Anyone ever had broken consoles?

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
Yeah, my 360 red ringed a few months back. Basically I spent ages trying to fix it. First I manually opened the tray, as it wan't doing anything, and then I tried to overheat it. I then gave it to my tech savvy friend who opened it up got rid of all the dust and offered to replace the thermal paste. He first tested it in his house and it worked. I was really happy so I took it home and, NO JOY. I then concluded after a week, that it was my power brick, a suggestion I had never seen on the hundreds of threads on RROD I visited. I flipped a table, borrowed a power brick and played Fallout.

HerraMetsoila

Oct 13, 2009
If I remember correctly:
6x Xbox 360 (two of those my wifes but still I bought every single one of these bastards...)
1x PS3, it stopped reading BluRays right when slim came out.
1x PS2
1x NES, still don't know what happened to it, it heated like hell and died all of sudden.

My SNES, N64, Gamecube and original Xbox still work like charm. Been lucky with everything but 360 and now it seems my latest Slim 360 is about to die.

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
Let me see.....My genesis model 1 died when I improperly connected a 32x to it. My sega cd model 1 died when I pluged in the wrong ac adapter. My original xbox power supply died and I had to buy a used system. My ds lite's touch screen cracked when I sat on it(but it still worked but I eventually sent it in to nintendo to repair it) and I also cracked my psp model 1000 the same way but replaced it with a faster model 2000. My Wii suffered a bad memory error and had to send it in to nintendo to repair it. My launch xbox 360 rroded twice, the first time I sent it in since microsoft still was covering it but the second time they wanted me to pay 130 dollars for repairs but if I was going to spend that much I just went and got a refurbished system from gamestop.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Not a single console i've ever owned has broken on me, unless you can't my old DS which took a rather nasty fall and pretty much broke in two.

I hope my luck continues to the end of time because if my PS3 stops working on me i'm not going to have enough money to fix or replace it for quite some time.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
let's see, had a gamecube die on me before, 2 xbox 360s RROD'd and my first PS3...didn't die precisely, but it started having trouble, so sensing that it was on it's way out, I traded it in at my local retailer for a model with more Hard Drive space, which is now owned by my sister as I have one with yet more space now, and saving to trade-up once again

EDIT: oh yeah and one PS2 died on me, I gave it a funeral, it served me well for a long time

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
My gamecube died on me.. But I do have to add it had been standing plugged in, in about 2 inches of water and soggy carpet because a supercell hailstorm destroyed the roof. Other than that, I had a Russian Dendy console that just stopped working.

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
Oly J said:
let's see, had a gamecube die on me before, 2 xbox 360s RROD'd and my first PS3...didn't die precisely, but it started having trouble, so sensing that it was on it's way out, I traded it in at my local retailer for a model with more Hard Drive space, which is now owned by my sister as I have one with yet more space now, and saving to trade-up once again

EDIT: oh yeah and one PS2 died on me, I gave it a funeral, it served me well for a long time
What the hell did you do?!

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
My old PS3 got a YLOD, I got it fixed, then six months later it bricked again, so I bought a new one.

That was fun.

jnixon

May 27, 2013
PS3 got the ylod the moment i tried to start ni no kuni for the first time a game i had waited for since first announced. Felt pretty good :)

compaqdeskpro

Apr 15, 2013
My first game console was an Xbox 360 that already had a red ring, I payed $10 for it and $5 for the hideous power brick. I wrapped the motherboard in foil and baked it in the oven, and replaced the Xclamps on the heatsink with washers. I got it to work for a week, long enough to play through Halo: Reach, which is why I bought it. Later on I bought a 360 from eBay for $80, the listing warned that they were red ring recovery launch models, using them for extended use is not recommended. I get the box and its unopenned with all accessories, and its the very last revision before the slims. It's been solid for 3 years now.

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
I've had reading disc errors with both the PS2 and PS3 (ended up repairing both of them, PS3 is broken again but I've no need to repair it now), and the internal battery on my GBA SP bit the dust.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
I've had the 3 Playstations die on me. The PSX simply stopped doing anything further than the light coming on. My PS2 stopped reading disks, I have no idea why. My PS3 turned off at the end of Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and won't turn on any more.

Luckily a PSX I found in a drawer is working fine and a PS2 slim I bought a few years ago is still going strong. Hopefully I'll trip over a PS3 in the street and it will last until the dawn of time.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
I've broken my first 3DS by dropping it a few times. That's the only one, because I'm in the PC gaming master race. I have had several PCs die though. My first two laptops died, and one desktop got killed by a lightning strike.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
keniakittykat said:
Oly J said:

What the hell did you do?!
I tried the whole "viking funeral" thing

I had this swimming pool out back, not dug into the ground it was kinda like a paddling pool but much bigger about 5 feet high. I had a small inflatable dingy from when I was a kid, I filled it with toilet paper (toilet paper being the softest and most flammable material avaliable to me at the time) so I put the PS2 in it, and set the toilet paper alight with a lighter and let it drift in the pool, while the Metal Gear Solid theme was playing on a nearby stereo (it was the most appropriate piece of music I could think of) I tried to time it so that it would get to the right part of the track at the right time. I was 16 at this point by the way, now I didn't consider the fact that very few materials involved were flammable, I'm not sure how to discribe what happened, but it was kind of...less than was expected, the toilet paper burned up and sort of blew away, the fire had burned holes in the dingy and the whole thing just vanished below the water reslly quick I was hoping it would be slower than that, end result was kinda disappointing. Especially since I got into a fair bit of trouble for it.

Oly J

Nov 9, 2009
EDIT: sorry accidentally double-posted, captcha problems I think, on that topic can users here delete their own posts or does a moderator have to do it?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I dropped my original (fat) PS2 while packing to take it to college with me. Well, knocked it off of the guitar amplifier it was sitting on is more accurate. The point is, the disc drive was broken in the fall. Funny thing is, the rest of the system works just fine -- if I really wanted to spend the money, I could get a hard drive and a mod chip and go to town with the stupid thing. I'd like to see a 360 or a PS3 take a drop hard enough to wreck the disc drive and still work aside from that.

Also, my game gear spent so much time on wall power that the jack for the power supply broke. In my defense, that thing ate six AA batteries in a couple of hours. I have fond memories of finding a wall outlet in Walmart and plopping down with it :p

Edit: Oh, and my Sega Genesis broke. Something got screwed up in the video output section. I took it to a repair shop, but they said they couldn't fix it, and I wound up buying another Genesis from them instead.

zalithar

Apr 22, 2013
I only had my first ps3 die on me. It wasn't that bad though considering it had poor ventilation where it was and that I had been running it for essentially a week straight. It only died after I put several thousand hours on it, so I definitely got my moneys worth out of it.