Anyone else find this law stupid (Not about marijuana) ?

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
icame said:
Edit: Everyone seems to be talking about my story in question. Can we please discuss the law itself?
Right, sorry about that.

The law isn't "Parents shall be able to take their children's money if they forget to do chores;" it's "Parents own all the children's assets until they turn 18" or something like that, right?

I personally don't see a problem with it. It's reasonable for parents to be able to control the child's actions (to a certain extent) until he is mature enough to handle himself, so it makes sense that a parent ought to have control of a child's spending habits so he doesn't go buy drugs or w/e.

What you could do is open a bank account with a different relative to sign for you(who you trust to keep your secret), so your parents would never know about your money. This is assuming you're under 18, of course; if you're 18 or older, you can just open the account yourself.

Btw, ignore all the people who are calling you a whiny brat for complaining about this. It's understandable to be upset when someone takes your earnings, especially when they do it in such a...undiplomatic way. But your parents are humans too, and they're probably just frustrated at you forgetting your chores all the time. Take this as an opportunity to find a way to remember things :p

Jace1709

Apr 9, 2010
Can I just say, all the people who are pointing out the cost of raising a child to 18, whether thats $10, $200,000 - $400,000, or even $5m, as justification for everything in this thread, you're all idiots. The 'Soul' of thier future child didn't appear before its parents and order them to have sex and be have to spend thousands of pounds raising them to adulthood, those parents (and this is just general parents, no on in particular) made the choice to have a child and raise it, for you to say that they are allowed to expect some kind of 'compensation' is completely ridiculous. I help my parents whenever i can, simply due to the fact that they're good parents and i love them, but if they were to demand my help due to the money they lost raising me, our good relationship would disappear VERY quickly.

robotichunter

Dec 7, 2010
Have you ever though about making a list or something OP? You could just write all your chores down on a piece of paper and put it in your pocket. If you're as forgetful as you say maybe you should spend less time worrying about money and more time worrying about your memory.

Womplord

Feb 14, 2010
Well I don't think it is very fair of them to take $20 for every chore, it seems excessive...
Also, I don't think parents should expect their kids to give them money, they had kids and they should see that you have to support them.

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
Firstly, the don't HAVE to give you an allowance, so already you're getting a luxury ( I know it sucks but it's true)

And secondly they have the right to take everything you own away (except for items that are specified for children's rights such as food, water, clothing etc.) Because they are your superiors, and legally own you. Although they own you, other laws prevent them from say... Putting you to work, slave labour or selling you altogether. It's a right that parents have that many people overlook. Most parents don't even realize that they legally own the rights to their child. But at 16, these rights are changed, and at 18 dissipated altogether. (It's different ages in different countries mind).

So your parents do have the right to do what they want with you... within the confines of the law.

Ilikemilkshake

Jun 7, 2010
Thats pretty crap, as far as im concerned, if you've earned your money by working, it should be yours.

If you're over 16, then they could probably charge you rent seeing as you've got a job..

but just taking your money if you dont do stuff is basically slave labour but worse (in the sense that you dont get paid and you actually have to give THEM money, not that you dont have any personal freedoms)

You could move out? or you could just not give them the money?

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Part of being a minor, your guardians can do a lot of things that you might not like. Limits, obviously, but just deal with it for now and do your chores, I guess. Other option is to argue with your parents for a different arrangement, if you think that work

Duskflamer

Nov 8, 2009
Robert Ewing said:
Firstly, the don't HAVE to give you an allowance, so already you're getting a luxury ( I know it sucks but it's true)
If you'd bother to read the OP's posts, he isn't getting any allowance from them, all the money he has is from a job that he has, and the parents see fit to take that money away just because he's a bit forgetful.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
I want to start by pointing out that it's not true that minors have no rights. They do indeed have fewer rights than legal adults (also fewer legal responsibilities, don't forget about that) but saying they have no rights is just wrong when you consider that not too long ago children were legally considered not people, but property (no, this is not an exaggeration. Look it up). It was not that long ago even that some people (and even more so minors) didn't even have the right to live (and that doesn't mean house and board. It means being alive or not). While we do take these rights for granted now, to the point where we don't even think about them (hey, you don't constantly think about how great all that air you're breathing is), we should probably be a bit more aware of these things, especially considering how easy it actually is to take them away.

But now more on-topic: I think what the poster was talking about was strictly the law allowing parents in general to have complete control over their children's assets and not the specific situation he's in, and I must say that I mostly agree with that law and here's why: Minors have fewer rights and responsibilities because they are considered to lack the reason, judgement and mental faculties required to understand and to respect these rights and their implicit obligations. And this is quite true. You wouldn't trust a 2-year-old child with an important decision, would you? You wouldn't trust him to be able to provide for himself, right? Other people have to do that, and to be able to do that, the child's legal rights are restricted. Think what would happen if a mother wouldn't have the legal right to stop her child from wandering into a busy street (if the child has full rights like an adult, stopping him from going into the street if he really wanted to would be considered a breach on his right to freedom, and as such punishable), but not stopping a 2-year-old from doing that could end up with him being hurt, since he doesn't understand the danger he's putting himself in, doesn't grasp the fact that being hit by a car is bad, and mostly lacks the mental capacity to focus on both the act of walking and the oncoming traffic if he does understand the danger.

Things do tend to go a bit grey as the minor advances in age, because if you can argue that a toddler can't recognise the danger of traffic, a 13-year-old would have no such problems and then the required 18 years to be officially an adult might seem weird and random, but that's not so. Everyone knows the brain goes through significant changes during childhood and adolescence, restructuring itself, growing, making new connections, and so on. It seems that around 20 is when the very significant and powerful changes stop and the brain mostly settles in (sure, stuff still goes on, at least for some people, but not as dramatic). This age varies between individuals, naturally, but since you don't really have to pass an exam to determine if you are an adult (there's an idea) most countries have selected ages close to that one to be considered the default "maturity" age.

Also to clarify a bit, while a teenager does posses all the mental faculties of an adult, during the drastic hormonal changes brain function moves away from the frontal lobes (associated with higher reasoning, logic, social skills, etc) to the more primitive impulse and emotion based regions, making them less capable of proper decision making and turning them into ...well... teens.

All of the above is ofc very generic and since people are not the same, special individual cases do arise. I'm sure there are children out there with more reason and intelligence and capability than most adults, and I do know for sure there are adults out there that should be stripped of that title. And when such individual cases lead to abuse and infringement on the very basic rights of minors, there are legal ways to deal with that - Mainly emancipation ,social services and so on, that tend to judge each case in particular.

So no, in conclusion I don't really find the law itself stupid, or silly or anything like that, since parents, as adults, should be able to better decide what to do with the money than the child that is earning it can(in the interest of the child). But this only holds true because there are other laws that ensure the first one is not an absolute law, and in individual cases it can be altered in the best interest of the minor.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
robotichunter said:
Have you ever though about making a list or something OP? You could just write all your chores down on a piece of paper and put it in your pocket. If you're as forgetful as you say maybe you should spend less time worrying about money and more time worrying about your memory.
Thats probably a good idea. I'll try that, Thank you.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
icame said:
Semitendon said:
Annnd my confidence in the idea that most of the members of the escapist aren't whiny children drops a little bit more.

See, my folks charged me rent. Every month. I didn't enjoy it, but the truth is that it was the only way to get through to me.

The OP is complaining about having a small sum of money taken away IF HE FORGETS HIS CHORES.

The simple answer is, don't forget your chores! Bam, problem solved.

As to the OP's whining about the law which allows his parents to take his money, Really? I mean seriously?

Do people realize that parents are held legally responsible for the well-being, actions of, and general care of their children. Failure in virtually any area of child raising, however briefly, can result in serious penalties imposed on the parents.

In summation, I would support the OP's parents beating the stupid out of him, as well as taking all of his money, because anyone who's arrogant enough to think that parents who find a non-violent and inspired way to motivate their children to become better people, somehow, are doing it wrong.

Oh, and FYI, I am not a parent. I am an adult who has developed the small amount of wisdom required to see that parents who discipline, are usually parents who care.
Advocating the beating of someone. Interesting. I would honestly rather get hit then have money taken away. Wounds heal. Money doesn't come back.
This is not in favour of beating someone exactly. It's in favour of doing whatever the hell you need to do to make sure your children can have a decent life and grow up to be decent people. If a smack upside the head is what it takes for a kid not to grow up into an arrogant, useless zit on the face of the earth making life generally shit for as many people around them as they possibly can, then go for the gusto! And if that doesn't work, take away their money.

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
TheIronRuler said:
there's nothing I can do about it.
Drummie666 said:
You're a minor. You have no rights.

Sorry, but that's how it is.
I only grabbed 2 of these quotes but is this really how stuff is, people? If something like this is happening you just suck it up and let people do whatever?

I mean we can all throw around the 'they brought you into this world so never complain again and be their slaves' excuse, but if you don't receive an allowance I can't really see how that can fly.

I mean the obvious answer is: do your chores. But at the same time the fact that it's totally acceptable for them to do this is akin to child abuse. In fact it technically is child abuse, just instead of positive punishment it's negative punishment (bit of psychology there).

---

Just want to add: I'm not referring to this story in question, or any story in particular, as I don't know the specifics, instead I'm referring to the point in question.

---

icame said:
robotichunter said:
Thats probably a good idea. I'll try that, Thank you.
Good advice, if you have trouble remembering things then you need to act on them in some way as soon as you are aware. Make a note, put it somewhere you're going to notice; your pocket, your computer monitor, the bathroom mirror, etc.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
bushwhacker2k said:
TheIronRuler said:
there's nothing I can do about it.
Drummie666 said:
You're a minor. You have no rights.

Sorry, but that's how it is.
I only grabbed 2 of these quotes but is this really how stuff is, people? If something like this is happening you just suck it up and let people do whatever?

I mean we can all throw around the 'they brought you into this world so never complain again and be their slaves' excuse, but if you don't receive an allowance I can't really see how that can fly.

I mean the obvious answer is: do your chores. But at the same time the fact that it's totally acceptable for them to do this is akin to child abuse. In fact it technically is child abuse, just instead of positive punishment it's negative punishment (bit of psychology there)
Mate, I never said that one should just roll over and let it happen, I'm just saying that legally, there's bugger all you can do because minors have almost no rights under the law.

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
Not sure how I feel about this. It's not their right to take away what you work for and $20 is a bit excessive , but as long as your parents' requests (it's pretty much your responsibility to do some work to maintain the space that you live in, otherwise for free) are within reason, I see no problem.

As far as the law itself goes, it seems perfectly fine, though should have some reasonable limitations.

warprincenataku

Jan 28, 2010
icame said:
My parents threatened to take away $20 from me every time I forget to do a chore . After they threatened this, I wanted to see if they have the ability to do such a thing, so I did a bit of research (Thank you Google) and found out it is perfectly legal for them to do this. Please tell me I am not the only one who find this moronic?

I don't get an allowance and I don't get any money from my parents ever, not even during my birthday or Christmas. All the money I have is earned by working at a grocery store in my town. In my opinion, they should have no right to do anything with my hard earned money, but I wouldn't have a huge problem with a law that allowed them to put it into an account that you could access at 18 (But they had no ability to withdraw from)

Edit: Everyone seems to be talking about my story in question. Can we please discuss the law itself?
They're house, they're rules. Don't like it? Move out. Your guardians have absolute power in most things dealing with your life.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
It's unfair that the people who are letting you live in their house for free and have raised you from your childhood to present day have a say in the money you own?