Anyone watched Spider-Man Homecoming? (spoilers inside)

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So I came back watching it hours ago and since we no longer got a review article, I figure I asked about what you think about it on here.

Just to be clear, while I did like Sam Rami version but it has been years I've watched it so I'm not sure rewatching it again, it will hold up (I remember the parade balloon animals were bad cgi). Also I have yet watched the Amazing version either as I had a feeling it would suck and I was proven right.

It did feel it was like a precluded compared to the usual Spider-man we had seen or read the comicbook. Having him in Queens, he couldn't swing that high like we usually seen him in NYC. Yes I guess it was like Spider-man Year One but still, I'm so used to seeing him swinging in the cities. That was one example of changes that I liked about the film.

As for the vulture, he probably the best Spider-man villain so far. He wasn't the rehash Osborne character and his motive was sound. Best of all, he actually get to lived in the end eventhought I sure he should of died from the explosion. We all know Spidy never killed nor was it the stupid excuse that he was killed by accident! Also it was nice to see the villain lived and was arrest compared to the previous villain death like Yellow Jacket and Star Lord dad (yes Dormammu lived but I'm certain no one is able to killed him yet).

Also him being Liz dad was an unexpected twist as I did wonder she was loaded when seeing her house! Still didn't they mention the Vulture surname and it didn't end with Allen? Is he the stepdad or she took her mom maiden name? Oh it took me a while to figure out who she was in the comicbook until it hit me after watching it (I remember her in Spectacular Spider-man). I did found it strange why she was the loved interest until it make sense at the end when she got shafted. Michelle as "MJ" was another twist. Speaking of her, did anyone else reminded of Janna from Star Vs The Forces of Evil? The way she acted like not caring and showing up random in places is so Janna!

The nikpick I've got was the "upgrade" the Spidy suit got after they took off the training wheel protocol. I've no problem with the glider cos some versions of his costume did had the webbing under the armpit but with other utalities like the insigna drone, the ai, the auto variation of the webshooter and the enhance vision for spy and interragation was too much! I guess that stuff could imply he is wearing the Iron Spider suit but I'm certain that Avenger suit at the end was imply to be the Iron Spider despite not looking gold and red like the comics. I also don't get how Tony fitted that many feature at once since didn't he had like 24 hours to recuit and make the suit for Peter in Civil War? I mean for crying out loud, he even make the suitcase for it so that it pop out when opened!!!

Oh Tony NEEDS to bring back the human factor and not leaving everything to the auto piloting! I also kinda find it ironic that while he supposely being more consider towards other (I mean it was that civilian death that lead him to register in the Civil War), he didn't give a toss with the little guys when he let Damage Control take over the salvaging stuff. Speaking of them, they too are bad at their job. I mean really? Just storaging the stuff and NOT double check the contents are still there upon arrivial??? Speaking of the suit, was the ai name Karen is any reference to the comicbook?

Lastly the milf like comment/ action to Aunt May still creep me out and his best friend was annoying as hell (so in their universe, they don't know the concept of secret identity and the consequences of it???).

Overall, I enjoyed it. Marvel did it right by bringing that character back to its roots by making that character an actual teenager than being a older teen ready to graduate. I also loved how it was refreshing by some of the changed it did comparing to the previous version (as mention in the above spoiler) like the location and certain stuff happened in the films.

Sure it kinda got annoying at time mainly for Peter being a teenager. We all know he was over his head but hey I felt that what the character would had done in the comicbooks.

Also if you're thinking of staying behind for the end credit scene, I say it's not worth it unless you want to be troll! The end credit is a parody of something that happened throughout the film and it has no relevent with the expending universe!

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hmyeah it was okay.
A lot of the movie seems to be a commentary on itself.

*Peter chastising RDJ for literally phoning in his involvement.
*Everybody commenting on his aunt being hot, like they know they keep de-aging the character.
*Peter's fat sidekick getting pumped about being his "guy in the chair".
*The way Spidey and Vulture's suits do the combat for them, kind of how CGI does the combat for Holland and Keaton.
*Donald Glover showing up in a conciliatory cameo after the fans raved about it for so long.
*Chris Evans literally pleading to camera how many more of these he has to make before he's let go. He's talking about Cap's corny videos but it might as well be referring to Evans' noted insistence on quitting the character.
*Even the title is basically just celebrating Spider-Man "coming home" to Marvel. I can't think of any other relevant "homecoming" in the plot and no, the fucking dance doesn't count.

And having Peter try to save a public transport and in the process get symbolically crucified is really just a desperate attempt to reminds us of one of the best moments in Spider-Man 2, AKA the last good one.

Scarim Coral said:
Still didn't they mention the Vulture surname and it didn't end with Allen?
They call him Mr. Toomes in the very first scene. Never gets the official "Vulture" nickname though (I think).

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Johnny Novgorod said:
They call him Mr. Toomes in the very first scene. Never gets the official "Vulture" nickname though (I think).
Oh yeah. I guess that is his nickname? Which I was thinking if it was related to the minor villain Tombstone. Yeah he was never called Vulture either or rather Spidy was the one who gave him that nickname.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Scarim Coral said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Oh yeah. I guess that is his nickname? Which I was thinking if it was related to the minor villain Tombstone. Yeah he was never called Vulture either or rather Spidy was the one who gave him that nickname.
I don't think the alias is even said aloud. Spidey leaves the cops a note saying "caught that vulture thing for you" or something to that effect. I did like how they went around with the Shocker/s though. And Scorpion.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
The film was okay. No, I don't think its as good as the first 2 Raimi films, but judging on its own interpretation, I found it very underwhelming.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
honestly, i think i appreciated it more than the sam raimi ones. maybe not better but at least on par with them. The story was good, it was funny, and overall enjoyable.

and best end credit everm with marvel litterally trolling it's audience with it...

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Always thought the Raimi films bordered on trash. Poorly cast, schlocky, paint by numbers. The "Amazing" variants had some better casting but suffered from inane scripts and pedestrian direction. Among the A-List superheroes no one has suffered more cinematic indignities than Spiderman (unless you count the Fantastic Four as "A-List").

"Homecoming" is quite decent. Holland captures the essence of the character and the film benefits from the steadying hand of the MCU. Those who find that cinematic universe a bit stagnant and overly commercial will no doubt find similar complaints here. It's a Marvel movie down to its bones.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
As a major Spider-Fan, I've been dreading this since Civil War. Now that I've seen it, Homecoming kind of pissed me off. It's the closest to my dream Spider-Man movie that any of the movies so far have gotten that I hated it.

On its own Homecoming is an okay movie, I guess. The plot was largely forgettable, and more or less met the standard we've come to expect from your typical Marvel movie. It was average.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
The movie was fine, but Spidey's competence throughout the movie was all but nonexistent mostly just for the sake of cheap slapstick and it really dragged down a movie that would have been a lot better otherwise. No moment more clearly illustrates this than the fight against the ATM robbers. Any other version of Spider-Man including those just as young as this version and just as inexperienced would have effortlessly kicked these guys asses in the space of about 10 seconds to a minute tops, likely before they even knew he was there. This Spider-Man instead walks straight up to them and announces his presence like an idiot, then gets into a several minute long fight scene that ultimately results in the whole bank being destroyed along with a Deli across the street.

It only gets much, much worse from there, in fact Spidey screws up at everything he tries to do throughout the whole movie, to the point that everybody involved would probably be better off if he did nothing, and even when he finally manages to defeat the villain he can't even do it without destroying a plane that probably cost hundreds of millions of dollars. I get that he's supposed to be young and new to being a superhero but come on, this Spider-Man is so green he looks like he got his powers an hour before the time of the movie with no attempt to train, not been active for months.

Not to mention that Tom Holland has proven he's an absolutely terrible Peter Parker and Spider-Man. Like Toby Macguire Tom has only one mode, HE'S LIKE SUPER EXCITED ABOUT EVERYTHING GUYS!!! FOR REAL DUDE!!! While Toby was the perpetual frowner who even when he's supposed to be happy looks and sounds like he's currently contemplating suicide, Tom just looks and sounds like he's so excited he's ten seconds away from giving himself a heart attack and on top of that peppers his speech with a bunch of painful slang.

Andrew Garfield got both Peter Parker and Spider-Man down perfectly. He's an awkward loser nerd, gets superpowers, then drops that and gains some confidence in himself. Then he spends some time practicing his abilities and then goes out and fights crime and it goes from there. Tom Holland just doesn't have the acting chops to do half as good as that.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I didn't like a lot of the casting in the movie.

Holland just sounds too excited and out of breath all the time.

The fat friend is annoying.

Flash is a HUGE dork, which completely undermines the bully dynamic he's supposed to have with Peter.

"MJ" doesn't look like she could pull off playfully calling Peter "tiger" and that's a goddamn outrage.

Bokeem Woodbine and Donald Glover are criminally underused.

Michael Keaton as Vulture is great however.

It also annoyed me how Spiderman is the direct cause of pretty much ALL of the collateral damage in the movie. He's made out to be almost completely incompetent for the sake of some laughs, and I feel like it really takes away from the character.

Somehow I still enjoyed the movie quite a bit despite these flaws.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
immortalfrieza said:
The movie was fine, but Spidey's competence throughout the movie was all but nonexistent mostly just for the sake of cheap slapstick and it really dragged down a movie that would have been a lot better otherwise. No moment more clearly illustrates this than the fight against the ATM robbers. Any other version of Spider-Man including those just as young as this version and just as inexperienced would have effortlessly kicked these guys asses in the space of about 10 seconds to a minute tops, likely before they even knew he was there. This Spider-Man instead walks straight up to them and announces his presence like an idiot, then gets into a several minute long fight scene that ultimately results in the whole bank being destroyed along with a Deli across the street.

It only gets much, much worse from there, in fact Spidey screws up at everything he tries to do throughout the whole movie, to the point that everybody involved would probably be better off if he did nothing, and even when he finally manages to defeat the villain he can't even do it without destroying a plane that probably cost hundreds of millions of dollars. I get that he's supposed to be young and new to being a superhero but come on, this Spider-Man is so green he looks like he got his powers an hour before the time of the movie with no attempt to train, not been active for months.

Not to mention that Tom Holland has proven he's an absolutely terrible Peter Parker and Spider-Man. Like Toby Macguire Tom has only one mode, HE'S LIKE SUPER EXCITED ABOUT EVERYTHING GUYS!!! FOR REAL DUDE!!! While Toby was the perpetual frowner who even when he's supposed to be happy looks and sounds like he's currently contemplating suicide, Tom just looks and sounds like he's so excited he's ten seconds away from giving himself a heart attack and on top of that peppers his speech with a bunch of painful slang.

Andrew Garfield got both Peter Parker and Spider-Man down perfectly. He's an awkward loser nerd, gets superpowers, then drops that and gains some confidence in himself. Then he spends some time practicing his abilities and then goes out and fights crime and it goes from there. Tom Holland just doesn't have the acting chops to do half as good as that.

See I'm on the opposite. I found both Tom and Tobey fit the characters of both Peter and Spider-Man quite well. Andrew worked okay with Spider-Man only in the first Amazing, but I thought he was a terrible Peter Parker. As for Amazing 2, yeah, that wasn't Peter Parker. That was just Andrew Garfield being himself and his Spider-Man felt like he was acting as a tamer version of Deadpool

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I enjoyed the movie a lot. The Raimi movies were fine and their own thing- lurid, fun, and over-the-top- but I believed Parker as a fifteen-year-old kid and the high school dynamics on display a hell of a lot more than I've believed the "real" lives surrounding the characters in any of the previous incarnations. Even with Iron Man coming in periodically, it still created a more "believable" world for me.

Also, the Vulture they created was believable and even not entirely unsympathetic; certainly a character with consistent and credible motivation for his actions, which is more than can be said for most of the chemically-unbalanced megalomaniacs of past Spider-Man movies.

I liked that Peter's actions had consequences, that there were people in his life who were both worried about him and feeling helpless to intervene or uncertain as to how to do so (which is a pretty accurate portrayal of how a lot of parents feel about teenage children), that Flash was a bully without being the usual big high school jock. I liked the reveals, both big and small (including the one that leads to the final pre-stinger line of the film, which had me roaring with laughter.)

I liked that Spidey had confrontations with people who turned out not to be altogether bad. I even liked the playful interactions with the new suit's AI.

I may be the outlier, but I'm not burned out on the MCU at all. I'm just pleased at how consistently enjoyable they've been. Even the "second stringer" films like Hulk, Thor, and Iron Man 2 have been far more watchable than, say, any of the Transformers movies.

I look forward to seeing this iteration of the character again. Hopefully they get to it before it becomes too incredible that Holland is playing a teenager.

Level 7 Dragon

Typo Kign
Mar 29, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
It also annoyed me how Spiderman is the direct cause of pretty much ALL of the collateral damage in the movie. He's made out to be almost completely incompetent for the sake of some laughs, and I feel like it really takes away from the character.
Prett much why I could't feel sympathetic to the character. Okay, why did you portray the kid as an engineering genious if he had the bright idea to take a glowing core out of a weapons stash, then bring it to the school worshop to poke it, then put it in his friend's backpack and then act suprised when it explodes and puts people in an accident.

Spiderman was so incompetent that I was rooting for the Vulture by the end, since he was the far more determined character and was generally far more relatable in his motivations.

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
Just like the first 2 Sam Raimi ones, I felt that the most memorable part was the villain. Micheal Keaton was excellent. I've known for years that he could pull off a convincing bad guy and he did not disappoint here.

One thing I hated was the whole "no one is listening to the kid" element. I've had a hate on for that trope since I was over exposed to it from 80s and movies. In fact, the whole subplot where Tony Stark was watching and simultaneously ignoring Peter was a real drag on the story. It might have been good if handled well but as it was I simply annoyed with it.

Too much obsession with the idea of the bad guys knowing who Peter is. Any other actor playing Vulture and I would not have believed him not selling Peter out once on the inside.

Tricked up Spidey suit feels like it undermines his whole blue collar poor street level hero thing. Minor quibble.

I enjoyed it though. But only about as much as the Thor movies which so far have been consistently at the bottom of the pack for me.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
cathou said:
honestly, i think i appreciated it more than the sam raimi ones. maybe not better but at least on par with them. The story was good, it was funny, and overall enjoyable.

and best end credit everm with marvel litterally trolling it's audience with it...
I love how Chris Evans nearly broke character trying his very best not to laugh, he freaking knew that they were gonna troll the audience hard with a Cap educational about patience hahahahaha

Anyway, regardless of anything, it was quite refreshing not seeing Peter Parker get bit by a spider, AGAIN, and witness his uncle die, AGAIN, for a change. I overall enjoyed the movie really.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I liked it, felt like when I was watching Spidey 15 years ago :D
Vulture was freakin' brilliant!!

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Dirty Hipsters said:
I didn't like a lot of the casting in the movie.

Holland just sounds too excited and out of breath all the time.

The fat friend is annoying.

Flash is a HUGE dork, which completely undermines the bully dynamic he's supposed to have with Peter.

"MJ" doesn't look like she could pull off playfully calling Peter "tiger" and that's a goddamn outrage.

Bokeem Woodbine and Donald Glover are criminally underused.

Michael Keaton as Vulture is great however.
That's another thing that's annoying about the movie, NONE of the characters in it look or act even remotely like the characters they're named after except maybe Flash, either the classic or ultimates versions, including Peter Parker. The Vulture is the only one who really benefits from this, because he gets understandable motivations and his Vulture suit looks awesome.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
I liked it and reviewed it [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/reviews.php?target_group=Film&target_title=SpiderManHomecoming] already. I liked that it managed to not be an origin movie, which seems to be a really big ask for Marvel these days. I also liked that Michael Keaton sells the shit out of the villain, with this OTT, blue collar bastard routine. I also liked that Peter Parker himself was nice and sincere, and not some wise cracking smug jerk like every other Marvel hero.

I didn't like how the fight scenes got a bit muddy and unclear at times, despite having some cool situations and villain designs. I also didn't like how the female love interest, despite being established as a genius, still basically does the same old Spiderman thing of either being a damsel in distress, or a complaining downer. The Spiderman franchise seems to really have it in for women.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
I like it. Like Tom Holland as Spidey and Peter and Got annoyed with Ned too quickly. Michael Keaton, dude, I need to see him in some more movies because he is so so gooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

Could you guys recommend any other movies Michael stars in that is excels at? Yes, Birdman is on the list.

However, From Guardians of the Galaxy Vol2 to now Spider-mam Homecoming, I am feeling more fatigue for the MCU with each movie. I liked King Arthur: Legend of the Sword MORE than Guardians of the Galaxy Vol2. The MCU fatigue is kicking in sadly. I hope Star Wars don't feel the same while Disney/Lucasfilms pump out more and more movies each year.

Please Thor take me away from the fatigue.

Marvel/Fox? Keep doing what you are doing away from Bryan Singer. Logan and Deadpool were great and if the rumours are true about a horror twist in one of your new movies, then do it. Imaging comic book heroes, mutants mostly, in a horror setting is unique n different.