Appealingly ugly

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Which character designs, settings or whatever do you think are appealingly ugly? As in, things that are clearly meant to not look flattering, but still has a nice artistic flair about them?

I'd have to say the Joker. He does look like some deranged criminal, especially in some of the comic books and Tim Burton's Batman films, where his chemical accident left him with a permanent macabre grin. But it's effective in that it's creepy. I really like the way Brian Bollard drew him in The Killing Joke.

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
Scarecrow from BAatman Arkham Asylum. I mean come on, of course he looks like a terrifying maniac.

But, he looks like a cool terrifying maniac.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Iorveth.

This is what the game says about him...
They say all elves are beautiful, that they are born thus. In Iorveth's case someone set out to change this,
marking his face with an ugly scar that the elf partially hid beneath a crimson headscarf.
Apparently this fictional attacker didn't do a good enough job.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Relish in Chaos said:
I'd have to say the Joker. He does look like some deranged criminal, especially in some of the comic books and Tim Burton's Batman films, where his chemical accident left him with a permanent macabre grin. But it's effective in that it's creepy. I really like the way Brian Bollard drew him in The Killing Joke.
I'll have to second this. His appearance is always top notch, especially in The Killing Joke.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Garrus.

He was ugly even before he took a rocket to the face, but God-dammit he's just so cool (and for that voice... I would.)

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Mario?
I mean he ain't a beauty but the char is still somewhat likeable!

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
No one mentioned Pyramid Head yet?

Eh, I'm too lazy to google-image a pic at the moment.

But yeah, Pyramid Head. Or pretty much any enemy from Silent Hill 1, 2, or 3.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I quite like pugs. A lot of people I know say they're really ugly but wook at his wittle face!

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
At the risk of further beating the unrecognizable remains of what was once a dead horse: Sacrifice. The whole game. Beautifully ugly throughout.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Sean Hollyman said:
Scarecrow from BAatman Arkham Asylum. I mean come on, of course he looks like a terrifying maniac.

But, he looks like a cool terrifying maniac.
I really hate his look, it always seemed over-designed to me.

OT: Walker has half his face burnt off in Spec Ops, but it does look kinda cool. Extra brownie points for the way his shirt burns off entirely asymmetrically.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
The Ork armies in Warhammer 40K. Their stuff looks jumbled together and ridiculous, but god-damn if it isn't cool. The same goes for Chaos.

Nantucket_v1legacy

acting on my best behaviour
Mar 6, 2012

^ Treat Williams in Dead Heat.

The guys so good looking and has aged really well but that picture does him no justice. Zombie just doesn't do it for me.

Dethenger

Jul 27, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
Horkers back in Bloodmoon were the definition of ugly-cute:

D'awwwwww.