Archives of the World's Oldest Science Journal Now Available For Free

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Archives of the World's Oldest Science Journal Now Available For Free

Great discoveries rest alongside thoughts on moon-people in this free Royal Society archive of almost 350 years of scientific advancement.

First published in 1665, Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society holds within its archives many of the greatest scientific discoveries made in the last few centuries. Now, thanks to a digital publishing initiative at the Royal Society [http://royalsociety.org/] (the world's oldest scientific academy), we can all access that massive archive - for free.

Available here [http://royalsocietypublishing.org/search], this huge, fully-searchable database contains over 60,000 scholarly articles dating from 1665 to the present day. You can read Newton's initial work on the spectrum of light, for instance, or read some of Charles Darwin's early work in geology. Benjamin Franklin's notes on not being electrified while flying a kite in a thunderstorm are there too.

Of course, the archive isn't just about the more famous discoveries. Hiding in each issue, especially the earlier ones, are some delightfully esoteric papers. In 1665, for instance, the journal published French astronomer Adrien Auzout's thoughts on moon-people. "Methinks, that the Earth would to the people of the Moon appear to have a different face in the several seasons of the year," he wrote.

It's strange to think of what the world would look like today without many of the discoveries detailed in the archive. I could waste time here talking about how great this news is for the free spread of knowledge, but it really doesn't need said; this thing is a primary source goldmine that doesn't discriminate.

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15445507]

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Hevva said:
It's strange to think of what the world would look like today without many of the discoveries detailed in the archive. I could waste time here talking about how great this news is for the free spread of knowledge, but it really doesn't need said; this thing is a primary source goldmine that doesn't discriminate.
I think that some of the earlier works might prove quite difficult to read. Still, this is great. I've always HEARD about these old scientific papers and treatises but now I can see them for myself. And the esoteric entries are sure to be amusing. Could prove an entertaining way to spend the afternoon when I get tired of looking at pictures of kittens such as the one provided below:

Ah who am I kidding. I'll never get tired of kittens.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
before i'll take this work seriously, and since the author of the article is quick to be SO dismissive, show me the article contained within proving there AREN'T Moon People. Either show me proof there isn't, or accept the scientific ponderings proposed, you can't have it both ways.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Finally I can read about planetary epicycles as proposed by the geocentric model from the comfort of my own home!

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Timely, for this to come out just after I finished reading the Barouque Cycle.. Many of the early authors and experiments in this collection were characters or events in the book.

It's like fanfiction, but not by fans and not fiction. Strange...

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I think I'm going to wow my paleontology prof. with some old school shit from the archives :D

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Awesome

I've been on an electrical engineer kick as of late. I don't know why. Hopefully I can find some info in the archives about it.

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
I bookmarked as well! Something scientific to read at work besides Procedure PDF that bore the fuck out of your mind! My god I am glad I am reducing all my expenses, and Saving/investing enought to get out of the boring fake world of engineering! Then spending 12 hours a week creating video games, 12 hours exercising, and 12 hours wondering thru the digital and real libraries/college campuses for the rest of my life!

ViciousTide

Aug 5, 2011
Ha! "An observation of the term: Slowblows made by an Oxford Sorority House" 1867.

Blue Mountain State is a great show, worth watching on Netflix for all us nerds who study in college to hard in the science and engineering fields when we rather be partying and playing football but know it's not worth dying for or getting our spines ripped out for a few million bucks long term.