Anyone get the hate for Skyrim?

Axelthefox

Mar 29, 2016
Country
United States
Because i don't get it.

They say the dungeons are easy,but seems they forgot about the Dwemer dungeons that have the tonal lock that if you don't hit the right ones a dwarven thing will start attacking,or the dungeons that have the switches unmarked. There is one dungeon in the Galdur amulet quest that has switches unmarked.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Because it lacks any of the Gameplay depth and features of older games like Daggerfall and Morrowind.

In Daggerfall, you can have your own Pirate Ship.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
As far as I know there are no pillar puzzles you can't find the combination to. They're not always as obvious, but they are there. Also, the one tonal lock I found was pretty easy. Sure, some enemies spawned twice, but that was just more exp for me.

Aside from that, having a few exceptions doesn't make the entire game hard. Overall the game is way too easy. To the point that I can't see myself playing any more without a combat mod like Wildcat which makes combat more interesting and challenging. I also intentionally limit my vision a lot by using a mod that makes caves actually dark. As in, almost unable to see in front of you dark.

I don't consider Vanilla Skyrim a bad game. I don't hate it at all. In fact I really like it. But vanilla is 'a bit above average' best. It's when you start to mod the game that it becomes 'good' to 'great'.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I feel the hate (in the online gaming community) comes largely from 2 factors. The first is that a significant number of gameplay features are in that sweet zone of "not bad" to "decent" which is where adjectives like bland and boring can come from; this is almost worse for a game than being a combination of really good and really bad elements. The second is the modding aspect of both Skyrim and the previous ES titles. It's a lot easier to see the game as bad when your inherent expectations are filtered through the wealth of additional content and improvements that such an open and active modding scene has to offer.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
A lot of people critical of Skyrim dungeons are forgetting the the ones in Oblivion and Morrowind were kinda crap.

Oblivion had caves and glowey red hellscapes while Morrowind dungeons were 2 or 3 rooms with a total of 2 enemies!

Daggerfall was really the only one that was all about the dungeon crawl.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Mostly all the different releases. It was a greatly fun game, and I love it! Who doesn't want to hack and slash and stab and break and burn and main and burn and craft and enchant!

Then again I really enjoy the settlement building in Fallout 4, so maybe I'm just an odd duck

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Well, I dont really think there is alot of hate for Skyrim to begin with. There is alot of criticism for still lacking alot of what Morrowind had that was awesome that -should- have been expanded on rather than dropped by Oblivion, but it is still better than most RPGs and better than Oblivion.

And then there is more just hate for Bethesda, some of it valid, some of it not. I dont actually see alot of any real hate for the game itself though.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
jademunky said:
A lot of people critical of Skyrim dungeons are forgetting the the ones in Oblivion and Morrowind were kinda crap.

Oblivion had caves and glowey red hellscapes while Morrowind dungeons were 2 or 3 rooms with a total of 2 enemies!

Dagger fall was really the only one that was all about the dungeon crawl.
I liked that Morrowind had tiny dungeons. Not every 'dungeon' should be some massive labyrinth. Many in Morrowind were really just family tombs lost to time. I actually often avoid quests that go into dungeons in Skyrim cause of how friggen looooooong they are. The game knows it too which is why they almost always have a back exit or wrap around.

Skyrim really is alot like Daggerfall. Made such a big deal with 'radiant quests' in Skyrim when Daggerfall already did it. Though again, Daggerfall suffers from unpleasantly big mazes, and an impossible to read map. I wont lie, I often cheat to leave dungeons in Daggerfall cause how easy it is to get lost forever in them.

Variety is the spice of life.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I don't play Skyrim, so I must be considered neutral on the matter.

Axelthefox

Mar 29, 2016
Country
United States
jademunky said:

Dagger fall was really the only one that was all about the dungeon crawl.
Yeah,i have played Oblivion on my Xbox 360 and most of the dungeons seemed bad,plus the game seemed to have ugly graphics.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
jademunky said:
Morrowind dungeons were 2 or 3 rooms with a total of 2 enemies!
I?ll have to disagree there; I recall many of Morrowind?s dungeons being fairly expansive and varied, and given the lack of enemy and loot scaling, they posed actual threats with the promise of real reward. Also, with the lack of the hand-holdy mini map, exploration actually felt like exploration and not just a point-to-point progression of a tired plot. ?Go on this quest for the ancient Sword of Castration; no one has seen it for a thousand years, but it?s in those ruins right over there with the neon yellow arrow pointing to it.? Then again, I?m biased and TES hasn?t met my expectations since Morrowind.

OT, while I don?t hate Skyrim seeing it basically as a slightly better Oblivion making it still worse than Morrowind (see above,) the biggest let down for me were the dragons. Being the mythical badass ?Dragonborn,? I expected the dragons to be something worth being born from, but between scaling (again, see above) and the fact that they?re literally everywhere after a certain point in the story, they became just kinda meh. I was hoping dragons would be constant ?OH SHIT!!? epic moments throughout the game, but they quickly became ?ah, shit; again?? bland moments which kinda shit on the whole premise of the game for me.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I can't say the difficulty is really the forefront of any criticisms I have of Skyrim, or really any I hear a lot. And when it is, its not the dungeons, its usually the Dragons being pathetic pushovers for such a widely hyped dangerous foes or the breaks with difficulty progression due to the scaling system (You either become a living god if you focus on combat skills, or everything outpowers you insanely if you focused non-combat-optimal skills).

Bugs all over the place, the gibberish procedural quest systems, the dissonance of faction requirements, and the non-dynamic world that ignores everything you do (except for the omniscient guard commentary), a lack of enemy variety, awful voice acting, gutted magic system, boring progression. Such are the complaints that usually come way before the critique of puzzle mechanics.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Starts out with you under powered. you could be killed by a crab. Gameplay was too boring for too long BUT!

I don't know about the console versions but a million mods came out for the PC version. Those mods made the game one of the most enjoyable ever. Give yourself everything? Make the moon look like the Death Star? Your horse like a 1970 oldsmobile? It was all there. And a blast.

But on console without mods? I cannot imagine playing it.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Avnger said:
The second is the modding aspect of both Skyrim and the previous ES titles.
I'd imagine there's plenty of people - including myself - that would count the modding community as a positive aspect of Skyrim rather than a negative. To be fair, Bethesda is trying to fuck that over with their new paid mods scheme....ahem...."Creator's Club" or whatever the fuck it's called.

Point is that Skyrim is a big ol' sandbox that - at the moment - you're free to bring all the toys you want to play with in it. I don't think you can say "Well without mods, Skyrim is crap" considering that without Skyrim itself, those fun mods that make the game good wouldn't even exist.

I'll grant you that Vanilla Skyrim is pretty "meh", I remember a lot of people not liking the progression system in particular. The first time I got Skyrim was on the 360. I enjoyed it well enough to make it through one playthrough...but then I had no desire to play through it again. Finally got myself a gaming computer, picked up Skyrim again because I had heard it's amazing on PC (thanks to mods), and sure enough: mods breathed new life into the game. Now I rarely even finish a full playthrough before wanting to start a new game with a plethora of new mods that I want to play with. Wouldn't be able to enjoy the creativity of the modders and appreciate all the hard work they put into making fun mods without the base game to actually play them with, though.

OT: From what I recall, and I mentioned an aspect of this in the previous section of my post, most people that criticized the game when it came out didn't like how the systems had been watered down. Again, look at the lvling system...no longer were you to specialize in a class you picked or designed (that was one of my favorite things about Oblivion: being about to just make your own class by picking what skills you wanted), instead you're just a jack of all trades, fully capable of becoming whatever you wanted and - if you were willing to put in the hours grinding - become a master of literally everything. Combat was too easy and simplified except on the hardest difficulties, the epicness of a dragon fight quickly lost its majesty as you'd soon become too OP for them to be a threat (which made them more akin to troublesome pests rather than fearsome monsters), and yeah: as other's have pointed out the game was just watered down and too easy in general.

In terms of why it gets hate these days, the above reasons still hold true, but people are getting annoyed that it's become the new Doom. For those of us that grew up in the 90's, there was a running joke of "Can it run Doom?" Because Doom had been ported onto damn near everything. No joke: in high school I had Doom on my frickin' calculator. These days you can replace Doom with Skyrim, because Skyrim has been released on damn near everything. A few months ago when they confirmed that Skyrim was going to be coming to the Switch, Total Biscuit described a way that he could literally run Skyrim on his refrigerator (stream it from PC to tablet that has a blue tooth connection to a high tech fridge). It just keeps coming out over and over and over again...and as pointed out in a recent Jimquisition: despite the fact that Skyrim has been rereleased a billion times, Bethesda has done jack shit to fix the damn thing.

There's still game breaking bugs in Skyrim that have been around since it's launch, and Bethesda has done nothing about them. When they port Skyrim, they effectively just highlight all the files, hit ctrl+c, open up the Port To Switch folder, then hit ctrl+v.

For a game that's been rereleased, remastered, ported, and rereleased again...you'd think they could take another look at some of the crap still lingering in the game and polish it out. But they don't. Why? Because fuck it, that's why! They're still gonna get their $60 for a 6 year old game, so why bother?

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
It's boring, don't know what else to say

I got 30 hours in it but that's only because I've tried to get in to it about 10 times but I just end up getting bored out of my mind.

Axelthefox

Mar 29, 2016
Country
United States
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
It's boring, don't know what else to say

I got 30 hours in it but that's only because I've tried to get in to it about 10 times but I just end up getting bored out of my mind.
I have about 55 minutes or so on it on the nintendo switch

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So I'm stated playing Divinity: Original Sin 2. It's a great example of what happens when you dont have scaling in your game. It negatively impacts your exploration. I also rememember in Fallout 4 delibrately going back through dungeons becuase they were a fun challenge. Having scaling has negatives and positves.

The Witcher 3 is another example of exploration done bad. For similar reasons. The best way to describe it, that I've heard, is that you have to play it on the games terms. Skryim is different.

As to Morrowind's dungoens, most of Skyrim dungeons double back on itself to save players time of just walking back through areas they have fought through. It decreases boredom. My biggest complaint about Morrowind, especially compared to Daggerfall, is the amount of time it make you waste. It was a huge backwards step.

Divinity is also a good representation of questing issues. You can accomplish your goals in so many ways, which is great. But there is only one way that gives you the best rewards. Guess what that incentivises? Its probably becuase I started at the hardest mode (without Ironman) and if I miss out on XP, I will evenutally lose the game.

Divinity also emphasises being the nice guy by doing quests but then killing anyone once they are of no worth. This schizophrenic attitude really pulls you out of the experience. I'm all for playing the good or bad guy but this makes no sense. This game has people trying to slove crimes when you steal stuff, why doesnt it try to solve murders? I'm giving up being able to not kill NPCs in Skyrim for this? Its not better.

Maybe old school RPG and new just dont mix. Quite possibly. If you try to play Skyrim like the Witcher, you will have a bad time. And vice versa.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Xprimentyl said:
jademunky said:
Morrowind dungeons were 2 or 3 rooms with a total of 2 enemies!
I?ll have to disagree there; I recall many of Morrowind?s dungeons being fairly expansive and varied, and given the lack of enemy and loot scaling, they posed actual threats with the promise of real reward. Also, with the lack of the hand-holdy mini map, exploration actually felt like exploration and not just a point-to-point progression of a tired plot. ?Go on this quest for the ancient Sword of Castration; no one has seen it for a thousand years, but it?s in those ruins right over there with the neon yellow arrow pointing to it.? Then again, I?m biased and TES hasn?t met my expectations since Morrowind.

OT, while I don?t hate Skyrim seeing it basically as a slightly better Oblivion making it still worse than Morrowind (see above,) the biggest let down for me were the dragons. Being the mythical badass ?Dragonborn,? I expected the dragons to be something worth being born from, but between scaling (again, see above) and the fact that they?re literally everywhere after a certain point in the story, they became just kinda meh. I was hoping dragons would be constant ?OH SHIT!!? epic moments throughout the game, but they quickly became ?ah, shit; again?? bland moments which kinda shit on the whole premise of the game for me.
Don't get me wrong, Morrowind is by far my favourite Elder Scrolls game and the lack of level scaling was a good part of why. On my first playthrough, I found myself wandering into a cave that revealed itself to be a crypt guarded by an undead spellcaster that proceeded to murder the shit out of me. Seriously, to this day, the sight of a hooded skeleton with it's lower jaw missing is still the scariest video game character ever. So it goes without saying that, after finishing the game's main story, I systematically sought out and killed every one of those fuckers with my Claymore with the added 60 frost damage.

The only dungeons that I recall being remotely large were in the Tribunal expansion but, then again, it has been a long time.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I don't have a lot of complaints with the game itself, it was fine when I played it in 2011. I'm just absolutely sick to death of hearing about it. Jim Sterling said it best in his latest Jimquisition

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Saelune said:
jademunky said:
Though again, Daggerfall suffers from unpleasantly big mazes, and an impossible to read map.
Just a little too large eh? It occurs to me that I have not even fully explored the intro-dungeon in Daggerfall. Just somehow stumbled my way into the sunlight half-dead. #praisethesun