APB Savior Grabs Another MMO

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
APB Savior Grabs Another MMO

GamersFirst acquired the post-apocalyptic MMO Fallen Earth and plans to convert it to a free to play model over the next few months.

GamersFirst is becoming a pretty big player in the MMO market by acquiring subscription-based that aren't exactly paying the bills. The Irvine, California-based company had a few big ticket games under its K2 Network banner (War Rock, Knight Online) before it came to the rescue of APB last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105311-GamersFirst-Acquires-APB-Will-Relaunch-in-2011-as-Free-to-Play-MMO]. While the team is putting the finishing touches on "reloading" APB, GamersFirst went ahead with purchasing Fallen Earth from the talented but beleaguered team in Cary, NC who had been keeping that game alive. The 12 member creative team behind the shooter/RPG hybrid MMO will stay on the job, while GamersFirst will handle all publishing and backend business going forward, as well as appointing a couple of its designers to help the transition to free to play.

"When talks began with GamersFirst, we were hoping to find a way to continue supporting our dystopian wastelanders who roam our truly unique MMO," said Marie Croall, content lead on Fallen Earth "Even better, the backing of an established global publisher also means we will share our game with millions of new players across the planet."

The plans for the free to play conversion are as follows:

Once transitioned to Free2Play, Fallen Earth will give free players completely unrestricted permanent access to every zone and instance in the game. Several types of services, items and conveniences will continue being sold in the Fallen Earth store. Subscriptions will be replaced by a tiered membership system that caters to players of all levels of engagement, and each membership will include reward points that can be used to obtain store items for free on a monthly basis.

Current subscribers who maintain their subscriptions through the estimated five month transition period will collect significant rewards when the game completes the transition, projected for Q4 of this year. "Veteran Rewards" will include lifetime upgrades to a premium tier membership for the price of an existing subscription, as well as unique veteran-only items, the value of which will be determined by the number of months the player subscribed between June 2011 and the completion of the transition.

Fallen Earth received a lot of positive press, but it always seemed like the game was unable to reach the audience it needed to survive. Hopefully, the free to play transition won't be too restrictive for core fans while allowing the shooter MMO mechanics to attract new players to the desert wastes of the American southwest, circa 2156. I, for one, have always wanted to experiment with the robust crafting system and the game's integration with the proprietary mobile application [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/interviews/7669-Take-Your-MMOG-With-You]. Maybe being able to try it for free will suck me into another MMO.

Ah, who'm I kidding? My soul belongs to Azeroth, and even then I can only play that about 5 hours a week, at best.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Ah, who'm I kidding? My soul belongs to Azeroth, and even then I can only play that about 5 hours a week, at best.
You need to quit any or all of the following and bump that up:

Work
School
Relationships
Friendships
Other Games
TV
Movies

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
Alright! I've wanted to try out Fallen Earth for a while now but haven't due to the entry cost.

I really wish GamersFirst good luck in their endevours and look forward to their future revamped titles. Turning struggling MMO's into quality F2P/Freemium titles can only encourage more people to play MMO's. Hopefully their business model is solid.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Greg Tito said:
The 12 member creative team behind the shooter/RPG hybrid MMO will stay on the job...
12 people?? Seriously?!

Wow, I'm impressed. I thought making and sustaining an MMO would take a small legion of developers.

Unorthodoxx

Jan 28, 2009
Fallen Earth wasn't a bad game, its just a lot of the things in the game require extensive crafting and it seemed like if you specialized in ruining monsters day's then you couldn't really craft much. I mean it was cool when I got a horse and named it Noodlez, and we tore across the wasteland shooting dudes in the face with what amounted to be a BB gun. But after a certain level I just couldn't keep going, it was an awesome game and I really hope it finds the players it needs. But I'll be sticking with Rift for a while as it seems to still captivate me.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I was in the Fallen Earth beta but didn't play for very long. It was an intresting game though.
Started playing a bit of Global Agenda(another wasteland MMO-Shooter) today due to it being F2P. It isn't as annoying as Fallen Earth was with the constant shifting between mouse and weapon targeting, but it failed to keep me intrested.
Hopefully Fallen Earth is better!

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Jonny49 said:
Greg Tito said:
The 12 member creative team behind the shooter/RPG hybrid MMO will stay on the job...
12 people?? Seriously?!

Wow, I'm impressed. I thought making and sustaining an MMO would take a small legion of developers.
Sadly they had to lay off the bulk of their workforce some time ago, so 12 is just what's left over to maintain the game.

It's a great little game, I tried the demo. It's one of the few MMOs out there that's not a WoW clone, it's unique and interesting with so many cool little changes they try.

What holds me back most is my reluctance to want to put the time into a new MMO to get good at it and reach the point where I have the freedom to do as I like and wear cool armour.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
No. For the love of God no. If anything is sacred to you, dont do it.

Gamersfirst RUINED APB from what it was, they will turn this game into utter shit as well.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
A-D. said:

Gamersfirst RUINED APB from what it was, they will turn this game into utter shit as well.
How did they ruin APB?

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
I'm tempted to try the new APB but I have to ask. Does it run any kind of intrusive anti-cheat software? I mean like Game guard or Punk buster?

Fallen Earth looks kinda cool as well.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Korten12 said:
A-D. said:

How did they ruin APB?
TTK(Time to Kill) has been reduced massively, meaning you take less shots to kill anyone.
The Game is laggy as all Hell.
Certain Upgrades have been removed which makes a certain Group of Weaponry potentially overpowered.
Weapons are imbalanced.
Cash Shop which allows Pay2Win.
Respawn Time takes 10 Seconds, even longer with LtL Weapons.
Customization is gimped unless you pay 15 Bucks per Month to go Premium, RTW asked for 10 Bucks per Month as Subscription.

Shall i go on?

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
A-D. said:
Korten12 said:
A-D. said:

How did they ruin APB?
TTK(Time to Kill) has been reduced massively, meaning you take less shots to kill anyone.
Certain Upgrades have been removed which makes a certain Group of Weaponry potentially overpowered.
Weapons are imbalanced.
Customization is gimped unless you pay 15 Bucks per Month to go Premium, RTW asked for 10 Bucks per Month as Subscription.

Shall i go on?
To say nothing about the sniper rifles, the worst community since Ijji, and the fact that's it's just 100% PvP. Oh and it takes LOTS of bullets to kill if you're not using a premium gun, but you covered that.

If Fallen Earth doesn't focus on the PvE aspect, I'm avoiding like the Omega Plague.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
A-D. said:
Korten12 said:
A-D. said:

How did they ruin APB?
Uh... I never played the original but it seems fine.

Subjective, it doesn't lag at all for me.

Can't say - since I haven't dwelved into Upgrades yet.

Weapons are imbalanced.
This is with any game.

As far as I have seen all it does is give you some more clothes and weapons forever. Which almost all can get normally for 10 days and getting the money for them is really easy.

Ill give you this one - the respawn does need to but cut down.

Customization is still better then 99% of all FREE to play games. Seriously the game is free, they can't give everything out for free. Also even with the restrictions you can still make cool and original characters.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Good news :D I don't really like GamersFirst, but APB is too fun to keep away from. Hopefully it'll stay that way. Fallen Earth was interesting, but I played it during alpha on a crappy laptop so i didn't really get far into it. Will be sure to try it once it goes F2P.

archabaddon

Jan 8, 2007
wammnebu said:
not before interplay can sue them for messing with their cannon
Ha!

But seriously, with the quagmire that the supposed Fallout MMO currently is in, Fallen Earth might be the best short to mid term solution to anyone wanting a post-apocalyptic MMO.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
Korten12 said:
Uh... I never played the original but it seems fine.
It removes any Point of Skill or Tactics the Game had previously. You could win by knowing the Layout of the Place or using Tactics with your Teammates, now Twitch decides who wins. Likewise it makes Aimbots and the like that much more annoying.

Subjective, it doesn't lag at all for me.
If you can die because your Hitbox does not keep up with you, therefore you die even while being completely behind cover merely due to the second delay, it is irritating.

Can't say - since I haven't dwelved into Upgrades yet.
LTL Which can Stun and lead to Arrests has no counter-measure as the Energizer Upgrade which reduced LTL Damage has been removed entirely. Which means that the Weaponry becomes more powerful, which coupled with Respawn can lead to up to 30 Second Respawns, if not even longer.

Weapons are imbalanced.
This is with any game.
They were balanced before. Right now they are going through the same Motions of having to rebalance Weapons. Some of which they refuse to do despite the obvious Advantages they bring due to it.

As far as I have seen all it does is give you some more clothes and weapons forever. Which almost all can get normally for 10 days and getting the money for them is really easy.
You can buy Grenade Launchers on Day 1, which have 1 Hit Kill, a Radius of 10 Meters and once you meet a Team of 4 People, where all of them have one, you will not get anywhere. Likewise a 2 Hit Sniper Rifle which can be shot out of Cars and you can sprint with (Premium). A Shotgun which can nearly 1 Hit Kill, as opposed to the basic Shotgun which needs a full 2 Shots. (Also Premium)

Ill give you this one - the respawn does need to but cut down.
As mentioned above. Can take even longer, especially when you get a Lagspike.

Customization is still better then 99% of all FREE to play games. Seriously the game is free, they can't give everything out for free. Also even with the restrictions you can still make cool and original characters.
It gimps one Aspect of the Game while not touching upon another. Likewise it asks for more Money for that singular Feature than RTW did for the whole Package.

Yoh3333

Feb 7, 2011
A-D. said:
Korten12 said:
A-D. said:

How did they ruin APB?
Weapons are imbalanced.

Shall i go on?
As a guy who started APB the second it went OB-F2P (100 hours total, i was bored) i will say this:

TTK is completely fine with me. No 1-shot kills. (except for explosives being unlocked late-game)
I find this to be just the place it has to.

Lag? Well kinda,I personally haven't had the biggest problems with a decent latency. This should also be fixed for EU today with the transit to Telia in Frankfurt. but not a problem for me anyway.

The removal of a certain upgrade is something i can't comment on since i don't know what your talking about :)

Weapons are imbalanced... Weapons are preety much balanced in my opinion... No weapon is 'clearly' the best which is what i consider the thing that determines if a game is 'imbalanced' or not. I have no problems with balanceing either.

Cash shop? Seriously? The Cash shop is not a bad thing here. G1 hasn't made this a Pay2win game. The guns (from my experience) simply take away 1 major drawback to a weapon. Nothing fatal. F.eks the Scout HVR. Gives you the ability to sprint with it. Why on earth would i need that when i can simply get a secondary and 3-point sling? the onlyone remotely 'P2W' is the Whisper being silenced.
oh yea, didn't see you mentioned Nade-launchers. well they are kinda annoying but ultimately leaveing you open to attacks, if you can avoid them or just sneak up to him you have a primary vs. secondary (unless he wants to blow himself up)
Besides, i have yet to find anyone with a paid nade launcher. (that's just luck i guess)

Respawn time is abit annoying, i'll give you that.

Customization rulez :)
Besides, if your playing with a group of friends and just 1 of you get Premium you can just ask him to make all your stuff. Besides, premium isn't the worst thing they've made. i consider it a good thing to have with the 30% boost to cash/standing but that isn't a must.

What i find annoying is the imbalance in factions...
to start with:
Bishada Rapier outruns any enforcer vehicle...
Crims get the 'escape' mission which is preety much an instant-win for the crims if they know that they have to split into 4 and just run away. (still waiting for it to be nerfed...)
Crims can easily make money whereas an enforcer who witnesses a Crim looses his prestige (wtf is up with that?)
more often than not missions final stages tend to favor criminals (Escape mission or the one where enforcers need 8 takeouts and crims just have to break into 2 places, if we die once then you can easily get both of them instantly)

Also, you mentioned LTL being 'powerful' without that energizer thingy? (don't know exactly what it does) well as my friend put it and i agree (he's gold TL3) "If you dare pick up LTL in a 1v1 fight on a level above silver then it's your funeral" They are so incredibly horrible to start with when compared to normal weapons. If the enemy has any decent weapon and you meet eachother without one of you being ambushed, guess who wins? Normal weapons.