Anyone Else Ever Had This Moment? (Game Soundtrack Related)

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
Fappy said:
This happens to me on a fairly regular basis. A recent example:

God Hand

An extremely fast paced, purely skill based brawling game. One of the best brawling games ever made. Perhaps even the best of all time. Is also brutally difficult and absolutely merciless especially on it's hardest difficulty. If there's ever a game out there that will shock you with the fact that you are too unskilled, and inadequate to handle it on it's hardest difficulty - It's this one.

How hard is it?

[HEADING=1]This game gave me tendinitis.[/HEADING]

Well to be honest, I spend hours a day on my job working with my hands, so my job definitely also helped cause it. But I actually remember the moment when my hand began unnatural amounts of pain, and it was when I was playing THIS GAME. Yes, this game was so hard it actually caused me real life health problems and a visit to the doctor.

So why am I talking about the difficulty and not the music? Well the music is indeed, fucking awesome, there is one song that sticks out - The theme song.

The song itself is rather simple, and not an aweinspiring tribute to the glory of emotional depth that music can convey within a videogame. But, the theme song embodies the essence of the game itself. The fast pace of the action, the horrible beatings every single thing in this game will suffer, the degrading defeats you will deal with, the zaniness, and the difficulty. And serves as a reminder, before you even START the damn game, that this game will kick your fucking ass.

As soon as I start this up on my PS3, and hear this song roaring my through my speakers, I know I better be ready.

Downloaded the entire soundtrack only shortly after beginning the game. And the boss themes are pure excellence.

Other examples:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I was already enjoying the music immensely as soon as I heard the Sarif HQ theme, and the Detroit police station theme. But the moment when I decided "I need this soundtrack RIGHT NOW." is when you begin the FEMA mission.

While lots of people tend to favor the more melodic videogame musics, I have a thing for more ambient tunes as well. As I think the more subtle music aids immenesly in providing atmosphere and immersion to the game's world. And Deus Ex was top-notch in this regard. The music, on top of the visuals, sucked me into its world like no other game does. This Ambient theme made the realization that I'm in REAL deep shit really sink in for this mission.

And the way the ambience/stress themes blend together as you approach closer and closer to guards on patrol is brilliant.

And then, Red Dead Redemption.

There's no denying the soundtrack to this game was excellent, possibly even PERFECT. I can point to any one song in the game and say "This is a great song." But one in particular made me stop playing, and download the soundtrack immediately.

The Irish rat just 'helped' me cross into Mexico, barring a sudden and extended shootout with Mexican banditos. Irish's promise of fun and games in Mexico didn't seem like it was going to happen now.

After that slice of bloody violence, we hopped off our raft and it was time for me to venture into Mexico. It was in the dead of night, clear skies, and there was not a single living person for miles around besides myself.

Then this song began playing as I rode through the desert night.

....Once it ended. I stopped, stood up, and downloaded the soundtrack. (I was promised the soundtrack anyway as part of my preorder, but didn't download it until I heard this song.)

It still gives me goosebumps when I hear it.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Three games (well, you could say 4) made me want that. In chronological order

1. Crimsonland - it's a topdown 2D shooter where you fight spiders, monsters, aliens etc with no plot. With really awesome light rock-ish tune. Flowed really nice in the game and outside, too. Also, the MP3s were right there, so I immediately put them in my playlist. That was version 1.3, the next one I played - 1.9.8 had a whole new sountrack and but it was similar to before and still awesome.

2. Next was Death Illustrated - it's a free shooter that me and friends dubbed "Crimsonland in 3D" because...well because it was an FPS where you fight spiders, monsters, aleiens, etc. with no plot. And the sountrack was in similar style to boot. And to top it off, the MP3s were still right there.

3. The final one that made me want it RIGHT NAO was Mirror's Edge soundtrack. Damn, it's awesome. I really dig it. And I played the game a couple of days ago.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The Wykydtron said:
I remember before I started playing it I watched my girlfriend play and I asked her, "Doesn't a song with lyrics in it get really repetitive when it plays EVERY SINGLE FIGHT?"

She said no.

I didn't get it.

Now I do.

:D

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Agreed. I stayed in the Mechonis Feild far longer than I really needed to.

Other past game had the same effect aswell like Okami, Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword, Golden Sun and etc.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
I'm a massive soundtrack fan so it's normally one of the first thing's I notice when playing a game for the first time. These are just a few of my favourites;

InFamous 2 (both the blue and red soundtracks)

Mass Effect, all of the soundtracks are amazing and track the progress of the series brilliantly

and Assassin's Creed, again all the soundtracks capture the games perfectly

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I think Halo wins hands down here, even if you don't like the games, the soundtrack has been hugely influential in how video games were made. It's probably the best part of the whole game.

Assassin's Creed is also pretty goddamn amazing, but I can't believe nobody has mentioned Halo yet.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Fappy said:
Congratulations Guppy! What are you going to do now?

[sub][sub][sub]FYI saying, "I'M GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!" is a cliched response.[/sub][/sub][/sub]
[sub][sub]I'm not Guppy but I wanted to make this reference[/sub][/sub]

I'm goin' to Escalator Land!

Assassin's Creed 2 hooked me with its soundtrack from the get-go. If I had to pick one track to be my favorite it would have to be Ezio's Family.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Esotera said:
The Halo franchise does have some great songs. The best part about the Halo 2 campaign was the music imo.

Sirron Kcuch

Jan 3, 2012
Esotera said:
I think Halo wins hands down here, even if you don't like the games, the soundtrack has been hugely influential in how video games were made. It's probably the best part of the whole game.

Assassin's Creed is also pretty goddamn amazing, but I can't believe nobody has mentioned Halo yet.
I second this, but I'd say the most evoking theme would be this one.
I bought Halo 3 because of it. It's just that good

And also, Metal Gear games have amazing OST's

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
Portal 2 wins for me. Downloaded the soundtrack after I finished the game. There's so many songs in it I just love!So mesmerizing. >_<

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
I've bought Bastian twice now simply because the humble indie bundle version came with the soundtrack which I absolutely had to own. Probably my single favourite soundtrack in gaming.

Other than that while playing through Metro 2033 I loved the games soundtrack, possibly the best part of the game in my mind.

Another one is World of Warcraft. I stopped playing the game quite some time ago now and don't intend to resubscribe, but I'll be damned if it still didn't have some of the best 'fantasy'ish music in the industry. Still enjoy listening to the various tracks from time to time.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Blazblue and Guilty Gear were the same for me. Those sound tracks are so damn awesome I could listen to them all day.

Though for a more unconventional answer, I am about to blow away your eardrums with the greatness that is the Ys series and Gravity Rush's sound tracks. Fucking amazing, could listen to them all day.

Falcom JDK are kick ass musicians, and I can't wait to hear Ys:Celceta's music.

My favorite theme in the entire series:

This is my favorite track of them all, love the instrumental version, so damn catchy.

Apr 8, 2010
From the top of my head?
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, Knights Of The Old Republic, Starcraft 2, Super Mario Galaxy, Sam & Max Season 1, The God of War series, Seiken Densetsu 3 , Final Fantasy Adventure aka. Mystic Quest Legend, Soulcalibur, Morrowind, Oblivion and LoZ: The Wind Waker and many many more....

Many games have very good soundtracks that made me stop at some point and got me thinking "man that's cool music right there." but real gems are few, or are only a few songs from the soundtrack. Still, here's two pieces that made me stop in awe...

For example you start up Chrono Cross the first time and you hear this song...
...and you know the soundtrack is a fucking instant classic.

Or fucking Nobuo Uematsu. I don't like Final Fantasy one bit, but back in the day when I tried out some of those you just can't do anything else but marvel at their soundtrack. Case in point FFVIII:

Oh and special mention goes out to Nier. If I instantly love a soundtrack without ever going to play the actual game that really says something about it's musical quality....

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Oh, yes. I instantly had a thing for the soundtrack from Zapper: One Wicked Cricket! It's much more high-quality than you'd expect from a tile-based arcade-style videogame.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voLJ4ePApNs
Snagged all the music as soon as I could! Even the Promo theme.

Orphillius

Jul 24, 2012
I used to listen to the Fallout 3 soundtrack a lot. I don't like the songs in New Vegas nearly as much
I also have a friend who listened to the oblivion soundtrack. He woke up to the "YOU LEVELED UP!" piece that plays after you've slept in the game. He basically leveled up in real life

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<youtube=WShknpNpHbY>

Whoa.

<youtube=bT17i0mdFAI>

Whooooaa.

<youtube=yXu6ZYy2WLg>

Whoooooaaaaa.

It happens to me all the time.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
DoPo said:
Three games (well, you could say 4) made me want that. In chronological order

1. Crimsonland - it's a topdown 2D shooter where you fight spiders, monsters, aliens etc with no plot. With really awesome light rock-ish tune. Flowed really nice in the game and outside, too. Also, the MP3s were right there, so I immediately put them in my playlist. That was version 1.3, the next one I played - 1.9.8 had a whole new sountrack and but it was similar to before and still awesome.

Ho ho ho! Good old crimsonland. I feel like I'll be the only one who knows what you are talking about. Man, that game rocked. Although, some of the weapons were freaking rubbish, when you picked up that seeker launcher you knew you were going to be fucked up.

OT: Morrowind, Witcher, Bastion, Metal gear solid, Halo... so many games like that

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
hitman blood money wowed me with its soundtrack it was just do different at the time.

witcher 1 and 2 had great soundtracks.

portal end theme.

gta vice city had a great soundtrack for the time.