Archaeologists Uncover Gate to Underworld

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Mithcha said:
They must've done more than simply hold their breath surely. Stood in a particular spot, carried some sort of bag, did a voodoo dance, something.
This is an example of a mazuku, a place where CO2 emissions from magma accumulate in low-lying areas. The name comes from East Africa, where there are many mazuku filled with the bones of animals who died in them, as well as those of the scavengers who went in after first victims.

Mammoth Mountain in California also does this. There's a place called Horseshoe Lake there, and it looks and feels like Mordor annexed it recently. All the trees are dead and there is next to no animal life because of the CO2. People have nearly died there because of it.

Lake Nyos, also in Africa, is a lake that occupied a mazuku, and occasionally releases massive amounts of CO2 all at once like a bursting can of soda. One of these eruptions was large enough that the CO2 flowed downhill and displaced the oxygen in a village, killing most of the people there without them realizing what was happening.

thehorror2

Jan 25, 2010
Carbon Dioxide? Are we sure they didn't say "dioxide" while meaning "monoxide"? Because this is what that sounds like. Also, CO2 can't kill trees, they breathe it.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
thehorror2 said:
Carbon Dioxide? Are we sure they didn't say "dioxide" while meaning "monoxide"? Because this is what that sounds like. Also, CO2 can't kill trees, they breathe it.
They breathe-in oxygen actually when there is little to no light. CO2 is only consumed and converted into oxygen in photosynthesis. That said, the process itself isn't 100% productive.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Okay, guys? If you find a big door shouting "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL DOOMSDAY!", do me a big favor and LEAVE IT ALONE!

Just saying.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
So, have we awakened yet another volcano now?

At least we got mroe palces than africa where CO2 is being emitted and can easily show you how crappy our evolution is for not allowing us to detect it (we detect lack of oxygen, but not CO2, therefore if you have enough oxygen but too much CO2 you will still die, without even understanding why. youll just fall asleep, coma, death)

Cookiegerard

Aug 27, 2009
Oh god, this reminds me of a comic book series so much, but I can't think of the name of it. I only read the first issue but it is something like, people find the door to hell, open it by mistake, deamons pour out, they send in a strike force of American soldiers to try and close it, they fail, and the issue ends with them letting some guy out of prison so he can try something. But the thing I remember about it most is a double panel where it shows hundreds of flying deamons circling Big Ben. Please, I need someone to help me figure out what this comic is called.

Mithcha

Oct 21, 2011
McMullen said:
Mithcha said:
They must've done more than simply hold their breath surely. Stood in a particular spot, carried some sort of bag, did a voodoo dance, something.
This is an example of a mazuku, a place where CO2 emissions from magma accumulate in low-lying areas. The name comes from East Africa, where there are many mazuku filled with the bones of animals who died in them, as well as those of the scavengers who went in after first victims.

Mammoth Mountain in California also does this. There's a place called Horseshoe Lake there, and it looks and feels like Mordor annexed it recently. All the trees are dead and there is next to no animal life because of the CO2. People have nearly died there because of it.

Lake Nyos, also in Africa, is a lake that occupied a mazuku, and occasionally releases massive amounts of CO2 all at once like a bursting can of soda. One of these eruptions was large enough that the CO2 flowed downhill and displaced the oxygen in a village, killing most of the people there without them realizing what was happening.
So, as well as holding their breath for three minutes as The Gentlemen said, they could've stood on a relatively high spot and been 'safe' so to speak? Sort of assuming the density of the Co2 wouldn't persist throughout the entire cave if it only forms in low-lying spots.

And how can gas flow? Or isn't it a gas when it comes out one of these mazuku?

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Mithcha said:
McMullen said:
Mithcha said:

So, as well as holding their breath for three minutes as The Gentlemen said, they could've stood on a relatively high spot and been 'safe' so to speak? Sort of assuming the density of the Co2 wouldn't persist throughout the entire cave if it only forms in low-lying spots.

All gasses can flow, dude. You never heard of jetstreams? Or air-currents? Gas flows from areas of higher pressure to areas of lower pressure, and if it's dense enough, settles like liquid would. I'm sure you've seen fog, steam, smoke... What did you think all that moving they do was? Go evaporate some dry-ice, see for yourself how gas can flow. This stuff is like, 6th grade science lesson.

Not Matt

Nov 3, 2011
mohahahaha! soon my satanic army will rise and i shall take this eart......oh. it's just a pool.

this is actually really cool. i didn't know old timely temples did have deadly boobietraps. now indiana jones makes way more sense. and it was a really cool system as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

geekend update is really starting to grow on me. the stream of ridiculous awesometivity is quite amusing

Mithcha

Oct 21, 2011
Aethren said:
Mithcha said:
McMullen said:
Mithcha said:

All gasses can flow, dude. You never heard of jetstreams? Or air-currents? Gas flows from areas of higher pressure to areas of lower pressure, and if it's dense enough, settles like liquid would. I'm sure you've seen fog, steam, smoke... What did you think all that moving they do was? Go evaporate some dry-ice, see for yourself how gas can flow. This stuff is like, 6th grade science lesson.
Meh, been years since I did any form of science and my science teachers were so shit I switched off, tend to do that when the lessons pretty much consist of "look at the shiny". Thought they were just moving, floating. I've never heard it be called "flowing" before. Flowing, to me, describes the action of a liquid, like a river flows. Even looking it up in the dictionary it never refers to gas. But ok, gas flows now.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
The_Great_Galendo said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
You know, I always knew that the ancient Greeks had an idea of Hades being a physical place, and even that they had a vague idea of the direction. I didn't realize there was an actual cave that they could point to and go "see this? This is where Odysseus entered the underworld and talked to the dead."
Yeah, me neither. I mean, presumably no Greek ever journeyed to where Atlas held up the sky, for instance, despite that being a physical place in their mythology. But this actually is a physical place, and the conclusion that it's the entrance to the underworld is pretty darn reasonable, under the circumstances. Plus, once you can literally travel and see the "entrance to the underworld", it becomes a lot easier to imagine that you could in fact go hold a chat with Atlas if only you traveled far enough.
There were many gates to the underworld in classical times. I believe the romans had an entry near Lake Averno. I believe that's where Aeneas descended to Hades, but that's a Roman story by Vergilius.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Aethren said:
One of the classic kitchen science experiments is to take a jug of CO2 (usually created by mixing baking soda with vinegar) and pour it over a candle to put it out. It's awesome because you are literally pouring an invisible fluid over the candle. (in physics, the word 'fluid' refers to either a liquid or a gas - possibly a plasma too, not sure)

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
VoidWanderer said:
Eric the Orange said:
Huh, I'll be interested in what they find when they send a team down in haz-mat suits.
Hopefully EA's dignity?
Well...now you're just making an assumption here. I mean...did EA HAVE any dignity to begin with?

FalloutJack said:
Okay, guys? If you find a big door shouting "DO NOT OPEN UNTIL DOOMSDAY!", do me a big favor and LEAVE IT ALONE!

Just saying.
You sir get bonus points for remembering that episode of The Real Ghostbusters.

Jan 27, 2011
fletch_talon said:
I like when stuff like this is found. It revives a little bit of the world's mystery and fantasy. I'm well aware that there'll be some volcanic vent underneath there and not a river of souls, three headed hound, spooky ferryman or captive godess, but its fun to imagine.
I agree. :) It's always fun when we find a mythical site and we get an understanding of WHY people thought it was so special.

Although this site is CREEPY AS HELL. 0_0 I wonder how many people tried to go in in order to save a dead loved one from Hades, and never came back...

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Cookiegerard said:
Oh god, this reminds me of a comic book series so much, but I can't think of the name of it. I only read the first issue but it is something like, people find the door to hell, open it by mistake, deamons pour out, they send in a strike force of American soldiers to try and close it, they fail, and the issue ends with them letting some guy out of prison so he can try something. But the thing I remember about it most is a double panel where it shows hundreds of flying deamons circling Big Ben. Please, I need someone to help me figure out what this comic is called.
Gears of War? Sounds exactly like the very first GOW game...

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
They found the door to my secret lair!?!

Quick boys to plan B!

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
*wears Pit's clothes from Kid Icarus Uprising, and activates the Power of Flight, diving straight into the hole* Your days are numbered, MEDUSAAAAAA!!!!!

OT and being more serious: Wow o.o I can't wait to see if there's a legit Underworld or at least something interesting down there. This is kinda exciting~