Anyone Else Think Anonymous is Pathetic?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
haddaway234 said:
For example, put yourself in Sony's shoes, do you want your video game console hacked so that people can steal games on it?
Of course, you're already starting from a slanted argument, since you're rephrasing things on Sony's terms and not on what actually happened.

Yes, yes, jailbreaking is undoubtedly stealing, like everything else is stealing these days. And if an action can potentially lead to piracy, then it is stealing as well.

After all, owning a gun is murder and owning a DVR is theft, MI RITE? And to think...All those filthy owners of DVD and CD burners....

No, but seriously. If I were in Sony's shoes, I would probably sue anyone to the ends of the Earth for absolutely any reason. So....

Goatmeat

Jun 17, 2011
I'd tell you my thoughts on Anonymous if I could post anonymously on this board.

Nah, I think that it's a really weird thing. I can sort of see the point of it, but because it's essentially just a name and by definition anyone can identify with them, it renders the whole thing meaningless.

On one hand, they pestered the Church of Scientology, which should never go unrewarded, but on the other hand, most of the stuff that happens is them either attacking a company for reasons that range from "Well, their heart's in the right place" to "Are you all mentally ill?" But I am having difficulty finding anything funny or worthwhile in sending death threats to a girl because she made a YouTube video that annoyed some people.

And that's the problem with an anonymous group that prides itself on being anonymous and being an entity and whatnot. You get people who use it to try and achieve something that they see as good, and then you get other people who abuse it and act like a fucking dick.

It's like the difference between anarchists who have read up on the subject and are active in spreading awareness of the political belief, and teenage Green Day fans who call themselves anarchists and bought a T-shirt with an A in a circle from Hot Topic because the only Sex Pistols song they've heard is title Anarchy in the UK. You can argue that both are anarchists because definitions of "anarchy" are so varied that you can twist it to refer to anyone who just doesn't like governments, but in your heart of hearts you know that one of them is an Anarchist Proper, and the other is a douche-nozzle.

Essentially, it's sort of become an internet fad that's lost much of its meaning to a lot of people because of that and you can't tell from someone saying that they're part of Anonymous whether or not they are one of the people who have genuine beliefs, and one of the dicks whose use the term lets them justify hobbies such as leaving death threats on someone's voicemail.

It's the internet equivalent of Satanism, Kabbalah, and picking bits and pieces of Eastern religions that you think are cool.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Yeah. They only do this stuff for the attention it gets, and in a few years they'll get replaced with an equally annoying hacker group that lets anyone join. Then we'll all hate those guys.

Goatmeat

Jun 17, 2011
Zetion said:
The Anon that picketed Scientology and the Anon that made some girl cry or some shit like that weren't the same Anons.

It's not one big group who decides on shit, anyone can do something under the label of Anonymous.
That's the point I was making. Because nobody can decide who is or isn't part of Anonymous, nobody can regulate or say what the group actually is or does, so it renders the whole term meaningless.

Because there are people picketing against Scientology, other people DDOS-ing or hacking websites for their beliefs/ideals (like the attacks on Paypal when they disabled donations to Wikileaks), other people DDOS-ing or hacking websites 'for the lulz', and a load of other people just being dicks to people they just discover one day and decide they should fear for their life, ALL doing this under the banner of Anonymous, the only real conclusions are that the name means nothing and is just a silly thing that people use to hide themselves but still claim to be part of a group, or that there is a big group of sociopaths who all share the hobbies of bullying, hacking, and mindless digital destruction.

Of course, whenever I've seen Anonymous mentioned on television (which in itself is sort of surreal to me), they've gone for the latter.

Mudze

Jan 6, 2011
Um... Can you factcheck before you start blabbing off? The Anons that want to take down Facebook aren't even a hundred in number... Out of their millions of active participants. Go to any bastion of Anonymous activity and the Facebook operation will be openly mocked.

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
with facebook: you cant delete it and you cant reject friend requests so they can still see your profile. plus, if you mention any crime committed on there it can be used against you, even if your profile is private (see: the retards who actually do that. theres a lot.)
plus they let the whole world see the atrocities that the Syrians have done.

calling them pathetic is like saying all bronies are ironic. some of them are, some of them like it as a fad and some genuinely like the show.
similarly, some Anons are just doing it for the lulz, some actually have a serious cause (ie the ones who hacked the Syrian govt website)
and in both cases, its the stupid ones with no reason who get viewed as a full representation of the group.

haddaway234

Mar 19, 2010
Goatmeat said:
It's the internet equivalent of Satanism, Kabbalah, and picking bits and pieces of Eastern religions that you think are cool.
Haha I love that bit about Eastern Religions, coming from a family that is actually from the east, people who try to act like they are Hindu's/Buddhists because they think its cool are never really doing it right. I know a guy who dropped out of high school, does cocaine and has been arrested a few times who calls himself a Buddhist when people ask.

haddaway234

Mar 19, 2010
Rawne1980 said:
It could be worse, they could be out setting cars on fire and looting shops.

At least it's keeping them off the streets.
lol they're just some geeky kids, the only reason they do this "anon" stuff is because they can't do anything else.