Anyone else had this happen?

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
So I was home from college this weekend and was in my Mom's new GMC Yukon riding to our storage unit. I was holding the key to the padlock for the unit and stuck them in the glovebox key hole to see if it would randomly work. Turns out the key was able to lock/unlock the glovebox. What the hell!?

How is this OK? I wish I knew someone else with a GMC to see if it would work in their car. I am pretty sure that I cannot feel safe locking something in a glovebox again if I know that a padlock key like the one I have is able to open it.

Anyone know of something like this happening with them?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Why would you lock a glovebox, when you can just lock the car?

WHAT SECRETS DO YOU KEEP IN THE GLOVEBOX?! HMMMMMMM?!

What are you hiding?!

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

What are you hiding?!
Well I mean you can break a window to get in a car. The glovebox is just that added layer of security when Im carrying like 20,000 dollars or whatever.

danintexas

Jul 30, 2010
There are only so many key combos possible.

I once had a 97 Ford Ranger that had the same key as a guy I worked with who also had a 97 Ford Ranger. My key could not open his doors but it would start his truck. Likewise he couldn't open my doors but could start my truck.

Nothing really to worry about.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Poomanchu745 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

What are you hiding?!
Well I mean you can break a window to get in a car. The glovebox is just that added layer of security when Im carrying like 20,000 dollars or whatever.
How often are you carrying this and where do you live?

That's ermm... that's bad. Does it work for the car as a whole?

All old (really old) Ford keys used to work on eachother. We had some funny times getting into eachothers' cars.

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
TheRightToArmBears said:
Poomanchu745 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

What are you hiding?!
How often are you carrying this and where do you live?

That's ermm... that's bad. Does it work for the car as a whole?

All old (really old) Ford keys used to work on eachother. We had some funny times getting into eachothers' cars.
I didn't try to use it on the ignition or doors but I should... But no I never actually carry 20,000 dollars. But its nice for locking up an mp3 player or something.

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
I once had something similar happen, I was demonstrating to a friend how it was impossible to pick a lock with a single paperclip, so I stuck the paperclip in the lock and it popped open! Before anyone calls me out on this it was a really wierd type of old fashioned lock, not one of the Yale ones we have now (the ones that you can't open with a single paperclip... easily).

I never did manage to do that again, though it was awsome.

EDIT:
Poomanchu745 said:
I didn't try to use it on the ignition or doors but I should... But no I never actually carry 20,000 dollars. But its nice for locking up an mp3 player or something
Don't worry about the glove box locking, as long as your MP3 player is in it and not in plain sight, the theives will walk past and look for a car where they will definatly get a phone or mp3 player or something for breaking a window.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Scabadus said:
I was demonstrating to a friend how it was impossible to pick a lock with a single paperclip, so I stuck the paperclip in the lock and it popped open!.
I once had a lock from a cracker that was ultimate rubbish because it could be opened with anything. It was only supposed to be a toy, but it was pretty amusing to see what I could open it with.

Internal locks for things tend to be suckage. Only good point about them, is if the lock gets forced or whatnot, the insurance can still pay up. It's usually for the best to take valuables out of the car if you possibly can, or not take them with you.
If the stuff is on your person, you know the instant it's gone missing usually.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Poomanchu745 said:
Actually, in a lot of cars, it's even easier than that ¬¬. Which can be somewhat worrying lol.