Anyone have a DISABILITY?

Hiikuro

We are SYD!
Apr 3, 2010
Avoidant personality disorder (is the closest I can describe it). I guess it counts as sort of a disability, considering just how much it interferes with my life.

Imagine not having any close relationships, not even with your own family. Imagine having friends who are "just there", without being able to feel like they care or even like you. Imagine being unable to relate to anyone, with an intense but futile desire to find someone that you feel truly cares about you.

I haven't initiated contact for about half a year now (though I do talk to people somewhat regularly), something that even compared to my very introverted friends is extremely rarely. But I am unable to change this, as it is so deeply ingrained in my moral code not to start conversations because I'll only cause others to suffer.

I envy anyone who are more successful than me socially, and I've yet to find someone equal or worse off than me.

Harveypot

Feb 20, 2011
I've got Tourette's Syndrome. It's quite mild so it doesn't affect me that much, though it does annoy me when my finger twitches and I die in a game. No-one I know cares but most of my friends think it would be cool to have it. It's not, it's just irritating.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
Yeah, I was born with various spinal deformities. I can walk and stuff but not very far before my lower back starts to hurt, along with that both my legs are weak and have reduced feeling. I can't tell when my feet and lower legs are cold unless I touch them together or reach down and have a feel.

I use a wheelchair when I?m out and about.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
Not a disability, but I have mild to moderate double jointedness. Basically, I have loose tendons and whatnot, so I'm pretty flexible, and, as a result, I'm going to get all sorts of problems when I get older. It may be unrelated, but when I grip something too tight, I can't unclench my fist- its like the joints just seize up.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
The_Vigilant said:
Abnormally large penis.

*activate flame shield and abandon thread*
Are you sure you don't have Asperger's like everyone else?

OP: No disability to speak of. I'm one of the lucky ones.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Asperger's and ADHD. Neither are disabilities I think. I function perfectly well, the only thing hindering me is people THINKING I'm disabled.

Black Arrow Officer

Jun 20, 2011
My brother is near-sighted and needs glasses, otherwise anything that's 8 inches away from his face is undefinable. I have less severe near-sightedness.

My captcha: sightstl Nordlyset.

Nordylset, the infamous betrayer to Gropagas, has been sighted! We must terminate him now!

smurf_you

Jun 1, 2010
I have a slight speech impediment, that gets worse when I'm nervous.

I broke my back when I was 13, have issues walking still, even after my ankle surgery to help me lift my toes again (I severed a nerve in my back, I can't feel most of my right leg, and I have some dead muscles, they did a tendon transfer, it helped but sometimes it still really hurts)

So I guess more the second one than the first....

w-Jinksy

May 30, 2009
Doclector said:
I have aspergers. Which wouldn't actually hinder me much if it wasn't classed as a disability. Now I have idiots who think I can't do anything, or people who think I'm a pathetic self diagnoser.
Man my friend gets that exact same problem and he has a mild case of it, i feel sorry for him because people treat him like he's an idiot when we're in a A level class doing shit that would just make the people being condescending to him scratch their heads.

OT:I don't think i have a disability but according to some people, they seem to think severe depression is so maybe i don't know.

I certainly don't think of it as such

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
After an unfortunate accident a few years back, I can't feel my legs from the knees down. Simply put, it is currently physically impossible for me to walk.

It's been quite the hindrance, but I'm hopeful that science can fix me in the future.

Dissolve

Garroter of Maladjusted Slobs
Apr 27, 2011
The Lawn said:
I'm blind as a bat if I don't have my handy dandy vision enhancement device.

I'm incredibly nearsighted, and by that, I mean anything more than 8 inches from my eyes is blurry to the point it's unrecognizable.

It's not that bad and you don't really get anything out of it, but I get terrible headaches and eye strain if I lose my glasses and can't wear them for prolonged periods of time.
Oh, goodness. This is me. I lost my glasses in a sailing accident and basically needed to be guided around school for the next week before I could get a new pair. I was limited to reading about an inch away from my text books. Everything else was indistinguishable.

Also, I was diagnosed as mildly ADD, which is a pain when I'm in a long lecture. I was especially annoyed when one professor banned laptops in class. I have a dependency on my laptop to stop fidgeting and losing attention. Without it, I spent half the class squeaking back and forth in my chair, hopelessly inattentive and fidgety to the point of near anxiety.

Caffeine Rage

Mar 11, 2011
I hurt my leg a few years ago. Because of it, I have a chunk gone out of my left calf the size of my fist.

Depending on the day, I may not even notice my leg outside of a slower walking speed and a slight limp. Or, it can be a bad day and hurt so much I cannot focus on anything beyond my leg aching.

Sexy Devil

Jul 12, 2010
More of a mild impairment, but a pretty severe essential tremor. Can do most things fine, but it gets a little depressing when you're required to do things with relative precision (i.e. building a computer and attempting to put a screw in), where you try unsuccessfully for like a half hour before succeeding.

Dissolve

Apr 27, 2011
Sexy Devil said:
More of a mild impairment, but a pretty severe essential tremor. Can do most things fine, but it gets a little depressing when you're required to do things with relative precision (i.e. building a computer and attempting to put a screw in), where you try unsuccessfully for like a half hour before succeeding.
Aww... Sounds like you just need a build buddy. I'm definitely using my girlfriend's help when I build my new rig (She's as excited as I am). It's hard to get backplates on your MB for an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Gwarr

Mar 24, 2010
Glasses ? Well , contact lenses soon , but yeah I think it's a disability . Doesn't affect me that much as I am not blind without them , I just need them to be able to read small text from far .

Mr.Numbers

Jan 15, 2011
Doclector said:
I have aspergers. Which wouldn't actually hinder me much if it wasn't classed as a disability. Now I have idiots who think I can't do anything, or people who think I'm a pathetic self diagnoser.
Could not agree more.

I too am a 'sufferer' of Ass Burgers (that has been clinically diagnosed) and it's an absolute pain because I 'Have' to tell future employers etc. that I have the 'condition'.

Ever since the diagnosis I realized it was my fault I couldn't deal with people, stopped being an arsehole....Most of the time...and became, what I hope is, a good person (My girlfriend would agree; I'm one of the few people she can talk to about her conditions anyway)

And then you find most of the people on the internet source WebMD or something and claim that they're jerks because they have ass burgers and can't be blamed for any problems with social interaction to give the rest of us a bad name.

If anyone claims to not be able to talk to people because they have Ass Burgers then they don't have it; The only real 'treatment' of the 'condition' IS by working on your social skills to become a functional person.

Dissolve

Apr 27, 2011
Richardplex said:
ADHD, It gets annoying when I'm doing something and I get dis- Oooh, a butterfly.
It's not like that, but I'm sure you realize that. I actually have greater problems with my hyperfocus than distractions.