Are any of you immigrants?

Juste Goose

Aug 1, 2013
Just curious. I mean besides the "all Americans are immigrants" thing. Any of you permanently move to a country different from the one you were born in? I've never been a huge patriot, and I've thought about moving elsewhere. Those of you who've done this (or thought about it but decided not to,) what was your experience? Are you happy with your decision? What was the hardest thing you faced?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I probably will be once I finish my postgrad next year.
Our economy is bollox so until that gets better there's nothing for me here, financially.

My degree will be recognised in all English speaking countries so I have some choice but, right now, the UK or Canada seem like the most viable options.

I was always planning to live abroad for a time anyway but the whole economic collapse thing means that I definitely don't have a choice now.
Right now, I have friends in Australia, the UK, and Canada, mostly Australia though.

I think that travelling is always a good thing, even if you love your own country, and that everyone should try to move around, even if it's just temporary. You can always go back.

Then again, I'm Irish so immigration is built into our history. :D

bluemistake2

Sep 25, 2008
Dutchfag living in AUS reporting in!

But seriously, if you're moving to another country where the language is different, learn to speak it before you move there, otherwise life becomes very difficult.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Yup. I immigrated to New Zealand from South Korea at the age of two. Can't say I have a strong opinion on the move having been only a toddler :p. Having said that, I am very grateful for being raised up in a multicultural society and honestly if I had stayed in Seoul I probably wouldn't be here posting right now.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
No, I've lived in Sweden all my life.
I almost consider moving to Iceland for work though. Heard they need more men there. >:D

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Yup, I'm an immigrant, moved from Russia to the good old US of A.

I'm pretty happy with the move, because Russia is kind of a shit-hole. Mind you, I didn't have much input about moving since I was young when it happened and it was my parents' decision, but having said that, I really like my adopted country.

I'd say the best thing about moving to the US is the fact that it opens you up to a lot more different cultures than any other country in the world, what with it being the country of immigrants (and since I live in a pretty big tourist destination). I've been to a lot of different countries, but the place I live is still the most culturally heterogeneous place I've ever found.

I think the hardest thing for me is the fact that I can't really go back to Russia now. There were some legal...difficulties...since my family left right before the collapse of the Soviet Union, and lets just say that if I ever went back there's a good chance I'd either be tossed into the army or in prison (most likely prison, and no one wants to go to prison in Russia). So because of that there's a lot of extended family that I haven't seen in years, since they can't get the Russian government to issue them travel visas, and I can't go back to Russia to visit. All in all though, I think that living in the US is worth never going back to Russia again (like I said, it's kind of a shit-hole).

purf

Nov 29, 2010
From Germany, have been living in the north of Denmark for 4 years now.
Can't say that I'm a fan. Scandinavian countries have this Law of Jante going on which I do think shapes society. It's sometimes like living among the Borg, mediocre Borg. And damn you if you don't let yourself get assimilated.

Also, spacial awareness, Danes. Get some.

Good stuff? It's friendly around here and the weather is more articulated than where I come from. The sea is close.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Oie Justes said:
Soon to be immigrant to the US from the UK because I met an American girl. We will be there for a few years, with the intention to permanently settle in the UK after that. Going through the process at the minute. Convoluted and difficult doesn't even begin to describe it. Don't regret it though, I'm marrying a wonderful woman.

Jul 31, 2013
Yes, I am. Immigrated from Uzbekistan (it's kind of like Kazachstan, but with less Borat and more dictators) to Belgium (well, what's to say about that.... waffles, I guess?)
Didn't have much choice in it, seeing as how I was 3 at the time. I'm kinda from a family of immigrants. Great-grandparents moved from Russia to Ukraine, then my grandparents moved from Ukraine to Uzbekistan and then back to Russia. I've also got some family living in Australia, Germany and Canada. So I'm a Russian, born in Uzbekistan while growing up in Belgium. Multiculturality 'n shit....

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
Yep. Emigrated to Australia when I was 22. One of the best decisions of my life. It's a bit tough getting away from friends/family particularly at the start. The first few months I couldn't find work and it has hard. Stuck it out and have never looked back.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Colour Scientist said:
I probably will be once I finish my postgrad next year.
Our economy is bollox so until that gets better there's nothing for me here, financially.

My degree will be recognised in all English speaking countries so I have some choice but, right now, the UK or Canada seem like the most viable options.

I was always planning to live abroad for a time anyway but the whole economic collapse thing means that I definitely don't have a choice now.
Right now, I have friends in Australia, the UK, and Canada, mostly Australia though.

I think that travelling is always a good thing, even if you love your own country, and that everyone should try to move around, even if it's just temporary. You can always go back.

Then again, I'm Irish so immigration is built into our history. :D
The biggest difference you'd find between Ireland and the UK is that thge people are an ever so slightly different kind of moron. But mostly it's similar. Particularly Scotland.

OT: No but I plan to at some point!

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
I'm from the Middle East and moved to New Zealand. Good things and bad things about the move but it's great overall.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Dirty Hipsters said:
I think the hardest thing for me is the fact that I can't really go back to Russia now. There were some legal...difficulties...since my family left right before the collapse of the Soviet Union, and lets just say that if I ever went back there's a good chance I'd either be tossed into the army or in prison (most likely prison, and no one wants to go to prison in Russia). So because of that there's a lot of extended family that I haven't seen in years, since they can't get the Russian government to issue them travel visas, and I can't go back to Russia to visit. All in all though, I think that living in the US is worth never going back to Russia again (like I said, it's kind of a shit-hole).
I never knew it was the Russian govt's job to issue American visas. Always thought it was done by the US embassy. Also, don't see why you'd be tossed in prison if you return; emigration is not a crime in modern Russia. The army might be interested in you if you are under 27 years old, but that concerns only Russian citizens. Aren't you a citizen of the good old freedom lovin' United States by now? And if not, wouldn't you be a citizen of the country that doesn't exist anymoe since you say you emigrated right before the USSR collapse?

I guess what I'm saying is you shoud be fine going back to visit your relatives, nobody's going to put you or your family in prison, unless you committed some act of treason or anything.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
I migrated to Australia from Japan at 4.
I dont have much to say because it wasnt my choice.
I moved back to japan 10 years later, again, it was not my choice.

Growing up overseas was tough, but it mae me more unique and open minded and sensitive to minorities than I would have if I had just grown up in Japan.
So no regrets.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
I moved from scotland to england. Its hardly an immigration because its the same country. All the separatists reading this will hate me for saying that

Anyway i plan to move to saudi arabia or UAE with work because you can earn a lot of money tax free with all expenses paid £££££££ even then its not immigration but just a long term secondment

keniakittykat

Aug 9, 2012
Moved from Belgium to the Netherlands a few months ago, for love!
Me and my boyfriend had been together for 6 years, and we found it high time to move in together ^^

(Lots of people I know jokingly say I'm a deserter to my city of Antwerp, lol)

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Fulbert said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
I never knew it was the Russian govt's job to issue American visas. Always thought it was done by the US embassy. Also, don't see why you'd be tossed in prison if you return; emigration is not a crime in modern Russia. The army might be interested in you if you are under 27 years old, but that concerns only Russian citizens. Aren't you a citizen of the good old freedom lovin' United States by now? And if not, wouldn't you be a citizen of the country that doesn't exist anymoe since you say you emigrated right before the USSR collapse?

I guess what I'm saying is you shoud be fine going back to visit your relatives, nobody's going to put you or your family in prison, unless you committed some act of treason or anything.
The Russian government doesn't issue American visas, it issues Russian ones. It's illegal however for a Russian person to travel outside of the country without first getting authorization from the government beforehand, and getting a travel visa issued to them by the Russian government which states that they are ok to leave the country. Essentially the person trying to travel has to convince the government that they have a good reason to need to travel.

As far as why I can't go back, it's kind of a complicated issue involving some really dumb paperwork. You see, right before the fall of the Soviet Union the government wasn't exactly great at staying on top of their paperwork, and long story short, I'm still technically considered a Russian citizen because of certain legal stupidities. Now the legal trouble starts with the fact that I'm over 18, never served in the army, and have never paid taxes, even though I'm technically still a citizen and am supposed to do those things, regardless of the fact that I'm an American citizen and don't want my Russian citizenship. So to clear this up I would have to travel to Russia, which there's no way in hell I'm doing since I might be arrested the moment I set foot there.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
Technically, I moved from England to Scotland. Both pretty shit but they could be shitter I suppose.

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I'm a Canadian living in the UK. I'm not quite sure if that counts considering Canada is still part of the commonwealth.

T3hSource

Mar 5, 2012
I'm planning to get out of Bulgaria, like the rest of the post-80s generations here.

I don't plan on staying this excuse for a shit-hole run down by parasites in suits.