Anyone else think Sutherland was badass as Big Boss?

heroofheroin

Feb 26, 2015
Seems Kojima was going for a weathered, tired snake this time around and I think Sutherland captured that perfectly.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I think Sutherland should have talked more in the main game.

I mean, he gets to talk in the recordings, but during 95% of the actual gameplay Venom Snake is completely silent.

Maybe it wouldn't be so jarring not to hear David Hayter if we actually heard Sutherland doing the role more. That's not to say that he wasn't good at it, but every time I heard him it took me out of the experience just a little bit.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
There is, and always will be, only one true Snake.

I'm sorry, but after 16 years of doing the voice of both (with one literally being a clone of the other) David Hayter is one of those actors who IS the character. Just like live action actors, voice actors can become the only person who can truly fill a role, and having Sutherland coming out of nowhere to voice Big Boss is just one of the many things that makes MGSV end up being a good game in a vacuum, but a terrible Metal Gear game, though his taking the role is far from the only reason this is the case.

Mudman1234

Dec 25, 2015
As someone who watched all 8 Seasons of 24 in the span for 2 months I welcomed Sutherland in the role.

However, The Phantom Pain being a Metal Gear game in name only, the story was arse. I would of loved if we had the story we were promised with hundreds of lines from Sutherlands voice.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Mudman1234 said:
However, The Phantom Pain being a Metal Gear game in name only, the story was arse. I would of loved if we had the story we were promised with hundreds of lines from Sutherlands voice.
I don't see how that was ever going to happen. Kojima wanted Snake to be more like Max from Mad Max, which happens to be one of, if not his his favorite film series.

In Road Warrior (Mad Max 2), a film Kojima has been obsessed with for years, Max had about 16 lines of dialogue. In Fury Road, a film he saw before MGS V's release and obsessed over anew, Max has, apparently, around 14 lines. Most of which are a single word at best.

Regardless, I thought Sutherland gave a very good performance.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Zontar said:
But isn't he, y'know, Solid Snake? Whereas Big Boss is, well Big Boss.

I'm not huge into Metal Gear, but I thought these were different two characters, albeit clones. Ain't it expected that one sounds and feels very different then? Especially considering Big Boss is the OG of the bunch.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
I always felt Sutherland in this role sounds like a young version of Solidus, who is the actual clone of Big Boss iirc, so it makes sense in-lore as well. Never was happy with Hayter being cast as Big Boss, and he was never a good actor to begin with. A fitting for the character of Solid Snake in the era of MGS 1 & 2, but really little nuance. And wtf did he do in MGS 4.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I thought he was pretty good. Main problem was that nearly all his dialogue was as part of optional tapes.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Zontar said:
But isn't he, y'know, Solid Snake? Whereas Big Boss is, well Big Boss.

I'm not huge into Metal Gear, but I thought these were different two characters, albeit clones. Ain't it expected that one sounds and feels very different then? Especially considering Big Boss is the OG of the bunch.
Big Boss was the main character of MGS 3 and Peace Walker (and Portable Ops), in which he was voiced by David Hayter.

On the flip side, as people often rightfully point out, there's still precedent for this because Big Boss also shows up in MGS 4, voiced by someone completely different. However, that could just be because of the weirdness of having Hayter talk to himself in two different (or not-so-much) old-man voices.

OT: I haven't played much of The Phantom Pain yet, but my impression is definitely that it feels like a very different kind of Metal Gear, and the lack of dialogue from Big Boss is pretty jarring at times. From the little I have heard of Sutherland's voice work, I did and still do think he's just not quite gravelly enough, as silly as that sounds.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I'm watching Arin and Suzy's LP. He doesn't talk much, does he?
And that's ok. Any dialogue Kojima doesn't write is great dialogue.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Maybe if he talked more. And no, the stupid fucking tapes don't count.

Even then, Sutherland's gruff is too floppy sounding compared to Hayter's.
Ambient_Malice said:
I don't see how that was ever going to happen. Kojima wanted Snake to be more like Max from Mad Max, which happens to be one of, if not his his favorite film series.

In Road Warrior (Mad Max 2), a film Kojima has been obsessed with for years, Max had about 16 lines of dialogue. In Fury Road, a film he saw before MGS V's release and obsessed over anew, Max has, apparently, around 14 lines. Most of which are a single word at best.
Than that was an extremely bad idea on Kojima's part, seeing as Phantom Pain has the protagonist be the passionate and vengeful man in charge of an army and calling the shots, when in Mad Max 2 and Fury Road the protagonist is just some drifter.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
Big Boss was the main character of MGS 3 and Peace Walker (and Portable Ops), in which he was voiced by David Hayter.

On the flip side, as people often rightfully point out, there's still precedent for this because Big Boss also shows up in MGS 4, voiced by someone completely different. However, that could just be because of the weirdness of having Hayter talk to himself in two different (or not-so-much) old-man voices.

OT: I haven't played much of The Phantom Pain yet, but my impression is definitely that it feels like a very different kind of Metal Gear, and the lack of dialogue from Big Boss is pretty jarring at times. From the little I have heard of Sutherland's voice work, I did and still do think he's just not quite gravelly enough, as silly as that sounds.
Ahh. Well yeah then I get why it might be weird.

Y'know maybe I really should get that Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (though that doesn't include the first one) for the PS3 some times. The more I hear about it, mostly thanks to the huge storm of interest MGS5 blew up, the more intriguing that that series becomes. I only ever played about the first 20-ish minutes of the PS1 MGS a bazillion times at a friend's place because somehow that's all we ever had time for and for some reason he didn't have a working memory card. It was certainly an...odd arrangement.

Oh and the glory that is Metal Gear Rising, but that hardly counts. I should really finish that some time.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
Than that was an extremely bad idea on Kojima's part, seeing as Phantom Pain has the protagonist be the passionate and vengeful man in charge of an army and calling the shots, when in Mad Max 2 and Fury Road the protagonist is just some drifter.
Ehmmm..
you do know that Venom Snake is basically just a decoy so the 'real' Big Boss can set up Outer Heaven in Zanzibar Land right? Venom was never meant to be this 'enigmatic' figure Big Boss was but rather just a stand-in for the player character. It reflects both the shift in style, tone and gameplay. Phantom Pain precedes the events of the original Metal Gear. The story of Phantom Pain actually retcons the events of the 1987 MSX game. Solid Snake doesn't take out Big Boss in this game but rather Venom Snake. The 'real' Big Boss used the events of Phantom Pain and the original Metal Gear as a ruse to establish Zanzibar Land. This is what Kojima meant with ''closing the loop''.

Things make more sense if you consider Phantom Pain is just a prelude to a 30-year old game none of you probably even played which is both brilliant and anticlimactic at the same time. Phantom Pain explains the ending of the original game while setting up the events of Metal Gear 2 while leaving much of the 'Solid' Big Boss storyline unresolved.

Despite Phantom Pain having a somewhat rushed 'chapter 2' you can still see where Kojima was going with it. It kind of reminds me of MGS2 for which Kojima was toying with fans' expectations before turning them completely up it's head.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
stroopwafel said:
Casual Shinji said:
Ehmmm..
you do know that Venom Snake is basically just a decoy so the 'real' Big Boss can set up Outer Heaven in Zanzibar Land right? Venom was never meant to be this 'enigmatic' figure Big Boss was but rather just a stand-in for the player character. It reflects both the shift in style, tone and gameplay. Phantom Pain precedes the events of the original Metal Gear. The story of Phantom Pain actually retcons the events of the 1987 MSX game. Solid Snake doesn't take out Big Boss in this game but rather Venom Snake. The 'real' Big Boss used the events of Phantom Pain and the original Metal Gear as a ruse to establish Zanzibar Land. This is what Kojima meant with ''closing the loop''.

Things make more sense if you consider Phantom Pain is just a prelude to a 30-year old game none of you probably even played which is both brilliant and anticlimactic at the same time. Phantom Pain explains the ending of the original game while setting up the events of Metal Gear 2 while leaving much of the 'Solid' Big Boss storyline unresolved.

Despite Phantom Pain having a somewhat rushed 'chapter 2' you can still see where Kojima was going with it. It kind of reminds me of MGS2 for which Kojima was toying with fans' expectations before turning them completely up it's head.
Yeah, I know.

That doesn't make Venom Snake anymore interesting or engaging. Quiet is supposed to be enthraled by this guy's ideals when she meets him, but he barely says or does anything. He just fultons dudes off the battlefield and occasionally shows up while Miller is whacking people with his crutch or when Ocelot is torturing someone. That's the extent of his presence among the Diamond Dogs, you'd figure someone would've caught on.

And that twist is one that makes the entirety of the game you just played utterly meaningless. You gain no new insight on any of the events or characters, and all you're left with is the pervasive feeling of 'The stuff that's going on over there is way more interesting, but you don't get to do or even see it. =p' It's fucking Metal Gear Solid 2 all over again.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Y'know maybe I really should get that Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (though that doesn't include the first one) for the PS3 some times. The more I hear about it, mostly thanks to the huge storm of interest MGS5 blew up, the more intriguing that that series becomes. I only ever played about the first 20-ish minutes of the PS1 MGS a bazillion times at a friend's place because somehow that's all we ever had time for and for some reason he didn't have a working memory card. It was certainly an...odd arrangement.

Oh and the glory that is Metal Gear Rising, but that hardly counts. I should really finish that some time.
I'm a very big fan of the Metal Gear Solid franchise so I'd definitely recommend them, but it does come with a lot of caveats.

First, there's the obvious: You'll need to have a lot of patience or an appreciation for weird narrative decisions and pacing. People don't exaggerate when they say the ending of Metal Gear Solid 4 goes on for about an hour (or maybe even longer, I can't remember right now). 4 has the longest cutscenes in the entire series, but even 2 and 3 have their moments, and the writing is going to be something of a love-or-hate-it sort of thing. It's stupid, silly, melodramatic, and overwritten, and that's a large part of the charm. I would generally describe the narrative of Metal Gear Solid as something like Splinter Cell (or any other sort of prototypical spy thriller story) after it's been passed through an anime filter a few dozen times.

Second, the gameplay of all the games pre-4 is also a bit of an acquired taste. The re-release of 3 (which is the one in the HD Collection, too) was the first game in the series to use an actual third-person following camera; the first two have fixed camera angles and a first-person mode you can manually aim from. 4 was the first game to actually implement over-the-shoulder aiming, and then Peace Walker refined it a bit more and allowed for things like moving while crouched. But as far as the actual systems are concerned, I don't think I've ever played another game that was really like any of the Metal Gear Solid titles, and that's both for the better and worse.

As for the HD Collection specifically, 3 stands on its own very well while Peace Walker is something of a sequel to it. 2 does stand alone, but there are a lot of little things that you're liable to miss if you haven't played the first one. I'd maybe recommend just going right for the Legacy collection if it's priced the same for you as it is here in the States; it's not that much more expensive than the HD collection and it also includes Metal Gear Solid 4 and a download code for Metal Gear Solid. (4 is probably the weakest narratively of the four + Peace Walker, but for all of its foibles it does tie up a lot of loose ends and has fantastic gameplay when you're actually given control.)

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Nope.

Then again, I don't like MGS V in general. Primarily because all the characters felt like shit in this one unlike usual where everyone is at least interesting to watch.

LonePunman

Jan 3, 2016
Forgive me if it's already been said, but didn't David Hayter actually damage his vocal cords when recording MGS2? He never sounded right after that.

See, unlike Elias Toufexas who uses his actual voice for Adam Jensen, Hayter had to force his throat to make Snake's voice.