Apple Accused of Using Doctored Evidence in Samsung Court Case

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Apple Accused of Using Doctored Evidence in Samsung Court Case

Apple has been accused of submitting doctored evidence to a German court that ultimately granted it an injunction against the sale of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Europe.

Apple scored a big blow against Samsung in a German court last week, winning an injunction against the sale of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Europe over claims that the Samsung tablet infringed upon its patents "with respect to aspects of the iPhone/iPad's design and GUI." The injunction was modified today to include only Germany, meaning that Samsung can now legally sell the Tab 10.1 elsewhere in Europe, but now it looks like even that limitation may soon be lifted.

The Dutch website Google translated [http://webwereld.nl/nieuws/107599/apple-levert-onjuist-bewijs-in-zaak-tegen-samsung.html]] has found that the images of the Galaxy Tab 10.1, which were presented to the court side-by-side with shots of the iPad to demonstrate that it is nearly identical to Apple's tablet, were manipulated to make the device appear more like the iPad than it actually does. The aspect ratio of the Tab image was changed from 1.46 to 1.36, giving it an eight percent increase in width and putting it closer to the iPad's aspect ratio of 1.3.

The site quoted attorney and IP expert Arnout Groen as calling the move "a blunder" and saying that the doctored image submitted to the court "can hardly be a coincidence." And while German IP consultant Florian Müller said he doubts whether there was any malicious intent involved, Apple could still be on the hook for some serious damages if the court decides to overturn the injunction.

Sources: InformationWeek [http://www.pcr-online.biz/news/36876/Apple-false-evidence-in-Samsung-Galaxy-Tab-101-injunction]

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Hammeroj said:
Is there a reason not to hate Apple at this point?
I'm with you on this one. I usually don't take to the interwebz to rage against stuff I personally dislike, but sweet merciful Athiesmo do I dislike Apple.

Ironically, it's stuff like this that makes me never want to buy an ipad, but to buy a Galaxy Tab out of spite.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
Because if the evidence isn't in your favor, just change it to fit what you want. Like standards, customer needs and hardware modification. If it isn't the way you want it, then change the market.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Like their customers put up with their prices they thought the court would put up with their tamppered evidence. Other than, that why are they using photos of the devices instead of the actual devices to compare them?

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
esperandote said:
Like their customers put up with their prices they thought the court would put up with their tamppered evidence. Other than, that why are they using photos of the devices instead of the actual devices to compare them?
Unfortunately some of their customers are, for all intents and purposes, forced into buying macbook pros because their college/university requires it...

OT: This is just ridiculous. I dislike apple mainly for their pricing and dominance of the market, but this is just low...

guess it's time to go get a tab eh?

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
doggie015 said:
esperandote said:
Apparantly courts do not accept evidence involving electrical devices or stored on electrical devices, Too easily tampered with
They didn't think that throughfully enough. I want to see Apple resizing a physical Samsung Galaxy.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
FallenTraveler said:
Unfortunately some of their customers are, for all intents and purposes, forced into buying macbook pros because their college/university requires it...

OT: This is just ridiculous. I dislike apple mainly for their pricing and dominance of the market, but this is just low...

guess it's time to go get a tab eh?
I think it's bullshit that schools force people to get macs for their courses. Are they legally obligated to do so through some agreement with Apple?

Also I would suggest an Asus Transformer.

esperandote said:
why are they using photos of the devices instead of the actual devices to compare them?
Also this, what the hell?

Folix

Mar 25, 2011
i like it when apple are told where they can stick it (hint: it's up their arse)

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
This sort of thing makes me happy I have never bought an Apple Device in my entire life.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
doggie015 said:
esperandote said:
Apparantly courts do not accept evidence involving electrical devices or stored on electrical devices, Too easily tampered with
I think my brain just exploded from the sheer amount of combined Irony/Sarcasm

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
tsk tsk apple. didn't anybody ever tell you that fibbing to the judge is a bad idea?

I hope that judge throws the case clean off the continent.