anyone got any experience with kittens??

SsilverR

Feb 26, 2009
hi, i just recently aquired a 12 week old kitten because my uncle can't afford more than one cat and she decided to give birth and i'm now a kitten owner

he started off really shy and he wouldn't come near me at first ... but after day 2 ... allll hellll broke loose. i woke up and found him asleep under my shirt and since then he's been very, very, VERY clingy ... i can't get any alone time .. i've fully toilet trained him and have no problems with scratching .. it's just that he won't leave me alone

he's come to hate my D-pad and keyboard and attacks them whenever i pick them up as if to say "no!! attention on me!" whenever i sit down he hops right onto my lap and whenever i sleep he's there under my shirt or my leg, whenever i eat he's there on the table begging for food .. even now he's climbimg onto my arm and whenever i enter a different room and close the door he won't stop squeeking >.<

does ANYONE know how to stop kittens being so clingy without harming or scaring them??? .. i googled it but all the answers are dead

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Cats tend to either be attention whores, or loners. Often there is little gray area. Cats are manipulative too by nature. Really all you can do is submit to it's cuteness.

rainman2203

Oct 22, 2008
How could you possibly not give him attention? Despite my manly facade I literally aww'ed as I read your post. Just let the thing grow up and enjoy it while its cute and affectionate and awesome.

Eventually it'll grow into a real cat and just ignore you until it requires you to do something for it. Its pretty lame.

Ciarang

Elite Member
Dec 4, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
NAME HIM BINKY

PLEASE GOD DO IT
DO IT RIGHT NOW
[HEADING=1]DO IT![/HEADING]

Anyways, kittens are clingy, but he'll probably grow out of it.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I fail to see how getting a bunch of loving attention from a kitten is a bad thing.

TheBarefootBandit

May 20, 2009
Try introducing other people to the kitty. It's a distraction away from you. Or go to a vet and ask for advice. They can actually help with matters not just medicine.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Damnit, now I fell like getting a kitten.

As for your problem, eventually the kitten will eventually be less clingy.

thejrade

Jun 16, 2009
You may not want to hear this, but your best bet is to get another one. Nothing occupies a kitten's hyperkinetic energy and meth-addict attention span like another kitten.

Also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEjKk5Kt3rs&feature=fvw

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Ok this is bad how?
I mean do you really need alone time from a cat?
The will of the kitten is too strong and will not be broken.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
That's just what kittens do, heck all mammal babies (human, cat, dog, anything) are like that. Shiny, rattly or crispy objects can distract them. Or another kitten.

Also, you have a kitten, get your ass AWAY from that console and play with that bundle of joy!!! Before you know, they've grown out of that stage and you'll secretly long back to it.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
First of all, be firm about the table thing. If you're not, he'll never stop. Gentle, but firm. Pick him up, put him on the ground, as much as is needed. I'd wait a little bit more, then get a very mild spray bottle to spray water on him with (a concentrated mist, never a stream), if he goes on the table.

Now, as for the kitten itself, you are now it's parent. It, being a kittin, will want nothing more than to be with you every second of everyday. Chances are, the kitten will always be near you, even when it grows into an adult cat. The cats in my house still sit on my mother every night when she watches TV or reads the paper.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
You're lucky you have a kitten.
I'm not allowed to get a kitten/cat. even after this damn dog dies (Should of died years ago. it's just living on to spite me.)

So...
Lavish it with pure love!
It's sooooo cuuuute!
I wanna take it home with me!

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
SsilverR said:
hi, i just recently aquired a 12 week old kitten because my uncle can't afford more than one cat and she decided to give birth and i'm now a kitten owner

he started off really shy and he wouldn't come near me at first ... but after day 2 ... allll hellll broke loose. i woke up and found him asleep under my shirt and since then he's been very, very, VERY clingy ... i can't get any alone time .. i've fully toilet trained him and have no problems with scratching .. it's just that he won't leave me alone

he's come to hate my D-pad and keyboard and attacks them whenever i pick them up as if to say "no!! attention on me!" whenever i sit down he hops right onto my lap and whenever i sleep he's there under my shirt or my leg, whenever i eat he's there on the table begging for food .. even now he's climbimg onto my arm and whenever i enter a different room and close the door he won't stop squeeking >.<

does ANYONE know how to stop kittens being so clingy without harming or scaring them??? .. i googled it but all the answers are dead
First off, congratulations! I've raised a kitten myself, so I know how excited- and overwhelmed- you must feel. :)

As for my advice, I'd have to say your number one rule should be to give your little bundle of joy plenty of love and attention, but not too much. Kittens are naturally clingy and attention-starved; after all, is their mother or father usually around to give it to them? Probably not. So you're their substitute. Try to give them all the attention they'll need.

I don't think you need to worry about doing anything wrong, though. The fact that he's warmed up to you this much means things are looking up. However, if you need to get work done or you have something equally important to attend to, I'd recommend getting a few cat toys for your kitten to play with. It's important to keep one's pet engaged. Barring that, try catnip and see if he takes to it. It's like pot for cats in that it makes them act equally crazy and dreamily content, only without any real side effects IIRC.

Overall I'd say you're doing a good job, though, and keep us posted if anything dramatic happens. Owning a kitten's a lot of responsibility, and these things do happen.

Best of luck to you, and your new pet. :)