Anyone else looking forward to the Eurovision Song Content tonight? Ah, political voting...

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
I (masochistically) love the Eurovision Song Contest, precisely because it represents everything I hate in popular music. I traditionally pick the one half-decent song and then rage at the tripe that wins. Ah, good times.

But the other great thing about the ESC is the political voting. With both Ukraine and Russia in the running, tonight should be a blast.

What do you think? Any predictions for winners and/or strife?

(Note: I'm not trying to trivialise the events going on in the Ukraine at the moment, but it should be fascinating to see how they affect the contest).

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Eh, I'm just happy that Jessica Mauboy is representing Australia, even if she's not competing.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Yeah, I am. My family always hold a minor event for Eurovision and it's fun to watch the gimmick, silly acts, and the occasional actual good song. I'm also interested to see if any of the Russia-Ukraine conflict spills in this year, I predict that the Russians will be booed at some point, they will get some votes from Ukraine due to Russian speakers living there but very few Russian votes will go to Ukraine. I predict Russia will take a hit votes-wise overall due to their recent actions, like when the UK got nil points in 2003 partly because of certain invasion of Iraq taking place at the time...

As for the UK's prospects this time, I like our song and that we've got a young aspiring artist rather than has-beens like the last two entries, I think we've got a good chance of scoring high this year if we're lucky. Out of the other countries I like Iceland's entry, hopefully they'll get far too.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
thaluikhain said:
Eh, I'm just happy that Jessica Mauboy is representing Australia, even if she's not competing.
Does australia compete in EUROvision. I dont know if you meant austria or if eurovision is actually a load of different countries

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
shootthebandit said:
thaluikhain said:
Does australia compete in EUROvision. I dont know if you meant austria or if eurovision is actually a load of different countries
Australia doesn't compete, but Eurovision is popular there (more than anywhere else outside nations competing, I think), so some Australians turn up, and for the first time one will be singing. Australia won't compete unless it annexes part of Europe, I guess.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
shootthebandit said:
thaluikhain said:
Jessica Mauboy is indeed Australian, and she's performing in the interval act, I believe :)

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
thaluikhain said:
shootthebandit said:
thaluikhain said:
Australia doesn't compete, but Eurovision is popular there (more than anywhere else outside nations competing, I think), so some Australians turn up, and for the first time one will be singing. Australia won't compete unless it annexes part of Europe, I guess.
News Flash: Australia Invades Europe!

Or maybe Australia should be allowed to complete every time they beat the English at cricket :)

raeior

Oct 18, 2013
The political aspect of it is quite fun. We were able to explain most of Europe's political relations basend on the contest to a chinese PHD that was working in our lab. I guess he was a bit irritated how we were able to predict most of the votes beforehand :D
Besides that I only watch it on rare occasions. Sometimes we watched it with several people and it was fun but most of the time it is just too boring. I liked it when Finland sent Lordi there because they were the only contestant to have a proper live performance. Well Lordi and the moldavian? eurodance group with the epic saxophone guy. Most of the other acts are just...country singer sitting on a stool not moving the entire time..pop singer standing there not moving... etc. Also Germany will probably get their ass handed to them this year. I couldn't already understand why we had to send Lena two times in a row but the current group...they are just meh. Also I guess no votes for us from Greece..and many other countries. Yay politics!

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Being British, I used to love watching it for Terry Wogan's utterly irreverent commentary - he'd talk over the acts, take the piss out of the presenters and the random people who announce each country's votes, and obviously be quite drunk by the end of the night. Sadly he gave it up a few years ago though :(

I do like it when a subversive or joke act manages to do well, though I have no idea if there'll be anything like that this year. The truly awful acts can be good for a giggle as well.

As you can probably tell, I think the whole thing's ridiculous and I have no stake in it because, realistically, there's just no way the UK will do well, regardless of the quality of our song (which I haven't actually heard yet).

I'll probably start watching it at least. Whether I see it through to the end will depend on how amusing I find it/how much of a delicious car crash it is...

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
Eamar said:
Being British, I used to love watching it for Terry Wogan's utterly irreverent commentary - he'd talk over the acts, take the piss out of the presenters and the random people who announce each country's votes, and obviously be quite drunk by the end of the night. Sadly he gave it up a few years ago though :(
Is it scott mills now? Im sure they mentioned it on the radio the other day? Not a massive fan of scott mills hes a bit meh but at least its not that irritating nick grimshaw (aka grim rickshaw)

I do like it when a subversive or joke act manages to do well, though I have no idea if there'll be anything like that this year. The truly awful acts can be good for a giggle as well.
I love the early auditions for BGT and X-factor for this reason. I think in britain we like the terrible people better than those that are actually good. I think We want terrible or jokes acts to win things because it just messes with the system

I remember the year when finnish metal band 'lordi' won

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
I have to me at least mildly drunk (and in the company of other mild drunks) to enjoy it, but when I am it spontaneously transitions from tiresome and annoying to the most hilarious shit ever.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
shootthebandit said:
Is it scott mills now? Im sure they mentioned it on the radio the other day? Not a massive fan of scott mills hes a bit meh but at least its not that irritating nick grimshaw (aka grim rickshaw)
It's Graham Norton, who I actually really like, but he doesn't have Terry Wogan's level of cynicism :/

I love the early auditions for BGT and X-factor for this reason. I think in britain we like the terrible people better than those that are actually good. I think We want terrible or jokes acts to win things because it just messes with the system
I think it's also a defence mechanism so we don't despair about how awfully we tend to do. You can bet we'd take it more seriously if we stood a chance of winning.

I remember the year when finnish metal band 'lordi' won
I think that was probably my favourite year ever XD

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I'll probably watch it, I've missed it the last couple of years as I barely ever watch TV. But it will be good to laugh at how terrible nearly all the entries are...or if someone like Lordi are discovered again.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Aww, I'm at a party tonight. I'll have to convince everyone to watch it :)

I loved the old version with every single act on a single night. Now they take all the crap ones out before the actual show, which kind of ruins the point of having an embarrassing international pop contest.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Well, I'll be out at the pub tonight, so I doubt I'll catch it. I've never sat and watched the whole thing and it's been years since I even tuned in just to see the voting. It will be interesting to see how the UK does this year. I've actually not even heard our song as of yet - should probably at least look it up.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
For the laughs, some possibly decent music and possibly hilarious performances. I've never had the fanatic interest, other than "Group X could have been there, what the fuck were they thinking" such as E-type, Scooter and Nightwish in earlier years.

Ninjamedic

Dec 8, 2009
Well so far:

"Wow, the eurovision entries this year are really fucking boring again."

Not suprising, the acts been really trying to be serious recently, so they aren't even funny anymore. Though I did find Iceland's.....thing, to be worth a laugh.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Ninjamedic said:
Well so far:

"Wow, the eurovision entries this year are really fucking boring again."

Not suprising, the acts been really trying to be serious recently, so they aren't even funny anymore. Though I did find Iceland's.....thing, to be worth a laugh.
I really liked the Iceland thing. It's great fun! Sure, it's ridiculous, but like the old Adam West Batman show, it's meant to be, and people make a mistake if they assume anything else.