APB: All Points Bulletin (and why isn't anyone talking about it)

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Candidus said:
captaincabbage said:
Mr Thin said:
Tekkawarrior said:
think of it like Red Dead Redemption but in an urban setting
One wonders why you didn't just say GTA4.

It looks good, but then, they all do. Plus with shooters you need a low ping, and I live in Australia, which basically rules that out.
lol same here, I'm in Melbourne, Australia and it can be a real ***** finding a steady ping in some shooters, otherwise I'd be right onboard since I just luuuuuurrrrrve customization! XD
I'm afraid that living in Australia rules you out for reasons other than a standardly bad ping. APB isn't actually getting an Australian release, so you'll need to import a copy and play with a proxy, which will add another layer of latency to your latency cake.

On the bright side, for once it's not the fault of your fascist censorship bodies.
Oh well, I've never bothered with MMOs before, why should I start today? XD

yum latency cake. It tastes like the tears of orphans

Lerxst

Mar 30, 2008
From what I saw and experienced, APB is only part of an MMO disguised as a full MMO. There's no open world, there is no seamless transition from social to action world, etc. Take any other MMO and you have these things as a given. You craft in a city, wander outside, fight a few things as you go to the next city.

There is no interactive story to get involved with. There is no kind of a crafting system that gets you a reward for doing. Even the weapon upgrades are a joke since you can max out after only a few hours in. In essence, APB is more of a FPS pretending to be an MMO since it lacks many of the real features an MMO has.

Transientmind

Jul 8, 2010
Hey all. Here's an update after release of the game and playing as an Aussie for a while:

Some awesome guys on APB, make the game worthwhile. Surprising number of Aussies (possibly more in hiding, not sure if making it known will result in fraud-ban due to no actual aussie release.) Think of it more like Global Agenda or a 3rd-person cross between MW2 and GTA4. NOT an MMO.

Common problems addressed:

MATCHMAKING: is deeply flawed. Hours of fun can be had, but hours of griefing and getting farmed by overgeared jerks can also be had. When that happens, your only option is to leave the instance/district and rejoin, hoping to get a different instance of it. Aussie prime-time, the servers can be pretty empty.

LAG: It does mean you have to spray and pray, and the client will forgive you a bit for some sniping - as long as your crosshair's on the target while you hit the trigger, you stand a pretty good chance at being given the benefit of the doubt, but the same applies to the enemy, so you can be around a corner and still die. Also makes driving interesting. Haven't been able to find a good proxy (lowerping said they weren't going to), if anyone does I'd love to know.

DRIVING: A lot of people complain about this, but once you get used to the fact that you're driving buses on ice, it's actually loads of fun. Think GTA4 driving, but on wet roads and you REALLY need a light touch on the handbrake. If you can drive well, you can feel like a real badass and be incredibly useful to your team.

MISSIONS: Yes, they are somewhat repetitive, but no more than CTF/Team DM/Payload. Again. This is not a MMO. It is a team-based shooter. Realize that and the missions are no longer a factor. They give you a way of progressing solo as well.

WEAPONS: Sort of rock/paper/scissors, very situational and the higher-level ones are dramatically over-powered. Not a lot of variety for criminals, enforcers get an interesting 'stun' mechanic, which drops foes faster, but lets them recover if you don't get into close range to arrest them. They'll need some rebalancing to be fair, but if you're willing for farm/buy some cash, you can do the whole 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em' exploit of the system.

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Belvadier said:
I was in the beta. I played it for maybe about 15 hours or so before I couldn't make myself play it anymore. It just wasn't very fun for me - the controls were clunky in general but ESPECIALLY the driving parts. There just wasn't enough stuff to do for me either.
Exactly this. The game lacked any kind of long-term interest for me. After I had got the car that I wanted, I painted it, then customized my character for a bit, after which I just felt like I've seen everything there is to see.

I could write a long rant, and I even tried, but there's just too much to complain about, and too many things to compare it to.

It's a shooter with clunky gameplay, subscriptions, no loot, and no long term goals. So basicly just an expensive, sub-par third person shooter. No reason not to play TF2 instead.

Divine-Devil

Aug 29, 2008
Australia canned it out, so I don't really get to say much about APB.

From what I heard, it isn't exactly that good. Nice ideas, poorly executed, or something along those lines.

For those wondering why it was banned in Australia (amongst everything else), it was because it depicted violence towards authority (read - Police). I mean fair enough point, but we already know that killing in games wont make us kill in real life, geez!

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
It's really, really bad.

cars handle like the road was made out of butter and your wheels were made out of rapidly melting ice

there's no significant customization beyond cosmetic crap

very few actual missions, which play over and over and over.

that's it, there's no content beyond playing those few missions over and over and over and over again.

starhaven

Jan 24, 2010
its an ok game but lacks blance its been out for awhile now and on missions it dont blance the teams a lvl 1 player with a single shot rifle and its not 1 hit 1 kill could end up taking on a lvl 14 player with a AK with full upgrades many new players get chased away because of this also the law inforcment side is a bit over powerd they have a kind of tasre they if they hit u game over and theres nothing u can do about it so many people who started as crooks are now changing

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Because the game is from average to horrible. [http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/apb]