Anyone know of a good program for a CYOA?

Feb 7, 2016
I've been in the process of writing a Choose Your Own Adventure story, but I wanted it to be slightly more complex than just making a decision and then flipping to a page. Something like Karma checks or Perks that can effect what kind of paths you can choose, or are sometimes decided for you based on your Karma, and then the program takes you to the relevant part of the story.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Was looking for something like that myself a little while ago, and came across Quest (or rather, Quest 5)

http://textadventures.co.uk/quest

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
There's also Twine, which allows you to make extensive use of variables.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
If it's just text you're looking into, then the above are among the best. Considering the only difference between a visual novel and a CYOA novel is art assets, you might also look into Ren'py, which is fairly straightforward and beginner friendly.

Feb 7, 2016
Thanks guys for the suggestions.

I ended up using Twine and I've gotten into a groove using that for the time being.

And I do want to add art at some point, but if and only if I can compensate someone fairly to help with it, which would mean that this would probably need to be more than just a fun hobby. Who knows what will happen.