anyone try the Monster Hunter World Beta?

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
I just got done with the Monster Hunter World Beta, and honestly i'm impressed. They refined a lot of the things that were tedious, removed the loading screens and polished everything that was already great about the game.

All the weapons are fun to use, the game looks beautiful, the monsters look great, the map is hugr and full of life. The tracking system is amazing and fun to use. This beta has convinced me to buy the game. And best of all, no lootboxes and free DLC.

A+

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
It certainly feels like a proper evolution of the series. I'm a long time MH fan, cranked well over 1000 hours into the series. I adore what they've done with some of the weapons. I always liked the Gunlance, but Capcom kept fucking with it in ways that tried to balance a weapon that simply didn't need it, and they KEPT DOING IT. Finally, I played it in the beta and it feels incredible, it might be my new main for awhile. The rest of the game feels incredible. I was concerned about the ability to stay mobile when eating/drinking/using items as a change, but considering how fluid the monster movements and attacks are now, it practically feels necessary. Stay still too long in this game (more so than before) and you'll really get your teeth knocked in. Monsters re-position in ways I've never seen, even ones I've fought several dozens of in a single game. It no longer feels nearly as mechanical as before, movement tells are incredibly tight and varied compared to before. Even Barroth (A typically rather easy monster) gave me a lot of shit early on until I re-learned it a little. Just... gah, so much good. It'll be so hard to play any previous titles after this!

Very excited for January~

draigan

Apr 2, 2013
Yeah i am a long time fan of the series as well, put way too many hours into this series ;)

The Beta was amazing from the monster interactions to the map everything is a massive improvement.
while there are some changes to make things easier ( which i don't mind since they haven't dumbed down the feel of the game and MH having a wider appeal in the west means more monster hunter) it still looks and feels like monster hunter.

My only complaint was the 20 min timers on the beta missions was a bit crap felt like not enough time to explore but thats my only real complaint, cant wait for January.

Edit* plus with the game being voiced in English i can see how horribly i have butchered some of the monster names ;)

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
Aye, we absolutely loved it. Spent way too much time with the little content we were offered, but coming off a hateful Destiny 2 DLC binge, we were very, very happy with what Monster Hunter: World gave us. Loved the Tarzan simulator on the third map. Totally made us fail the mission because we were just having way too much fun being silly, swinging from vine to vine hunting each other instead of the big bad dino.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
draigan said:
My only complaint was the 20 min timers on the beta missions was a bit crap felt like not enough time to explore but thats my only real complaint, cant wait for January.

Edit* plus with the game being voiced in English i can see how horribly i have butchered some of the monster names ;)
Yeah the timer and the goofy method for forming lobbies with the random gen code were my two main complaints. Reddit has assured me that the timers get bigger (and apparently in main game you can play after killing the target indefinately and theirs and actual free hunt mode) and the code junk was because the normal matchmaking uses the town hub that wasn't in beta.

draigan

Apr 2, 2013
Seth Carter said:
draigan said:

Yeah the timer and the goofy method for forming lobbies with the random gen code were my two main complaints. Reddit has assured me that the timers get bigger (and apparently in main game you can play after killing the target indefinately and theirs and actual free hunt mode) and the code junk was because the normal matchmaking uses the town hub that wasn't in beta.
Yeah i figured it was beta only, I've seen some gameplay footage with the good old 50 min timers.
Its good to know the free hunt is still gonna be a thing, it was one of the first thoughts that crossed my mind while exploring the maps, I assumed it would be but nice to get some confirmation

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Im not a MH fan I have tried to get into the series multiple times in the past and well I find I like the concept of the games more than I like playing them.

However I was actually pleasantly surprised by the beta I messed around with a few weapons and well couldnt find one I really liked so just went with the Buster Sword type one and after playing the first coop mission and having no clue what to do as in the mission ended before I even found the monster (other killed it) I tried it offline and got the hang of it before jumping back online and clearing all the missions including the last one multiple times (liked that one best) I did die once however, frikkin lag on that sword is ridiculous but to early to tell if its gonna be a problem or I just need to learn patterns better (hopefully not to such an absurd degree it makes some styles almost impractical).

I wish there was more customisation for hunters but seems like there will be. I am not sure I will get it however as despite positive impressions it comes out the same time (pretty much) as Dissidia NT, and Dragon Ball Fighters z and I dont have much free time so despite wanting all 3 titles odds are I will only be getting one for now (Dissidia).

Jan 27, 2011
Maximum Bert said:
couldnt find one I really liked so just went with the Buster Sword type ... frikkin lag on that sword is ridiculous but to early to tell if its gonna be a problem or I just need to learn patterns better (hopefully not to such an absurd degree it makes some styles almost impractical).
I'm assuming you used the Greatsword.

Yeah, those require you to carefully watch for openings to strike. A lot of people pretty much rely on the "draw-attack" you do when you unsheathe it unless the enemy is clearly going to be vulnerable for a few seconds.

That said, it's a good weapon to start with. It's the weapon that finally made MH Tri "click" for me. It teaches you to watch the enemy for openings to strike instead of promoting button mashing which will get you killed.

Once it "clicks" with you, you're probably good to go for handling most of the larger weapons in the game.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
I really liked it. I was very surprised to find a "lock on" button. Most monster hunter games don't have that. Since I've played thousands of hours of Monster Hunter games, I almost felt like I was cheating.

Anyway, game looks great, plays great, monsters are great, will def be great with friends, looking forward.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Seth Carter said:
draigan said:

In most Monster Hunter games, little quests are like 30 minutes, and big quests are always 50 minutes. I'm assuming they will keep it like that for this game, the 20 minute thing was hopefully just for the demo.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
aegix drakan said:
Maximum Bert said:
couldnt find one I really liked so just went with the Buster Sword type ... frikkin lag on that sword is ridiculous but to early to tell if its gonna be a problem or I just need to learn patterns better (hopefully not to such an absurd degree it makes some styles almost impractical).

Yeah, those require you to carefully watch for openings to strike. A lot of people pretty much rely on the "draw-attack" you do when you unsheathe it unless the enemy is clearly going to be vulnerable for a few seconds.

That said, it's a good weapon to start with. It's the weapon that finally made MH Tri "click" for me. It teaches you to watch the enemy for openings to strike instead of promoting button mashing which will get you killed.

Once it "clicks" with you, you're probably good to go for handling most of the larger weapons in the game.
Im not sure it was the one with the sheathe think that was the other one that I didnt end up using and seemed a bit faster but maybe it did have a sheathe that I am totally oblivious about. I just know that when they put it away it did not look like it was in a sheathe and when they drew it it just looked like they took it off their back instead of actually drawing it from a case. think its the heaviest weapon after the hammer if I remember correctly could have been called the bonesword not sure now.

I remember it broke things pretty easy tho. Usually I would put it away get close draw it dodge or wait till an opening and then attack before either continuing if I thought it was safe or backing off and waiting again, usually worked fine but occasionally they would catch me after I had hit em and was attempting to dodge back. Like I said tho I have very limited experience with these games.

Just wondering if a certain weapon will rise to be clearly better than the rest as time goes on if only for certain hunts perhaps.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Maximum Bert said:
Every single weapon type is perfectly viable to kill every monster with enough skill. For some it'll obviously be a bit tougher, ranged weapons tend to be trickier to pull off faster hunts, unless you're nicely kitted out with a good set of skills.

Greatsword is a slow powerhouse, best used to exploit openings with a few hits and charged strikes, not attack spam.
Longsword is a middle-man's weapon, good damage and mobility, as well as horizontal range. It used to feel rather stiff, but it's a bit more fun this time around.
Sword and Shield is a decent starter weapon, has decent damage output and a shield for protection, and I believe it can still use some items while unsheathed.
Dual Blades are insane for damage, and are extremely agile, but use a lot of sharpness as a trade off.
Hammer is good for hard hitting attacks that can stun a monster, something most slash type weapons lack.
Hunting Horn is similar, but is the cleric type weapon in the fact it gives buffs.
Lance is good cause it does either slash or blunt type damage, and whichever type will do more damage gets the priority.
Gunlance is similar, but adds the ability to fire fixed damage explosion attacks. Very fun in the game, they finally stopped messing with its balance in bad ways. It's a ton of fun to fire off blasts.
Switch Axe is interesting in that it has a hard hitting and long range axe mode, but can switch to a faster and more powerful sword mode almost at will.
Charge blade acts like a Sword and Shield in some ways, but acts like a Switch Axe in others due to its mode switching mechanic. Using its Phials for damage, elemental, or other effects can make it rather lethal.

Light Bowgun is a high mobility gun that's good for a long distance supporting role and wide range of ammo types.
Heavy Bowgun is the heavier hitter, but trades mobility and some ammo types for that part. It's able to equip a shield, which is handy.
And finally, the Bow is a tricky to master weapon, but if used correctly by a really good hunter can make it very powerful for doing damage or breaking parts.

One important thing to remember though is that any weapon can become extremely valuable in a hunt if the hunter is using it right. That means watching monster tells closely, using their weapon to the fullest, and not being afraid to take a few risks. I've seen people use something like a Bow that I can barely use (Not for a lack of trying) and absolutely obliterated some monsters. Some hunters use a Lance in a way I struggle to pull off. It's all about finding the weapon type that suits you best!

draigan

Apr 2, 2013
Maximum Bert said:
aegix drakan said:
Maximum Bert said:

Im not sure it was the one with the sheathe think that was the other one that I didnt end up using and seemed a bit faster but maybe it did have a sheathe that I am totally oblivious about. I just know that when they put it away it did not look like it was in a sheathe and when they drew it it just looked like they took it off their back instead of actually drawing it from a case. think its the heaviest weapon after the hammer if I remember correctly could have been called the bonesword not sure now.

I remember it broke things pretty easy tho. Usually I would put it away get close draw it dodge or wait till an opening and then attack before either continuing if I thought it was safe or backing off and waiting again, usually worked fine but occasionally they would catch me after I had hit em and was attempting to dodge back. Like I said tho I have very limited experience with these games.

Just wondering if a certain weapon will rise to be clearly better than the rest as time goes on if only for certain hunts perhaps.

Great Sword is my favorite weapon class. what he means by sheathing is putting it away on your back so you can move at full speed and then drawing it from your back to make attacks when you have an opening. So the best method is to start with the weapon sheathed run at monster when opening occurs rain down some serious blows roll sideways away from the monster then resheathe your great sword so you can move at full speed again and reposition and engage again.

Also a good habit with the great sword is to not rely on your block, most fights i never use it it drains massive amounts of your weapons sharpness and once you get the hang of it and the monsters you should be able to dodge roll/dive out of harms way easier. pretty much only use the block if you are about to take a massive hit and are worried you might not be able to dodge

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
draigan said:
Ah Gotcha thx for the clarification now someone has said Long Sword I must have been using the great sword and yeah what you were saying is pretty much how I was using it although I dont think I was drawing it correctly as in I drew it and then attacked rather than drew and attacked in one go.

I never used the block at all just seemed barely faster than dodge and much more risky also I was unsure if the monster would still grab me which seemed to be the most dangerous attacks of the 3rd beta hunt and the reason I died once as it scooped me up chomped on me then ran over me before I could get back up.

Did find that if you could get 3 long charges off in a row it did crazy damage although such an opportunity was rare.