Archon Remake Coming to the PC

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Archon Remake Coming to the PC

Archon [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archon_(computer_game)], the mid-80s strategy classic for the Commodore 64, is being revamped for the PC and is expected to come out in time for the holidays.

Formally known as Archon: The Light and the Dark, the game was originally released in 1984 for the Commodore 64, Atari 8-bit series, Apple II and several other platforms. The combination of chess-style strategy and real-time combat between the mythological game pieces made Archon an instant hit and one of the most highly-regarded games of its era. Now, a quarter-century later, it's being remade for the PC, with new game modes, support for up to four players and numerous other "surprises."

"In bringing Archon to the PC we've really focused on maintaining the classic feel of the original game," said Brad Moss, lead designer at React Games [http://www.reactgames.com/], the studio behind the remake. "That said, there were aspects of the title that needed updating for the modern audience. For example, the addition of 4 players was never in the original, but it adds so much fun it feels like it always belonged there."

Along with the four-way "teams" and "versus" multiplayer game modes, the updated Archon will include a series of new gameboard layouts, character leveling and power-ups, enhanced AI and, as a tip of the hat to fans of the original, the option to choose either classic 8-bit images or all-new, high-resolution artwork. The game will also feature online leaderboards, achievements and both online and local multiplayer options.

The PC remake isn't actually React's first crack at Archon; the studio released an iPhone version of the game in June which quickly became one of the App Store's 20 best-selling games worldwide. A new single-player version, Archon: Conquest, has also been submitted to the App Store and is expected to be available soon.

Pre-sales for the new Archon PC will begin on October 15 at archonclassic.com [http://www.archonclassic.com].

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I played that game on NES when I was younger. Loved it to death. Was a totaly original cocept then and still is now.

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
I totally hope they don't bomb on this. I want this to succeed.

I will play the hell out it.

FistsOfTinsel

Jun 23, 2008
I played this on the Apple II, and I realize this is a beloved title, but it's really a pretty lousy game. It claimed to be a combination of strategy & arcade skill, but in reality, arcade skill trumped strategy. Maybe it was different when played head-to-head using a joypad, but playing against the computer opponent was stupidly easy. I could easily win the game by attacking only with the pawns, which more were than sufficient to defeat the computer-controlled opponents. Even supposed "pawn killers" like the phoenix were easy to kill. Other pieces, like the banshee, if I recall, were pretty worthless.

I think the concept can be salvaged, though - they just need to work on the controls and game balance. Yes, there should be a slim chance that a pawn can defeat a dragon, but only if the dragon has already been whittled down to a sliver of health, and you're playing on a square favorable to the pawn.

Dmatix

Feb 3, 2009
Never heard of it, looks cool though. Thanks for putting it on my radar.

capt.fodder

Sep 6, 2009
The C64/Apple II really weren't powerhouses that could run massive battle AI, so you really can't hold that against it. Playing with two people was where it was at, and my friends and I played the hell out of that game on the C64.

I would much rather have this for my PSP than my PC though - it would be a nice little title to play on the run or over the ad-hoc network if you're sitting at the mall/ coffee shop/wherever.

Feb 13, 2008
Awesome! I still have Archon 1-3 on tape somewhere.

It seems to me that all the really great C64 games are now coming to the mobile. Can't wait for Paradroid.

Edit: ZOMG! It already exists!!!!!

Mar 26, 2008
Archon is the sh1t! Archon 2 was even better. My brother and I used to challenge each other at it all the time. Having two wizards square off and try and bend homing fireballs at each other from behind barriers was heaps of fun.

I played Paradroid 90 on the Amiga not so long ago and it's kind of lost its appeal to me. I used to love it.