APB Might Get More Story & Game Modes

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
APB Might Get More Story & Game Modes

In an effort to appeal to more gamers, APB might get a lot more content in the future, but it's only a possibility right now.

APB's upcoming content has been wondered about ever since it was announced that the game was going to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105311-GamersFirst-Acquires-APB-Will-Relaunch-in-2011-as-Free-to-Play-MMO>come back on as a free-to-play MMO under the the guidance of GamersFirst. A recent post on the company's APB blog has revealed that players might have a lot more story and a single-player campaign to look forward to in the future.

The company's COO/CTO, Bjorn Book-Larsson, revealed the following information via the APB Reloaded blog:

APB actually has the beginnings of a lot of the elements that will make it a really successful game in the long term, and could in theory exploit (maybe complete) both types of interactions [story and shooter elements]; there is actually a giant backstory to the entire city (100 plus pages of it), there are deep anthologies of the various factions in the city, and there is even the foundation for a single-player mission mode.

Of course, this is all speculative at the moment, but providing some new content that might appeal to a larger number of gamers certainly makes sense. That said, Massively points out that MMO players may not care about the story, since "Global Agenda is a similar title with a fairly deep backstory (and one that is summarily ignored by 99.9% of the players fragging it up in AvA and merc matches)." Personally, I'd rather have the story and the single-player option, but that's just me.

Source: Massively

IBlackKiteI

Mar 12, 2010
Can't say I see much of a point of single player in game like that.

How long were the servers up for initally again? Like a week?
What the hell happened exactly?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Upbeat Zombie said:
Weren't they closing this games servers?
They did, then these guys picked the game up, and now they're going to relaunch it as "free"-to-play, or as I like to call it, the pay-a-shit-load-more-than-you-would-but-in-smaller-lumps-so-you-don't-notice payment model.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I'd rather have a story subtly told through the environment than having it hamly delivered to me through a 'story mode'.

But if it's free I'll take either. :3

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Woodsey said:
Upbeat Zombie said:
They did, then these guys picked the game up, and now they're going to relaunch it as "free"-to-play, or as I like to call it, the pay-a-shit-load-more-than-you-would-but-in-smaller-lumps-so-you-don't-notice payment model.
It was my understanding that "free-to-play" means that you buy the game, but then there is no monthly fee. Like Global Agenda is now. There is usually something they call a microtransaction system, where you spend real money on in game points that you then use to buy certain things in the game, kinda like microsoft points. Correct me if I'm wrong.

insanejigsaw

Jun 21, 2009
Baresark said:
Woodsey said:
Upbeat Zombie said:
It was my understanding that "free-to-play" means that you buy the game, but then there is no monthly fee. Like Global Agenda is now. There is usually something they call a microtransaction system, where you spend real money on in game points that you then use to buy certain things in the game, kinda like microsoft points. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Many things now have a F2P system but most of the time it is very unbalanced from people who spend money making it almost pointless. Combat Arms has a good example it is free to play but you can buy better guns with real money.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I understood that part of the problem with the game in the first place was that the "higher level" characters were overwhelmingly powerful, to the point that even a large number of fairly skilled "lower level" characters had little chance of taking them down without multiple deaths. I don't think that changing "higher level" to "paid more money" is going to suddenly spawn a thriving community.

Still, I wish 'em the best of luck; I don't really want to see a bunch of peoples' hard work go down in flames without a fair shot.

Except maybe 3D Realms, because the level of doublespeak coming out of that place for ten years was absurd.

funksobeefy

Mar 21, 2009
I dont understand why they wont make this sinking ship just sink. I think think the Escapist is getting paid to continue to beat this dead horse of an MMO, cause no other place ever talks about it anymore.

Jackpot524

Certified Canuck
May 24, 2009
Oh... $#!*!

I totally smashed my disc in a blind rage after the servers shut down, now this! WTF!?!?!

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
So do i get to keep my character? if not I won't be going back after that grinding.

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
I only care if they add a matchmaking program that seperates newbs from high level players and soloers from groups. Making the .44 magnum NOT suck would be nice too.

Isaac The Grape

Apr 27, 2010
Freezy_Breezy said:
I only care if it's available to Australia.
I second this. APB was one of my most anticipated games ever. Right up there with the Orange Box and SupCom.

I signed up for the beta, I joined APB Evolved, downloaded all the trailers. And then the game's servers shut down before I had a chance to play.

If this comes back online I will play regardless of how unbalanced it is.

Lance Arrow

Apr 7, 2010
All my friends who bought it on Steam got theirs refunded and I was pissed 'cause I bought it at a retailer. Now I'm glad I'm the only one of my friends who still has his copy.

Anyway, yeah. I'll check it out again when it comes back up, looking forward to seeing new content and I'm crossing my fingers and hoping it won't be such an unbalanced piece of shit as it was back then.