Arcanum: Let's Try Again Please!

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Spiritmaster said:
I started to walk through a forested area and kept walking and walking and walking, and it never seemed to end. There was nothing to fight, nothing interesting to explore, just an endless forest/plain.
Yes, this is actually working as intended. Once you leave the area map, you can open the world map menu and use the fast travel option. The area map itself isn't that big and once you go past it, you get to the endless plain thing you mentioned. I think there may be some random wildlife or something to be encountered but really, it's not much of anything interesting there.

Spiritmaster

Dec 4, 2012
DoPo said:
Spiritmaster said:
I started to walk through a forested area and kept walking and walking and walking, and it never seemed to end. There was nothing to fight, nothing interesting to explore, just an endless forest/plain.
Yes, this is actually working as intended. Once you leave the area map, you can open the world map menu and use the fast travel option. The area map itself isn't that big and once you go past it, you get to the endless plain thing you mentioned. I think there may be some random wildlife or something to be encountered but really, it's not much of anything interesting there.
Ah, gotcha. How silly of me. I'll have to give it another shot I guess.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Spiritmaster said:
DoPo said:
Spiritmaster said:
Ah, gotcha. How silly of me. I'll have to give it another shot I guess.
Yeah - the user friendliness of the UI is...not top priority, so to say. To be honest, I got stuck the same way you did when I first played it, so that's how I know it so well :p

LookingGlass

Jul 6, 2011
My favourite of the old isometric-era RPGs I'd say, just above Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate 2. I think I'll have to start it up again next time I have some time off work.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Arcanum was the first ever game I played on my first personal computer. Like 11years ago.

It was bog standard Hewlett Packard from a store which my parents gave me for my birthday. But it was special because it was my computer, not the "family computer". I'd played AOE and Fallout on the old family machine before this.

But Arcanum was special, I loved that game, I played so many different characters and put so many hours into it. Never finished it to my eternal shame, came close (the Mage city) but it was getting hard and I lost interest (I was like 13-4).

I have a copy somewhere that I bought in the hopes of finishing it again, but I've never found the time and I'm honestly a little scared it won't be as good (which is ridiculous as I recently re-finished Fallout 1 and 2).

GiantRaven said:
A modernised reboot of Arcanum would be an absolute dream to me. Give it to Obsidian and make it like New Vegas. Fuck yes.
I've always thought a great thing about a FPS style reboot would be the different race heights. As a dwarf or halfing everyone would be much taller. As an half-ogre you'd have to crouch to get through some doorways. It'd add to the immersion.