Anyone here (still) play Guilty gear Xrd?

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Last december a fighting game that hasn't had a new release in the series for about 10 years came out. Guilty gear xrd. When the game first game out the lobbies were booming, people were learning characters, chatting and having fun. Now 4 months later, the game has regresses into half filled lobbies, and few people chatting, people going all out to win.

While this isn't a problem in and of itself, but i find that the communities in these kind of compettive games tend to sour over time and make it harder for new people to come in, or non-hardcore people to improve. Luckily for me i have a mean elphelt ae to hold her ground, but i'm trying to learn potemkin and it's rough, especially with the more unfriendly players.

Question: does anyone still play GGXRD? If so how do you find you're experience online, if not what made you stop?

If you want to add any other details like who you play, server and stuff , feel free.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
LegendOfLufia said:
Question: does anyone still play GGXRD? If so how do you find you're experience online, if not what made you stop?
Still play GGXrd and will continue to play it as it's the only fighting game at the moment that I find particularly interesting.

The online experience isn't very good as the game consistently lies to you about the quality of connections. Perhaps the only thing worse than the netcode is the majority of the players I've run into. GGXrd might actually top USFIV for game whose online play bears the least resemblance to how the game plays offline. This is mostly due to the popularity of Sol and Ky and how insanely consistent most of the players who use those characters are in ignoring how unsafe some of their moves are and then banking on a dodgy connection covering their ass. This is one of those rare situations in life where I actually get upset enough where I find myself wishing there was a "Challenge this player to an offline match for their rent money? Yes/No" option.

I general GGXrd is an excellent game and the netcode is dodgy enough that I'm thankful that there's a fairly robust offline scene in my area.

PsiChaos

Nothing Interesting Here
Feb 21, 2015
I've noticed a lot of niche fighting game online lobbies die out fairly quick a little bit after release. That said, I'd play online if I were any good, but I suck ass at fighting games despite my love for them.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
PsiChaos said:
I've noticed a lot of niche fighting game online lobbies die out fairly quick a little bit after release. That said, I'd play online if I were any good, but I suck ass at fighting games despite my love for them.
Oh who do you play as? Personally i found Xrd to be one of the easiest fighting games to get into, as long as you don't play May , Axl or potemkin. Any charge character really. All the combos are cancels, so the combo timing is pretty lenient.

PsiChaos

Nothing Interesting Here
Feb 21, 2015
LegendOfLufia said:
PsiChaos said:
Oh who do you play as? Personally i found Xrd to be one of the easiest fighting games to get into, as long as you don't play May , Axl or potemkin. Any charge character really. All the combos are cancels, so the combo timing is pretty lenient.
I'm pretty partial to Leo most of the time, but I bounce around with Sol and Potemkin too. I'll play Sin too if I feel like being an ass that particular fight because damn he can be powerful.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
LegendOfLufia said:
PsiChaos said:
I used to play May and am now working on Potemkin and I wouldn't say that them having charge moves has anything to do with how easy or difficult they are to play. May is hard to win with because her midscreen damage is ass and Elphelt is basically everything she is but better. Potemkin is hard to play because he has no real reversal options and is big and slow in a game that rewards being small and fast. In general I would say that GGXrd embraces an excellent design philosophy and that is that combos should be easy but reversals should be hard.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I actually just got it a week or two ago for my new PS4. Was already looking forward to the game for a long time but didn't have a PS3 or PS4 to pick it up. It's been a refreshing change of pace from being stuck on USFIV on PC for a while, or whatever fighting games happen to pop up on PC. Though I've been without my PS4 for a week due to traveling for spring break, so I've satiated my Guilty Gear fix with the X2 #Reload port on Steam. Dustloop practice.

At this point, the only character I've gotten comfortable enough to play with is Sol. Which seems to work out alright for me. I'm interested in Leo, but the stance changes seem like something that would be very odd to get used to for me. I'm also kind of interested in Slayer, since I love his character quite a bit. But still too scrubby to really learn anything with him.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
I havent played much recently because I have been playing FFXIV with friends. If I had an offline partner to fight against I would be playing pretty much any fighter the were interested in 90% of the time but without that drive to compete against someone I know offline I tend to flit around a lot.

I had to import this game as its still not out in the UK yet I settled on I-no as her and Faust are probably my favourites (although the entire roster is awesome) but Faust was to weird for me to get my head around and I dont think I-no suits my playstyle either so I am thinking of changing to Zato, Milia, Bedman, Leo, Potemkin or Sol. Ky seemed to go fairly well when I used him but hes my least favourite character so I wont be using him even though he is solid and Sol just seems like a boring choice to me personally.

Think I will probably try Milia she seems like a refreshing change of pace to the characters I usually play which is usually more a potemkin kind of character.

I also keep meaning to go back to P4U, Dengeki, Skullgirls and UNIEL especially Dengeki and UNIEL as I dont feel like I have given either the time they deserve and both are great games but again no one else plays them near here so im not as hungry to get better as I should be.

Just got a friend to download DOA5CF so hopefully we can level up together on that even though im not terrible at DOA so hopefully he will not get disheartened and quit before he can give me some good matches so gonna try and coach him when hes playing and telling him how I am catching him out. He doesnt usually play fighters though so odds are he will not stick with it. If he does I will probably buy him GGXrd later on so we can play that.

I think the patch is coming out for GG soon apparently Elphelt and Ramlethal are getting nerfed although I do feel Elphelt is at the present probably a little to good I just hope Arc dont ruin her their balancing has been sporadic to say the least I wouldnt be surprised if on of these plummets in the tiers list while Ky or Sol becomes god tier because they buffed them for no discernible reason. Im just speculating though. I do hope Arc stick with this style for their future fighters for the foreseeable future because its beautiful.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
No Johnny or Baiken or Robo-Ky or A.B.A? No sale. All 4 of my favorite characters gone? The only reason I?ve even considered buying it is for the sound track, because--let?s face it--Guilty Gear has the best video game soundtrack ever. But when it comes to gameplay, it hasn?t given me a reason to buy it. Same thing several years back when SNK released a King of Fighters without Yuri or King. I just walked away.

cip_raziel

Dec 20, 2012
I`m waiting for the 5th iteration of this game with all the missing characters to come on PC.And it will. As much as I love Arcsys, they are horribly milking their games, they haven't heard of patching, just re-releasing with a slight change of title (usually an additional random ass letter at the end of the initial title). I got 4 variations of GGX2 I think.