Arachnophobia

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
WWmelb said:
Spider-SNIP
I don't reckon it's about spiders actually being dangerous; phobias are defined as an 'irrational' fear, as such that actual danger and fear are a little disconnected.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
PieBrotherTB said:
WWmelb said:
Spider-SNIP
I don't reckon it's about spiders actually being dangerous; phobias are defined as an 'irrational' fear, as such that actual danger and fear are a little disconnected.
I agree in actual cases of Arachnophobia , but i also think most people's fear of spiders is only a fear, and not actually a phobia.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
I saw an albino spider today. It was big, and just as scary as a brown one.

Rawne1980 said:
I don't mind spiders in a game.

I do cringe a bit when I see real ones or realistic ones on TV/film.

I despise them in real life.

It's a relatively recent thing as well. To cut a long story short, out on ops when I was in the army (I was 23 at the time) and we had 45 minutes to kill. I decided to take a nap in the shade under the 4 tonner that was transporting us.

Woke up from a thud on my chest, looked down and very nearly emptied my bowels in terror.

Fucking Camel Spider staring right fucking at me.

Ugliest bastard thing i've ever seen.

Haven't liked Spiders since.
Where did this happen?

I'd like to know so I know which pages to tear out from all the atlases I own, just so I never visit the place.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I am more afraid of dragonflies and locusts that spiders, but I am not fond of them either.
Whenever I see televisions shows with close ups on spiders and insects, i get chills.

I guess to me they are like butterflies. HTey look nice as designs and symbols, but I dont want to see too much detail.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
I'm not scared of spiders IRL or in games, although if I had to say which is scarier I'd go for the ones in games, because at least those things can actually kill you, unlike the cute, little guys we have here in Britain.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Koshok said:
to me it seems a bit odd to remove such a large part of the atmosphere.
I find it odd that you find it odd that someone would do that, especially as you're fully aware of arachnophobia. In this world where literally anything and everything gets modded in and out of games for whatever reason (and sometimes for none at all), surely removing spiders makes a hell of a lot more sense than most mods out there?

TNightmare

Mar 2, 2011
I personally dont mind em in games at all, and not too much in IRL either... I live in Holland, and I think there's no dangerous spider out here in the wild (or in our home's)

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
funny story behind my arachnophobia
originally i wasn't scared of spiders and there is even a picture of me with a giant taratula on my head as a kid but one day i was playing knock and run (ding-dong ditch) and in the process of running away ran into a spiderweb literally the size of a building, in my panic i ran screaming into another 10 or 20 and developed an unnatural fear of spiderwebs

it wasn't until recently i lost my fear of spiderwebs and replaced it with a fear of spiders. seriously there is nothing better to make you rethink your priorities than being up a tree with a chainsaw in one hand and a ladder in the other and then realizing a funnelweb has decided to join you.... on your face

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Where did this happen?

I'd like to know so I know which pages to tear out from all the atlases I own, just so I never visit the place.
It was in the Riyadh Province in Saudi Arabia.

But you will find them near enough anywhere there is desert.

Apparently they also live in Southwest USA and Mexico.

A lot of the stories told about them are myths that started in the first Gulf war. They don't eat faces while you sleep, they can't outrun you and they aren't the size of a dog.

One thing they are though is ugly as sin and that's enough for me.

They do have a nasty as hell bite though they don't have poison.

Luckily, the Camel Spider that landed on me thought I was just as ugly as he was and ran away.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
Spiders are just evil. Pure and simple. There is no reason for a creature to look and move like they do.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
I kill spiders on sight, be it in a game or in real life. Back in high school, there was an evening when my bedroom was quite literally invaded by spiders. By that I mean I killed 17 of the little fuckers in a 45 minute time-span. Each time I'd look around, there'd be another one...then another...then another. My room was almost literally crawling with spiders. I've been at war with them ever since.

Oh, and there's nothing more satisfying in Skyrim than managing to sneak up on a spider and kill it with backstab damage. "WHO'S THE SNEAKY CREEPER NOW?!"

Edit:

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
I have arachnaphobia very strongly, to the point where I do just huddle and cry and shake badly when I see one in my room at a time where I can't get help. It takes me a while to get out of that state and into the state of getting it out of my room. But I don't mind spiders in games all that much. It's just on the rare occasion that spiders in games or TV or films make me cringe. A couple of occasions in Dragon Age Origins made me cringe and made me wish they weren't there, but that's only because the spider pins you down and attacks you and blergh I did not like it. Also just a couple of times in Skyrim made me cringe.

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
I'm Australian. I can't afford to be arachnophobic.

Rats and mice on the other hand, I do have a bit of a phobia over. You ever had nightmares about being swarmed by the little fucks?

Emilox The Great

May 26, 2010
Spiders in Games arent too much of a problem most of the time if they are big fat tarantula-like ones.
But if they are thinner and more ... well i dont know how to put it, creepier? Twitchy? Lanky?
I also find black spiders to be infinitely more scary, no its not a racism thing, i just think they look more like creepy shadow things.

For example the spiders of Skyrim dont really bother me much i think they look more mantis-like than spider-like due to the fact that they are so big, so i dont see the spider-like features.

Hmm i cant seem to think of an example of the scarier type of spider, maybe the spiders from the LOTR movies/games they really freak me out.

IRL i simply cannot rest if i know a spider or spider-like bug is in my immediate vicinity.

I live in Denmark where no animals are dangerous (well some of them are if you are allergic, but i dont think that counts.) yet i still fear them, no matter how much i tell myself how silly it is.

Eee-yup i haz de arachnophobz

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I concur with Rose and Thorn, or Rose, or Thorn, whichever one had control at the time. Spiders aren't so bad, besides the ones that can kill you in minutes with just one bite, and I kindof wish more games would include their ability to crawl on walls and ceilings, not just drop down and then behave like any other monster to be killed. Besides, watching them scurry across the room is oddly entertaining.

That said, in DA:O, Morrigan's combat efficiency seems to drop considerably in spider form.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I'm terrified of the fuckers. If I see a spider in my house I wont be able to sleep properly until I've killed it. I hate them being near me but I'll do whatever it takes to kill them. It's almost become hereditary now, since my grandad became scared of spiders after encountering camel spiders in the African campaign of the war. He then told my dad and, later, me about them, about how they would regularly find them crawling over their friends as they slept, and the rest is history.

My last bad experience with a spider was the night before a big interview when a huge spider disappeared underneath my bed as I was about to go to sleep. I couldn't find it in the end so I had to sleep downstairs.

As for spiders in media: they don't bother me that much, but I will still go out of my way to kill them if I see them.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
I find them to be tired actually. 'giant spiders' tend to be in to many games so i generally dislike them for the same reason i dislike Elves and Dwarves, over use.

that said i will farm the fuck out of one if its worth while