Apple Pulls Plug On Nine Inch Nails App

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Well Tiamat666, the Ipod/Iphone has been going about saying "we can do games and stuff!" so it's slowly being accepted as a handheld game platform.
That and we're talking about interesting tech news that might affect games as well.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
Aren't these the guys who's music was used to torture prisoners at Gitmo?
Wouldn't surprise me.

Other than that, a reference to an album is the reason it's been banned? Can't they just take it out?

jacodemon

Aug 19, 2008
All I can find is a lot of second-hand copy - has no-one asked Apple's press office for a statement on this yet? With emphasis on the why rather than the what?

Doomdiver

Mar 30, 2009
Bring it to android instead! This is one of the main reasons I chose the G1 over the iphone, there are less content restrictions on the android market and even if it is reported and taken down from the market it can still be distributed elsewhere. Android is the future! :p

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
This (like Apple's business model) is beyond retarded. Let's assume that this was rejected because it references The Downward Spiral. I think I can safely say that 99% of the people downloading this app would be NIN fans, and all of them would know of that album and likely be FANS of it. For that 1% idiot/non-fan group, why not just put a disclaimer on the app that says like, "This band makes music that some people may find objectionable. Download with discretion"? I don't know how the App Store works as I don't have (and never will own) an iPhone, but I don't think what I'm proposing is that out of the ordinary...

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
I'd second that yourbeliefs.

I can understand Apple wanting to prevent bad press from things like the baby shaker app, but there appears to be no logical reason for the NIN app to be removed.

That said, I will never be buying an iPhone, can't stand the things.

ironfist86

Oct 16, 2008
goodchild said:
It's not just Closer that might be objectionable (and this is coming from a huge NIN fan here) - if looked at in certain ways, the whole album could be construed as such. A track called HERESY repeats, over and over, "God is dead, and no one cares - If there is a hell, I'll see you there". Reznor's music usually has a very anti-religious message in it, so that could be it.
I wasn't aware that Apple supported a particular religion.

BillBarilko

May 6, 2008
I'm not a big NIN fan, but I like some of their music, and I really dig on Trent Reznor's approach to distributing his music and endeavours to connect fans with the band and each other. Unfortunately, the app that Apple's pulling has been crashtastic from day one. Hope something can be worked out to get it back in the App Store, not to mention working properly.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
schubi said:
Maybe they have a problem with the song "Closer"?
Believe it or not, there's much worse songs on the album when it comes to objectionable content.

Like Mr. Self Destruct (actual title), or Heresy.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
Surely there's more going on here than it seems. *puts on hat made of tinfoil*

But really, although I've not heard the album (NIN aren't really my sort of thing), how can it be 'questionable' if its an app for the band. :S

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
I just sent Apple feedback regarding the iPhone. I did manage to avoid telling them to fuck off. I did tell them I didn't need my telephone playing nanny in regards to what I have on my phone.

Best Trent Reznor line ever while being interviewed (for those who don't remember/didn't know Kennedy was an MTV VJ/reporter who was a raging *****)

Kennedy: What's your worst nightmare?
Reznor: Being married to you.

I was on the floor laughing for the longest time. Yog Sothoth was dancing around the room singing "Trent Reznor is god!"

mulder71

Apr 17, 2009
Reznor has adjusted what song it goes to and now the update to the app should go through

Zelist

Jan 12, 2009
nine inch nails and janes addiction are currently doing a tour called nin|ja, nin has done music for quake 2(multipule songs) and 4(ending theme called Just Like You Imagined), he was also suppose to do some work on doom3 for music but something had delayed it all and never went though, trent being an independent label, i wouldn't be suprised if he came up with a version of his app that works on almost any phone he also isn't a big fan of being jerked around by corperations.......you should ask him his views on pirating

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Kpt._Rob said:
The Shade said:
He did the music for Quake?

0_<
Yeah, you'd be surprised who they get to do game music. I know that the original singer from Adema did the music for Doom 3, and I'd bet it actually happens like that for a lot of games.
Yeah, and Utah Saints did the music for Mortal Kombat and Carmageddon :p

Beetlejooce

Dec 26, 2008
If i had an iPhone (which i don't) i would download this app (even though i can't anymore) because Nine inch Nails is great (which they are)