apparently, dead space was to scary

ChaosStep

Dec 28, 2007
Lumber Barber said:
Does anyone know if the co-op character appears only when you're joined by someone or just tags along being generally a retard even when you're playing alone?
More than likely always there unless in a scripted split-up a-la GoW/RE5

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
ChaosStep said:
Lumber Barber said:
Does anyone know if the co-op character appears only when you're joined by someone or just tags along being generally a retard even when you're playing alone?
More than likely always there unless in a scripted split-up a-la GoW/RE5
According to Penny Arcade, you're alone in single player.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
You may not have been scared by the game personally, but I'm betting that some people were. You can't disqualify other peoples reaction based upon your own personal experience.

I wasn't really freaked out by Dead Space 2, but the original had its moments.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Rawne1980 said:
Let's make a survival horror game ... and remove the horror.

Although, to be fair, if you took lots of LSD and played it in the dark i'm pretty sure there would be something scary in there somewhere.

It wasn't exactly what i'd call scary.
'Course, neither was Doom 3 but I know quite a few people who could not finish that game, simply because it was too "scary".

You'd be surprised how squeamish your average person is; even gamers. Especially those not too familiar with horror tales.

In most cases, these types of people would never dream of buying a game like Dead Space. But, given that it's a "major" franchise that's heavily marketed by it's parent company (EA) a lot of people bought it. Usually just because they thought it was "cool" looking.

Now that EA wants to "broaden" the audience for the series, it does not surprise me at all that they're saying, and believing, that the original game(s) were "too scary". Because, in all honestly, for most people it likely was.

Sad but true, really. :/

As for me, I thoroughly enjoyed both Dead Space and Dead Space 2. Granted, I never looked at them as pure horror games. They were more like horror-themed action games. Kind of like Aliens was to Alien.

Taken in that regard, I had a hell of a blast playing them. That said, I'm really not looking forward to Dead Space 3. And I have only EA to thank for that. So...

Thanks EA! Thanks for once again ruining a much beloved series of mine and for once again prepping to ring the death knell of a talented game studio!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
scource?

Dead space tried but what never scary....but I dont care, I love it anyway

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
yeah , the first was only scary for a little while because you were not sure what monster was going to pop up next. With 2 the enemies were already established so it lost the advantage of the first.

Then again maybe i'm just desensitized to such things now XD Should i be worried?

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
It's natural for a company to want to broaden the appeal of any franchise it owns. More customers = more money. Sure, in the long run, it damages the franchise. But these execs don't think in the long term - they think in quarterly profits, yearly sales. Because they don't care about the long term success of EA or video games. These executives and business folks care about one thing and one thing only: Making money. They don't care if they drive studios into the ground, as long as they make money in the process.

Also, a lot of these executives move around a lot. They only stay at a company for a few years, then move to another. All they care about is making as much money as they can during their stay, for themselves and their shareholders. Most of the business executives at EA would happily burn it to the ground if it meant that they could walk away with a couple of hundred million dollars.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
Dead Space is Action-Horror, not Survival-Horror. So having another person there really doesn't take anything from the game because you really are never in a state where you feel vulnerable and scared unless you consciously put yourself in that position by limiting yourself. Sure, the monsters are creepy looking, but they aren't scary. The only "scary" parts are simple jump scares, it's the cheapest shit in the world. Even FPS games pull that shit. I guess I don't understand the draw of the game OR this backlash.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
I own the game, but I have yet to be brave enough to play it...

Now I am saying that as a complement. I want games that I am to affraid to play, like Amnesia the Dark Descent. Like most of you have already said, developers turning down the scary in a game because they think it's too scary for there fan-base. Silly.

Now to clarify, I get really scared in videogames. The last big scary games I have played were Doom 3 and FEAR, which I liked both but they terrified me...in a good way. Now to most people these games aren't that scary, which is why going into games like, Amnesia, Penumbra, Dead Space and even some great mods like the Nightmare House series is so scary to me, especially number 2....I watched someone play it, I never played it...sigh.

I am going to ease myself into horror though and probably start with Dead Space as it is probably the easiest. I also want to play the Resident Evil and Silent Hill Series.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Dead Space 1 managed to get some decent scare and atmosphere going in the middle part of the game. The start was too clumsy and the final levels devolved into pure shooting, but it had a good chunk in the middle that was just right. Dead Space 2 was not scary. It was a straight up shooter.