Anyone thinking of getting Ratchet and Clank for the PS4?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Casual Shinji said:
CoCage said:
I already knew about it, but I am saving my money for Star Fox Zero first. And not be a downer, but some of you might have a problem with a remake. Apparently the characters don't know when to stop talking or giving "colorful" commentary.

Oh boy.
Well, some of the original PS2 games had a lot of banter, too. Commentators saying the same three lines over and over during colosseum battles was par the course. Some of the funniest moments in Ratchet 3 were the galactic rangers gabbing on during missions.

Not that this clip doesn't make me cringe slightly, but it's nothing new to the series. I guess it's just a bit more obnoxious now, because Insomniac feels they need to put more banter in since that's what everyone does now, but they don't seem to have the talent for it.
The last game, I played at least, with the best commentary was MadWorld. Howard and Kreese were a riot. While they did repeat some lines, every new stage encountered had commentary unique to it or off something the player does. Usually killing an enemy a certain way, or finding a secret area.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Casual Shinji said:
Bob_McMillan said:
I had hope for the Uncharted movie, but apparently that has stalled.
I heard both it and The Last of Us movie are scrapped. There is a God after all.
what are you talking about, they already made the last of us movie then remastered it the very next year and have also released 3 uncharted movies already with a 4th movie coming out just next month.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yoshi178 said:
what are you talking about, they already made the last of us movie then remastered it the very next year and have also released 3 uncharted movies already with a 4th movie coming out just next month.
Yeah, good one. Haven't heard that one since the last time I was on youtube.

But you're right... They're fine they way they are.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
Already beat it and loved it, but I'm a Ratchet and Clank fanboy. While not the best R&C game ever, both Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal are, it's still a really great game. It is the best looking R&C game, though. The comparison to Pixar is not unwarranted, but it's been said since Crack in Time. This is a step up from that. Some of the cutscenes are pulled directly from the upcoming movie and while there is a slight difference between them and the in-game visuals, they both look spectacular!

Many of the planets are almost perfect recreations of the original, right down to the placements of hidden items like gold bolts. Even the race tracks are the same. The flooding sewer section was made easier but still scares my inner child. Some planets were removed and melded into others to create larger levels, but made the game feel a little smaller.

Gameplay is some of the best of the series, but combat can get a bit difficult. The game is generous with checkpoints so death is no inconvenience. There are 15 weapons in total, counting the Bouncer preorder bonus. Weapon selection is a few from the original game with most returning from PS3 era, like Tools of Destruction. Only two weapons are new, the Proto Drum and the Pixelizer, and the RYNO is the RYNO IV from Tools, which is kind of disappointing. Though I would have been satisfied if all they used was weapons from the game that this is a remake of.

A few of the Trespasser and Clank puzzles were real brain teasers but not overly taxing. I wasn't expecting them to be as hard as they were, actually. The Trespasser parts can be auto-completed so little kids won't find themselves too frustrated if all they want is to shoot hordes of aliens.

The story is a modified retelling of the first game, but the addition of Dr. Nefarious really worked to the detriment of Chairman Drek as a villain. He was great in the original, but here he's kind of silly and the choice of voice actor doesn't help. That may actually be the point, though. The story is told by Quark in the form of a flashback, so it's possible he fudged a lot of the details and straight up lied about the whole the thing. He even added a "heroic redemption" for himself.

The tone leans on the kid-friendly side. There is one scene that hints at some existential/body horror involving a certain weapon. I'm surprised none of the previous games had this scene and I wish it went on a little longer.

Darla Gratch also looks exactly like Juanita from Deadlocked. Not sure why I mention that, just... I noticed it and it bothers me to hell.

Like the last the few R&C games, this one is on the short side. Took me between 9 or 10 hours to beat the regular mode and get all the hidden collectibles; your mileage may vary. Anticipate it to be at most another 7 to beat challenge mode, max out all weapons, and get every trophy. Have all the trophies for every R&C game so far, so I need this for completion's sake.

If you love Ratchet and Clank or just like action platformers in general, at $40 there's little reason not to pick this one up.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I'd like to keep my childhood intact actually. I have the HD collection on the PS3, and I'm not buying the exact same game for a third time, just because it's shinier. I actually prefer the PS2 style to the one in the trailer.

I will be going to see the movie, but I'm super pessimistic about it. Sigh, when did I become so cynical....and correct about things I have a cynical attitude towards?

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Sure! I've completed every other game in the series, so I'm on board. For me this is the perfect gameplay to unwind after a stressful day. Preordered right after it was available.