Apple Doesn't Own the iPad Trademark in China

FunctionZ

Jul 4, 2011
Very interesting, quite hilarious too.

I wonder how things will turn out for both sides.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
I don't know whether to laugh hysterically or facepalm so hard I fracture my wrist.

I mean... in China... seriously? As in check-out-our-new-"eyePad" China???

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
Absolutionis said:
I'm not sure if this is Apple's inattentiveness or their arrogance that led to this. Either way, Apple getting sued for copyright infringement in China is quite...

*puts on sunglasses*

iRonic
Im pretty sure it was their "I don't give a fuck, you guys rip off our shit all the time, and we have one of the most powerful legal departments of any company in the world, so fuck you" that lead to this.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
This is kinda hilarious, tbh, but at the same time this shows how cutthroat people can be regarding the simplest of blunders. I feel for Apple, as this does feel like a lot of legal bullcrap.

But at the same time, I must concede and award a point to China here, because that was a nice legal sleight of hand you pulled. Though, imo, it's a very low blow and you shouldn't be doing that, at the same time I can't help but congratulate you on that very same blow. It's a very low blow, but it's a very impressive-looking low blow.

Oh, and WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL OF THE JUSTIN BIEBER AVATARS COMING FROM?!

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
dubious_wolf said:
TheBelgianGuy said:
Dooly95 said:
dubious_wolf said:
This is bull shit. I'm so sick of China's continued shenanigans.
I know right! How dare they make their own laws in their own country! Why, I ought to go out there and make them hang the American flag, because screw them and their thousand year history!
/sarcasm

An oversight by the UK firm in buying these trademarks off a Chinese company caused all of this. I doubt blaming China and their cra~zy laws is going to solve anything.

Incidentally, how's that continued battle over the first one to copyright rectangles going?
I think what he meant was, that Chinese companies continue to violate copyright and trademark from western products, and the Chinese government keeps protecting them so we can't sue them.

If it was the other way around, if some Chinese company would start selling Apple-copied products, any legal action from our side would fall into deaf ears.
But if Apple makes a mistake, the Chinese use our legal system -which they completely ignore if it suits them- to sue Apple...
Yes I meant this. Thank you for stating it more clearly and eloquently.
Yeah but it's also Apple who are trying to claim that design is patentable technology and I dislike the misuse of patent law.

So while it's not really fair I am fairly amused by this.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
And this is why you double-check everything.

however wasnt it official chinese policy to "get away with copyright if that means our people live better for it"? or was that the last leader. im confused. thne again maybe this is correct, getting away with apple is better for their people after all. i mean, no more sold kidneys for ipad [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/110611-Teen-Sells-Kidney-for-iPad-2] right?

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Rack said:
Grey Carter said:
Despite its reputation for being a counterfitter's equivalent of Disneyland...
Counterfeiter.

/Pedantry.
Hardly pedantry.

Counterfitter.

Counterfeiter.

Sometimes the smallest of errors can mean the widest of gaps.

Trasken

Mar 30, 2010
Chinese trademark law? yeah right up there with pro-abortion bible humpers in the crazy meter....

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
The big question here is "do we believe China?".

Even if they are right, my basic attitude is "sure, we'll get right on that, as soon as you start giving back the Quadrillions of dollars/pounds/whatever worth of money you've stolen through your robber economy".

I mean at the very best case it's sort of like a bunch of bandits screaming in outrage when someone sticks them up. :)

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
That's straightforward.

They made money from an IP name that they purchased without due diligence. When you make mistakes in business, it costs money. Apple should have to pay substantially for this mistake.

CapitalistPig

Dec 3, 2011
all i can say is this is hilarious. .1. u apple. I hate your code and your products. now update my ipod nano :p. AND stop asking me if i want to update my itunes. if i mark dont ask me again i mean it >.<