RobotoWorks

Aug 17, 2008
Not to be "That douche", but hey, someone has to.

Why did you bump this thread, it obviously died before Halloween, so why revive it?

Gizmo

May 4, 2009
I use to like SIM tycoon theme park or something i don't remember was so long ago. But to the point i would put a bathroom up and put it in the very far corner and charge the MAX price for it man i made a fortune stupid people.