Anyone else collect the old (big) PC game boxes?

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
I've been collecting PC games for a while and recently, when I moved into my new place, I realized that the big box, I kept my game boxes in, had disappeared; boxes for games from the late 80s and early 90s like King's Quest, Robin Hood, Police Quest, Manhunter, Gold Rush, and Thexder (and a whole bunch more) and with them the manuals and discs. They held a lot of sentimental value and the computer I played them on was probably my first big purchase with my own money.

I was wondering if anyone else collects the old huge PC game boxes and, if you do, what's in your collection?

The only games I have left now are relatively newer ones from the mid to late 90s before the boxes got smaller...

[http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/708/gqz6.jpg/]

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
I used to, I still have my Half-life, Command and Conquer boxes and one more I can't remember right now; however I still keep all my manuals.
I have limited space :(

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
I still have a few of them lying around in pretty good condition. I think the ones I still have are:

Planescape: Torment
Dungeon Keeper
Warcraft 2
Starcraft
Interstate '76 Gold Edition

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I also have a huge box of game boxes in the basement, although it's been 5 years since I last dug through it so I don't remember what's all in it.

I know I have:
Duke Nukem 3D
Red Alert C&C
Black and White
The Sims
The Sims 2
Dungeon Keeper
and I think Fallout, Fallout 2, and Doom 3.

Those are just the ones I played, it's my dad's collection so there's a lot more.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
Boris Goodenough said:
I used to, I still have my Half-life, Command and Conquer boxes and one more I can't remember right now; however I still keep all my manuals.
I have limited space :(
If I had to choose between the boxes and manuals I think I'd choose the manuals since they are so much easier to store. That reminds me that Command and Conquer was in that box I lost as well :(

TehCookie said:
I also have a huge box of game boxes in the basement, although it's been 5 years since I last dug through it so I don't remember what's all in it.

I know I have:
Duke Nukem 3D
Red Alert C&C
Black and White
The Sims
The Sims 2
Dungeon Keeper

Those are just the ones I played, it's my dad's collection so there's a lot more.
Those are some great games. My uncle used to have a big box of old games I used to always rummage around in when I visited and I would have loved it if it were in my own basement rather than 1000 km away.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I used to have a ton but then I lost almost all of them in the great mom cleaning spree of 98.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
Worgen said:
I used to have a ton but then I lost almost all of them in the great mom cleaning spree of 98.
That's tragic. Those things took up a lot of space so I can see why your mother would get rid of them and also why the industry switched to smaller boxes.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
Well, I have 2 on display, mostly due to sentimental values. Gender Wars and Jagged Alliance 2.

And I used to have a bunch more, but I left them at my dads house when I moved out 10 years ago and I doubt that they're still around. It was games like Normality, Fast Attack, Little Big Adventure, NHL 99 and Destruction Derby. Had at least 5 more, but I can't remember the games right now.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
I still have the Rainbow Sixs, Vampire: The Masquerade, and the Baldur's Gates. Other than that, I stopped keeping them.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Alas, no. When the jewel case for the CD was much more sturdy than the cardboard box, I had no reason to keep the box. Years later, I am kicking myself for that shortsightedness.
The only game from the "cardboard box" era the box for which I still have is World of Warcraft, from that three-month period when I gave the game a try and discovered that I didn't like it. I think the box for the Diablo Battle Chest may still be around somewhere in my parents' house but I doubt it.

DeepReaver

Feb 25, 2009
I really should turn mine into an art piece... I have several Warcraft ones, home world 2... god i dont remember they are all in storage.

Lady Larunai

Nov 30, 2010
I have about 20 but they are at home and I am not, I know there's kings quest, alone in the dark and a few others

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Still have my old giant boxes for C&C 1,Red Alert and Tiberian Sun, plus a number of other games. Destruction Derby... number of others cant recall, they are actually pretty useful when I've moved as they can store a number of CD's inside, plus very nostalgic to have those on my shelves, miss those big boxes as awkward they might be, and the huge manuals that used to come with them

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I had a few, Age of Empires, Fallout, and C&C Tiberium Sun are the only ones I can remember that definitely came with the big boxes.

I'm pretty sure they were all thrown out, although they might be in the roofspace: lost in the myriad of other assorted junk up there. I should have a hunt for them some time, never know what I'll find!

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
Fenra said:
Still have my old giant boxes for C&C 1,Red Alert and Tiberian Sun, plus a number of other games. Destruction Derby... number of others cant recall, they are actually pretty useful when I've moved as they can store a number of CD's inside, plus very nostalgic to have those on my shelves, miss those big boxes as awkward they might be, and the huge manuals that used to come with them
I used to keep mine on a bookshelf and just about everyone who came by use to look at them.

I miss the manuals too. Some companies put a lot of effort into them. Games like WarCraft had thick manuals with artwork and backstory and lots of other tidbits and I remember the Civilization II manual being as thick as a novel which is a pretty stark contrast to nowadays when some games don't even have manuals and the ones that do are often cursory.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
TehCookie said:

I know I have:
Duke Nukem 3D
Red Alert C&C
Black and White
The Sims
The Sims 2
Dungeon Keeper

I loved Black and White! Still have the PC box somewhere around. First time I see that game brought up here! Reminds me of the days when Peter Molyneux wasn't the effete crazy everybody takes him for nowadays.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I have a couple (Diablo 2, and Morrowind) and while I do like them, they take up too much space and I'm absent minded and they tend to get crushed up pretty badly.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Yeah, I'm a collector. I Still have all my boxes from the early 90's. My oldest is either Myst, Descent or the first Warcraft. Still have all the books, manuals and posters as well as the special addition stuff, all of it makes it great to look through again.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I have a ton from the N64, GBA, and PC sitting around somewhere. I know I've got both of the oblong boxes that was FF7 and Thief 2. I also have boxes of Freespace 1 and 2 and the expansion of FS1. There's a lot there, so I can't really list them all off without doing a lot of digging.

They are a prized possession of mine now. Especially now that those games are "classics" as well as the package being a thing of the past.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
I have my Baldur's gate collectors edition with the map and manual etc. I think there is also in my brothers room big boxes for a mechwarrior game and one of the original civ games (I could be mistaken on this one).