Apple Announces iPhone 5

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
I have heard some very disturbing things about the productions facilities where these things are produced. Not that this is any exception to the norm but I have been repeatedly told that Apple supports a worker friendly production environment and a recent interview if true completely contradicts this.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Saulkar said:
I have heard some very disturbing things about the productions facilities where these things are produced. Not that this is any exception to the norm but I have been repeatedly told that Apple supports a worker friendly production environment and a recent interview if true completely contradicts this.
Without going into too much detail, there are suicide nets to stop people from jumping off.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
GAunderrated said:
Saulkar said:
Without going into too much detail, there are suicide nets to stop people from jumping off.
I do not get what you mean. Are you referring to some sort of worker support program or whatnot?

draythefingerless

Jul 10, 2010
Saulkar said:
who the fuck told you apple is worker friendly? Apple is one of the least worket friendly companies out there. Their own programmers and tech workers arent even supplied decently with software or hardware to work with! They are shit to work for. Im generalizing of course, but from all the people i know that work for them, they all immediatly tell me without flinching that they are shit bosses.

CAPTCHA: IS IT ENOUGH

well i dunno, is it?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
draythefingerless said:

well i dunno, is it?
Eh, you decide.

Back in January, in response to reports of repeated worker suicides, toxic working conditions and rampant illegal overtime, SumOfUs.org launched a campaign to push Apple to address reports of horrendous working conditions in its Chinese supply chain. Over 200,000 of us raised our voices to demand that Apple make the iPhone 5 ethically. That phone is being released today. In a few weeks, it will be on the shelves. But the iPhone 5 is not an ethical iPhone -- not even close.

In response to the massive public outcry, Apple promised to improve working conditions, raise wages, and put an end to involuntary labor. The Fair Labor Association -- which is paid by Apple to investigate Apple -- quickly announced that there was rapid progress at Apple?s suppliers. But independent reports from as recently as last month tell a very different story.

Apple claims that it?s ending forced illegal overtime, but workers are simply required to meet the same quotas within a regular shift -- meaning many have to work extra hours without any pay at all. ?Apple claims wages are rising, but deductions for room and board have also increased, as has unpaid overtime, so take-home pay has actually declined.? Meanwhile bosses are still abusive, unions are still overwhelmingly populated by management, students are still forced to work in factories as part of phony ?internship? programs, and workers still lack any collective bargaining rights.

Suppliers like Foxconn abuse their workers because Apple demands that iPhones and other gadgets be produced as cheaply as possible. But Apple makes huge profits, and it can easily afford to treat its workers ethically. And as the world?s largest company, Apple has the cash, the centralized supply chain, and organizational heft to drive improvements throughout the Chinese manufacturing sector by raising its own standards.

I was rather reserved in my choice of words to avoid an argument that I was not in the mood to get into.

P.S. I was told it was worker friendly by the people who sell the phones. I did not believe them given that they obviously did not know themselves.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
Saulkar said:
draythefingerless said:

well i dunno, is it?
Eh, you decide.

Back in January, in response to reports of repeated worker suicides, toxic working conditions and rampant illegal overtime, SumOfUs.org launched a campaign to push Apple to address reports of horrendous working conditions in its Chinese supply chain. Over 200,000 of us raised our voices to demand that Apple make the iPhone 5 ethically. That phone is being released today. In a few weeks, it will be on the shelves. But the iPhone 5 is not an ethical iPhone -- not even close.

In response to the massive public outcry, Apple promised to improve working conditions, raise wages, and put an end to involuntary labor. The Fair Labor Association -- which is paid by Apple to investigate Apple -- quickly announced that there was rapid progress at Apple?s suppliers. But independent reports from as recently as last month tell a very different story.

Apple claims that it?s ending forced illegal overtime, but workers are simply required to meet the same quotas within a regular shift -- meaning many have to work extra hours without any pay at all. ?Apple claims wages are rising, but deductions for room and board have also increased, as has unpaid overtime, so take-home pay has actually declined.? Meanwhile bosses are still abusive, unions are still overwhelmingly populated by management, students are still forced to work in factories as part of phony ?internship? programs, and workers still lack any collective bargaining rights.

Suppliers like Foxconn abuse their workers because Apple demands that iPhones and other gadgets be produced as cheaply as possible. But Apple makes huge profits, and it can easily afford to treat its workers ethically. And as the world?s largest company, Apple has the cash, the centralized supply chain, and organizational heft to drive improvements throughout the Chinese manufacturing sector by raising its own standards.

I was rather reserved in my choice of words to avoid an argument that I was not in the mood to get into.

P.S. I was told it was worker friendly by the people who sell the phones. I did not believe them given that they obviously did not know themselves.
They are worker friendly in the US but in Foxcon where they are made the employees are some of the worst in the world treatment wise.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
If you actually bought each new Iphone you'd be updating it more often then you should your desktop and it would probably cost more to do so. Maybe It's because I'm a computer scientist and a computer is the equivalent of a wrench in my mind and I usually don't get a new wrench unless the old one stops working.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
If it's thinner, then it's probably lighter too, which means it won't be able to weigh down the run key when I'm playing quake.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I think that Apple will soon be the new definition of "rehash". And why the hell do they make it thinner? It's already so thin that I'm afraid to break one while holding it.
0/10 would not bang buy.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Dags90 said:
Oirish_Martin said:
$200 in the US, but £530 in the UK?! Suck it, Apple.
The initial price for the phone is subsidized by the carrier in the U.S., and you have to sign a two year contract. We generally pay through the nose monthly in the U.S. for things like data, minutes, and unlimited text.

Yearly mobile phone costs are much more expensive in the U.S. compared to other markets.[footnote]http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactives/map-cellphonecosts/[/footnote]
Yes, after hearing people complaining that its much cheaper in the US than here in Australia, i went and did some research.

I went all the way to the checkout stage on 3 US carriers and 2 Australian ones, and Australians have it WAAAY cheaper.

The only thing we pay more for is outright phones, and its only $200-$300 more on an already $700-$800 purchase.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
i think it's a dick move from apple to not include the lightning to 30 pins adaptor. See the Iphone 5 have this new dock connector called lightning. it have a larger bandwith, and it's smaller. It's also mean that EVERYTHING you might have buy over the years for your I phone/pad/pod/touch, etc, that connected with the dock connector, will not work on the Iphone 5. unless you got this 30$ adaptor sold only by apple (which by the way is 5$ more in canada, even if the canadian dollar have a higher value right now than the us dollar).

unless my phone broke, i will not get this one.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Saulkar said:
GAunderrated said:
Saulkar said:
I do not get what you mean. Are you referring to some sort of worker support program or whatnot?
Insofar as nets will support someone who jumps off of a building, yes. The workers also had to sign pledges agreeing not to commit suicide in the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides

smudgey

May 8, 2008
GAunderrated said:
Saulkar said:
draythefingerless said:

well i dunno, is it?
Eh, you decide.

They are worker friendly in the US but in Foxcon where they are made the employees are some of the worst in the world treatment wise.
I don't understand why people only ever bring up Apple when talking about Foxconn? Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Samsung, Nokia, Toshiba and Acer all use Foxconn labour, so why does one company get singled out?

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
The iPhone has become the Call of Duty of the phone world.

LOOK WE MADE A NEW PHONE! IT LOOKS PRETTIER THAN THE LAST ONE WE MADE!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Despite all the criticism, people will buy them anyway. Nobody ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the average consumer.

I honestly can't see any new features with this one that would warrant an upgrade except wanting to part with your money as quickly as possible.

Personally, I think it's stupid to have a phone made of glass.

cerealnmuffin

May 15, 2010
Thing is there will be a bunch of people lining up to buy it. They'd have their iphone 4's in their hands and be looking at them with disgust. Then they'd be all super happy and toss away their iphone 4 they had for like a year. Cycle will repeat with the 6, 7, 8 onward.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Android smartphone?
Check.
Playstation Vita?
Check.

Why the fuck should I even care? That thing costs more than my phone and Vita combined, and is worse than both of them. Apple can either get competitive or I will continue not caring. And being trendy does not make it competitive.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Scars Unseen said:
Saulkar said:
GAunderrated said:
Saulkar said:
Insofar as nets will support someone who jumps off of a building, yes. The workers also had to sign pledges agreeing not to commit suicide in the future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn_suicides
Oh sweet Jesus! They actually installed safety nets around the building! Hahahaha!

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Want! Probably because I've had a 3GS for almost three years. Still a few days to wait, though, til the 21st. I'm in no rush anyhow.