Anyone watched Ducktales 2017 episode 1?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So this has been talked about lately on the cartoon side of the internet and I realised no one has discussed the episodes on here. So I'm just wondering what you think of it so far?

As for me, yeah I agreed with majority that the reboot has set a strong impression so far. It pretty much did everything right for a reboot (make some changes to the characters to made them interesting, tons of reference/ easter egg while adding in new stuff).

While I do agreed that Webby is kinda a duckling version of Mable from Gravity Falls but I can still seperate the two apart (Webby is abit antisocial cos her time spent in the mansion and she is knowleadgable of Scrooge lore).

There is one minor compliant that did raise a interesting question, the need to set a continuous plot (what happened to the kids mother?). It seen most of the cartoons that appear to be random stand alone episodes may have a continuos plot these days (even OK KO kinda got one with Carol and Mr Gar past).

So what do you think? Are you going to watched the rest of the episodes this September?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Yes, I've seen it. I didn't hate it. Here's the thing, like many europeans I grew up with the comics and Ducktales, the 90s version, was always kind of a worse version of that. I mean, it was alright, perfectly watchable, at least until they introduced that stupid ass caveduck. The first episode of the reboot was pretty decent. Tennant does an alright Uncle Scrooge, the triplets have distinct personalities, Webby... well, she's less useless than she was in the old show, I guess. The Mabel comparison might not the entirely wrong though. I really fucking hated Mabel in Gravity Falls but that was more because of how the show treated her.

I guess I'll keep watching.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Lot of shows nowadays include serial plots because up until video streaming got affordable most shows weren't allowed continuity. If a viewer missed an episode and its rerun for just one week, there was no way for them to see it if they didn't record it. And anybody who came into a series midway through would be utterly lost without knowing what had happened up to that point. At best, you had narrative arcs that acted as a theme for certain disconnected episodes, like the Dominion War in DS9.

Now that anybody can see any episode any time, producers aren't (as) afraid to greenlight narratives that go beyond 2 episodes. That's a new freedom for the showrunners and writers, and audiences tend to love it too.

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
I liked it for the most part. It seems less aimed at being for kids and everyone, and more aimed at my demographic which is the one that watched it originally and grew up. Maybe it's just me, but I do have do wonder if the show will be dated in the future.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
I honestly loved it. It kept the adventure of the original, set up an overarching plot, I loved the personalities they gave Huey, Dewey and Louie, the new song was a nice update to the original without going into the route of how rap songs used to be used in the 90s for "updates", David Tennant's Scrooge was great, the in-jokes and nods to other series while setting up potential reboots of other shows like Talespin, Darkwing, and Goof Troop were nice, the animation was very good...

Yeah, I really want the rest to come out now. I honestly don't have any major criticisms. Woo-oo!

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
I liked it. I kind of didn't recognize Kate Micucci as Webby or David Tennant as Scrooge which are the two big reasons (besides nostalgia) that I tuned in. I do love that Scrooge is actually being played by a Scot now.

I was also taken aback by the lack of "duck" voices for the boys, Huey, Duey and Louie, but other than my preconceived notions, I think clarity in VO is a positive change.

I also like the Saint Canard name drop at the beginning. I would LOVE it if Darkwing Duck exists in this universe.
*Despite the fact that Gizmo Duck is in Ducktales and Darkwing Duck, the creator of Darkwing asserts that they are not in the same universe. Which is why Darkwing Duck never showed up in Ducktales (and he wasn't fully created yet) and more interestingly, Launchpad is a different character in both universes.*

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
I checked it out for mainly nostalgic purposes. It was fine and a decent to good kids show. I don't get why any adult would really watch it given the sheer quantity of quality TV shows nowadays. There was nothing close to classic Simpsons writing going on here.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
PsychedelicDiamond said:
Webby... well, she's less useless than she was in the old show, I guess. The Mabel comparison might not the entirely wrong though. I really fucking hated Mabel in Gravity Falls but that was more because of how the show treated her.
I kinda feel you, here. Like, it's great that Gravity falls finally admitted that Mabel's self-centered nature was a character flaw, but she never really has an arc with it, and ultimately gets everything she wanted anyway. Kind of a frustrating waste.

On topic, I was pleasantly surprised... like, I went into this wanting to hate it, because 90s kids with their nostalgic are like rabid dogs with steaks.

on the whole, though, they made all the right decisions. I have no legal means of continuing to watch it, but if I ever happen into a situation where I can watch it I probably will.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
It was pretty good. I will likely continue to check more of it later on...

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I really enjoyed it, though I haven't seen the original cartoon in ages...

I did like how they made the triplets separate characters and actually gave Donald something to do.

Oh, and that hook at the end really got my interest...

Frankly, it's nice to see a good cartoon reboot for once. (ARE YOU LISTENING CARTOON NETWORK?)

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
I liked the pilot for the most part, but I think that they made Launchpad *too* dumb, and they also seemed to need to fill practically every second with dialog, never allowing quiet time or even just background music to roll.

Though maybe I'm old, since I remember the original Ducktales.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
gsilver said:
I liked the pilot for the most part, but I think that they made Launchpad *too* dumb, and they also seemed to need to fill practically every second with dialog, never allowing quiet time or even just background music to roll.

that's actually more or less an american preconception for children's shows, I've noticed. American writers seem convinced that if they let the audio rest for even a split second, every kid in the world will get bored and turn to something else.

It's so bad that whenever a foreign animated work is brought over, be it a studio ghibli film, or even a video brinquedo knockoff flick, when it's dubbed into english any scene that's silent in the original version will be dubbed over, even if with nothing but grunts and sighs.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
balladbird said:
gsilver said:

that's actually more or less an american preconception for children's shows, I've noticed. American writers seem convinced that if they let the audio rest for even a split second, every kid in the world will get bored and turn to something else.

It's so bad that whenever a foreign animated work is brought over, be it a studio ghibli film, or even a video brinquedo knockoff flick, when it's dubbed into english any scene that's silent in the original version will be dubbed over, even if with nothing but grunts and sighs.
Heh. Yeah. I'm also an anime fan, and noticed how they did that with the dub of Ponyo. Constant dialog, even when there clearly wasn't in the original.

It's really sad that it's like this.