Anyone Find Handshakes Awkward

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
lunncal said:
I find them awkward because of the interview advice I've been given about 10 times at various points throughout high-school and college. I always wonder if my handshake is too firm, or not firm enough, or lasts too long, or not long enough, etc, etc. It makes me think anyone who shakes my hand is silently analysing it and judging me.

(By the way, what the hell is "Firm but not too firm", exactly? You can't get any more vague than that.)
Have you ever had someone give you a handshake and you think "What a weak handshake"? That's not firm enough. Firm but not too firm is saying that it should be firm without crushing or squeezing their hand in an uncomfortable way. Think of clothing. You don't want it to be three sizes too big, but you don't want it to be too small/tight either.

I really like handshakes, but so few people give good handshakes. It's like they go "A handshake!? Not a handshake!" and in their terror the only thing they are capable of is putting their hand out like a soggy piece of bread for me to shake.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
I dont like them as a form of introduction I feel like its a invasion of personal space but I dont mind if its used as a greeting with people you already know.

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
My hand is fractured and never healed properly.
I hate it when assholes insist on a "strong handshake".
I can shake with my left hand, but people are stubborn and some think it's a sign of the devil....

Uncreative

Oct 29, 2009
Once I get past my knee-jerk "Oh god someone's talking to me" response, I'm fine with them.
Probably somewhat amusing to watch me glance over, freeze, then calmly go on with the social conventions, though.

Lullabye said:
I can shake with my left hand, but people are stubborn and some think it's a sign of the devil....
To stave off this assumption, we must commence a complex plan involving ducks, sacrificial pyres, and at least three pick axes.

For the record, how do you feel about heights?

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
I don't really find them awkward but I certainly do hate them with a passion.
Physical contact kind of makes my skin feel like it's on fire or something. This is also why I can't stand hugs.

Aug 27, 2011
JochemDude said:
No, their bloody handy that's what they are, you can tell a lot about someone by how they shake your hand.
It sounds cliche but you're totally right. The handshake along with posture and eye contact tells you so much about someone when you meet them.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I find them awkward since I do lose handshakes and everyone else likes to do them firmly. I don't quite understand that, you just tore my arm out of it's socket and seem tense. Just chill man.