Anyone else nocturnal?

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
Anyone else nocturnal on the escapist besides me? how long have you been nocturnal, and why?

i've always been nocturnal, it's just natural for me. made high-school and college really hard.

what is the opposite of esueal, actually what the hell is an "esueal"?

edit: it ate my poll. why?!

Ectoplasmicz

Nov 23, 2011
Yeah, the polls sometimes dissapear, but it may reappear again.

OT: I've been nocturnal for about 2 years. It just got to a point where i stayed up so long that suddenly it was morning and i would want to sleep, and slept through the day. This kept on going unitl i just found myself sleeping a few hours a day (or even simply napping) and then being up through the night. I quite enjoy it, i really like going out in the early hours of the morning, you just do not get that sort of peace and quiet during the day.

LittleJP

Mar 1, 2011
The internet awaits those who wait.

Unless of course, your local area has a decent nightlife, and you have the money and the means to go out.

I usually end up working a fair bit at night, it's far quieter, and the only gripe is that I have limited access to food at night.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I'm a night person. I'd love to work third shift (unfortunately, I'm stuck on first). I enjoy the peacefulness that night brings.

chaosyoshimage

Apr 1, 2011
Seeing as it's 4 in the morning over here, yep, although I'm going to eat "breakfast" and try to go to sleep right now since I can't sleep all day tomorrow. I have trouble sleeping at night, like insomnia and constant racing thoughts, but it's a lot easier in the daytime. Luckily (Not really luckily, but irony I guess), I don't have anything going in my life right now, so I'm fine. Back in High School it was horrible though, I would be so tired all day...

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
oh man you have no idea. I live the timezone of the opposite side of the world (which is apparently in Norway), meanwhile everyone else is awake as I sleep. And im awake as they sleep. Kidna sucks when you barely see the sun. Quite depressing.

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
chaosyoshimage said:
Seeing as it's 4 in the morning over here, yep, although I'm going to eat "breakfast" and try to go to sleep right now since I can't sleep all day tomorrow. I have trouble sleeping at night, like insomnia and constant racing thoughts, but it's a lot easier in the daytime. Luckily (Not really luckily, but irony I guess), I don't have anything going in my life right now, so I'm fine. Back in High School it was horrible though, I would be so tired all day...
Yea at some point you should just try to do a half all nighter, so you fall asleep at about 1 - 3 pm, and then you'll wake up at about 3 - 4 the next morning, and you can last the whole day.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
saucecode said:
chaosyoshimage said:
Yea at some point you should just try to do a half all nighter, so you fall asleep at about 1 - 3 pm, and then you'll wake up at about 3 - 4 the next morning, and you can last the whole day.
back about 5 years ago, i made a cup of black tea so strong, as i did multiple boiling downs of several gallons of water over the course of 6 hours and got it down to one cup. that one cup had enough caffeine to keep me up for three days against my will. luckily I have a strong resistance to caffeine, so I luckily didn't overdose on it.

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
CulixCupric said:
saucecode said:
chaosyoshimage said:
back about 5 years ago, i made a cup of black tea so strong, as i did multiple boiling downs of several gallons of water over the course of 6 hours and got it down to one cup. that one cup had enough caffeine to keep me up for three days against my will. luckily I have a strong resistance to caffeine, so I luckily didn't overdose on it.
OMG. Please teach me your ways!
That sounds badass and very useful.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
saucecode said:
OMG. Please teach me your ways!
That sounds badass and very useful.
simple take a half cup of tea leaves, either green tea or black tea, and add it to a cooking pot of boiling water, and every time the water goes below the half way mark, add more. keep boiling it down to extract the caffeine and after several gallons of water, and a few hours you stop adding water and boil it down to just a cup, add some honey to sweeten it, because it will be very strong, and there you go. super caffeine tea.

Chromanin

Apr 6, 2010
Used to be. I used to work graveyard shifts and play video games until 4 in the morning. I don't know what happened, but nowadays I hardly make it to 11PM.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I have got some sort of sleeping problem where half way through a month I can go to bed at a reasonable time and I won't wake up until 2-3pm thats like over 12 hours of sleep. It basically turns me nocturnal and then I go back to normal. I'm also massively lethargic if I try to stay awake during the day so I just go with it.

I thought it was hyperthyrodism but I've been tested for that and I'm normal. The doctors are still doing tests on me.

Apparently I used to sit in the dark playing with my toys when I was a baby so I've probably always preferred night-time or something.

*shrug*

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
I'm nocturnal...

I've been like it as long as I can remember, at night I get a huge burst of energy (Which sucks if I actually wanted to go to sleep at that time to get up the next morning)

But since my body clock wakes me up really early it kinda helps me get ready in the still pitch black time in mornings.

I'm not entirely sure why I'm nocturnal though... I was always told as a kid that it was because I got excited with doing things at night (Which I didn't) it could just be that I didn't like curfews...

CleverNickname

Sep 19, 2010
I've been nocturnal for almost 10 years now - and it's actually gotten worse. I used to go to bed at 2, then occasionally at 4, then all the time at 4, then sometimes 5... now I'm never in bed before 6, and every attempt to dial it back a bit ends in disaster.

Not that I don't like staying up over night, but sleeping from 6 to 3ish makes me anxious. And I feel sick all day if I ever have to get up at noon.

But I love nights. Nobody bothers you, you can more or less do what you want (except being loud), it's the only time I hate neither myself nor the rest of the world.

One HUGE downside to being a Western European nightowl though... The Euros are asleep and the Americans aren't back from school/work yet. By the time the fun starts, I'm falling asleep. (There is some overlap, but I feel I don't get much out of it...)

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I was, on and off for a fair few months last year, but over the past month or so I've begun to settle back into a roughly human sleep pattern, so that I don't end up shattered during morning lectures. Of course, now that we're in the Christmas period I'm probably going to devolve back into semi-nocturnal-ism and have to overlap before going back to Uni. But yeah, I generally prefer the evenings, I find them tranquil and reflective, perhaps I should look into getting a graveyard shift job when summer comes around...

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Several times during university I would end up going to bed when I heard my housemates alarms go off for them to get up in the morning (those were the days I didn't have class.)
But yes, I just spent the night dicking around on the internet.

It's so weird knowing that there are other people that this happens to, we should make like a secret hand signal to identify ourselves from the regular sleepers.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Being the little sheltered suburban teen I am, I'm always told to go to bed before midnight. But even then I usually don't want to stay up, I want all the sleep I can get before my body -always- wakes me up around 8:30, and no one's online except for... Australians.