Apple: iPods to be The "Future of Gameplay"

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Apple: iPods to be The "Future of Gameplay"

Apple vice president Greg Joswiak is promising more software and even better gameplay with future iPods and iPhones.

"The quarter that closed September was the biggest iPod non-holiday quarter ever," announced a happy Joswiak, who heads the marketing of all iPod and iPhone affiliated products.

With over 1,500 games available, many for free, gaming applications are the most developed and downloaded software on in the Apps Store. As the list of free software grows, Joswiak aims to promote the high-quality, pay products that he also says are deeper than "casual games."

"There are real 3D games, and it's hard to imagine we're only a little over 100 days into it. There are already so many games and as we look at it, to us it really seems this is the future of gameplay," commented Joswiak. "Whereas a lot of these devices [Nintendo DS and Sony PSP] are more in the past. And a big part of that is not just the device itself, which is easier to carry, and has the touch display and accelerometer which is great for gameplay, but it's the electronic distribution of the apps as well."

Two key components to Apple plan for iPod gaming growth lies in pricing and marketing. With most games priced below $5, lacking licensing requirements and hardware that's already popular, Apple and its developer can undercut both the Nintendo DS and PlayStation Portable on price.

The demographic that often uses iPods, teens, also happen to be active gamers. Joswiak explained how this connection increases sales of iPod games: "For example our market share in the US is 78 percent and there's a group there that follows the teen share, which is 87 percent. So that gives you that leverage into this teen market which is able to then have their iPod, which again can play their music and their videos, and then go right into the games. And that's why on the store you see everything from the casual games, there's no doubt there are a lot of casual games, to the 3D oriented games, action games, and the amazing thing is you squint your eyes and think 'where is this going to be six months from now?' Because this is what people have done very quickly."

Joswiak revealed three new games to soon come to the iTunes App Store: Rolando, a side-scrolling platformer like Locoroco where characters are tilted and rolled around the level; Sim City and Need For Speed Undercover, all of which will support Apple's claim that the iPod/iPhone platforms will be "the future of gaming."

He also added the easy advantage iPods have over other handhelds, "The Touch is always in your pocket, whereas you can't always carry some other games consoles."

Source: T3 [http://www.t3.com/feature/t3-interview-with-apples-greg-joswiak]

laikenf

Oct 24, 2007
I might be wrong but I really don't see the I-phone/ I-pod touch as the future of portable gaming; they could create a strong base considering all the I-phones/ I-pod touches sold and yet to be sold, but Apple has to roll over Nintendo and Sony to get there and those two are not showing any signs of slowing down; as a matter of fact both user bases are just getting stronger (especially the PSP). And another thing to consider is that no one really buys an I-phone/ I-pod touch to play video games on it, games are considered just extras among all the things those devices do.

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
I wonder if theres anything Apple thinks it cant become the future of...

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
As an Apple fan, I'd just like to say; I don't care Apple, hurry up and give me a 64gb iPod Touch and be done with it. Nobody buys your products to buy games, we're not about to start now.

Uncompetative

Jul 2, 2008
Games on the iPhone will only become a serious proposition if & when Apple decide to join two of them together in a DS-like clamshell.

This would protect the screens from scratches, the upper screen would no longer be obscured by you touching it, the lower screen could support the layout of a gamepad through multitouch hence, conventional dual-thumbstick support. However, it would need some analog triggers on the hinged part for racing games and FPS titles.

Probably won't happen though.

GyroCaptain

Jan 7, 2008
iPods can indeed become the future of games. Games like ice hockey, that is, I'm pretty sure that the rectangular shape would lend itself to all kinds of new strategies. Imagine the inventive ways disintegration would come into scoring. I'll stick to the new Dell Server curling, though.

In seriousness, Apple is talking out of their ass on this one.

reaper_2k9

Keeper of the Beer
Oct 22, 2008
That's extremely funny that Apple wants to swoop in and say they are the future of hand held gaming, I mean come on how long has Nintendo been on the scene? I have owned every generation of gameboy and I have to say Apple is getting a little to big for their britches if they think they are going to usurp a company that has been doing the hand held thing for as long as Nintendo has. Even the psp, it may not have been as big as Sony wanted still has a bigger market for gamers then Apple does.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
RAKtheUndead said:
And yet, the iPod/iPhone platforms can't even touch the amount of programs available for Palm OS, somewhere in the region of 12,000, if I remember correctly, including hundreds of open-source programs.
Yeah... and I don't remember anyone saying that the Palm Pilot is the future of gaming. Or cell phones. No, I believe the future of gaming is going to be dedicated game consoles, not a phone with a touchscreen.

crazy-j

Sep 15, 2008
alright i think apple is a great compnay.....BUT ARE THEY FUCKING INSANE!

ipods replacing well established consoles, over my dead body

SirSchmoopy

Apr 15, 2008
Sorry but the last thing apple is good at is GAMES. Good luck apple you stupid fucking company. Stop trying to do everything and just do what your fucking good at.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
well the issue is that mnost games on the ipod suck, they can't be very complex or as in depth as a psp or ds game can be

that and Steve Jobs has said he doesn't like gaming, if they were smart enough to get more games they'd sell a ton more mac's