Are Explosions Art? Check Out The Just Cause 3 Trailer

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Xsjadoblayde said:
Is it just me or does this teaser make Rico look psychotic or incredibly damaged?
Nah, it's just that after 10 years of toppling regimes it gets old, you know. He's just thinking to himself "It's all the same... All these islands. It's always the same. I need some change in my life."

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Pinkamena said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Is it just me or does this teaser make Rico look psychotic or incredibly damaged?
Nah, it's just that after 10 years of toppling regimes it gets old, you know. He's just thinking to himself "It's all the same... All these islands. It's always the same. I need some change in my life."
"I need a family. A loving family. Some pets maybe.

...Two cats. One dog...

...Some gerbils...

...A yard full of chickens and ducks...

...Fire. NO!! No fire this time, Rico! Control. Breathe.

...A humble field of barley...

...Even a fishing boat...

...50.cal mounted ice-cream van. Garghhhhhhh!! Who am i kidding? Im a terrible monster!!"

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Abomination said:
Oh man, so hype. Great cover and I hope they can keep a similar formula + space time & wizard grappling gun mechanics.
Agree. The Just Cause series isn't perfect, but the mechanics are just plain fucking fun. Seriously, if anyone ever hates JC, I always think to myself "This person has no fun in their body."

To this day I'm still shocked that the only reason I found out about these games is that I bought them as part of a publishers pack on Steam. I remember installing JC2 and after 5 minutes going, "WTF is this... HOLY SHIT AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" and I was hooked.

I swear I don't think they've ever gotten the recognition that they deserve. Maybe this one will be the breakout game for this series like Vice City was for GTA.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
If you are Rigo Rodriquez, Master of time and space, son of Zeus and a Spanish window cleaner etc. you don't need a damned goggle to see when dropping out of the sky at 220 KPH!!!

Yay for the Yahtzee references and part 3 of this series! ;-)

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Interesting. I believe you have to buy or earn a wingsuit in Far Cry 4, and that seems to come in pretty handy. In Just Cause 3 I'm sure you'll have one by default, because that's how they roll.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
flying_whimsy said:
My one real complaint is that rico looks so grumpy at the end. He's not wolverine; he can show some excitement at the prospect of reaping chaos in the place he is sky-diving towards. I'm excited for it, so why isn't he?
Because protagonists have to be 30-50 year old gruff looking men who are super serious about everything all the time.

It's kinda sad because in JC2 he had so many light hearted lines mocking whatever ridiculous situation he was in and never taking things too serious.

I want sarcastic ridiculous Rico, not solid snake with a wing suit.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
im quite hyped for the game, but if im being honest, i wouldve prefered a trailer that showed gameplay or more actual destruction rather than this artsy farsy thing, but thats just me

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
flying_whimsy said:
My one real complaint is that rico looks so grumpy at the end. He's not wolverine; he can show some excitement at the prospect of reaping chaos in the place he is sky-diving towards. I'm excited for it, so why isn't he?
Because protagonists have to be 30-50 year old gruff looking men who are super serious about everything all the time.

It's kinda sad because in JC2 he had so many light hearted lines mocking whatever ridiculous situation he was in and never taking things too serious.

Or it might be funnier to do the serious thing ironically, with Rico wearing the same bitter scowl while doing awesome stunts, at a party with strippers slapping their tits in his face, while undercover as a self help guru etc. And it wouldn't be developer laziness either, even in mo-capped cutscenes he would not show a smile or even raise an eyebrow to the absurdity around him, despite it being just as easy for the actor to smile.

I know he kinda did that in Just Cause 2, but it was mainly his default face model while awesome stuff happened. Most cutscenes were mission briefings where there wasn't anything really silly/awesome happening. I want a scene where he is at a comedy show and everyone in the audience laughs except him.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
flying_whimsy said:
*Big grin*

JUST CAUSE!

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
CardinalPiggles said:
flying_whimsy said:

yeah im not sold on the redesign either, hopefully they didnt change the personality or the accent

rico is not the deepest character around, but he has his charm, its that B-movie feel of the second game (i think im using the term correctly), is campy, is silly, but tries to play it straight unlike something like saints row

theres charm to that

but well character and story are just a side dish in just cause, the main course is the gameplay and destruction

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
We're getting a new JC and you guys are talking about the intricacies of Rico's personality? o_O

Anyway, so psyched for this but they NEED to take some ideas out of Mercenaries' book.

So... Much more access to explosive weaponry. Even if it's just a simple cheap RPG. Doesn't matter. Just SOMETHING. Make it more common.

Have shop items be CHEAPER. And airstrikes. Yes, at that point, it would be ripping off Mercenaries. But honestly? Ask me if I care.

We can't rely on Mercs anymore to deliver any of this since its studio AND publisher are now long gone. And JC, it seems, has taken it upon itself to be its spiritual successor. More than fine with me. But if we're going to do this, let's do it full steam ahead, shall we?

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Storm Dragon said:
flying_whimsy said:
*Big grin*

JUST CAUSE!
But this time he's liberating his home, so you could say he now has a
Just Cause 2!

So from what I've gathered from a preview, Rico will be able to have up to five hookshot cables out at once. Plus, you can make those cables contract with the press of a button, slingshot style.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
So... didn't Rico Rodriguez used to be hispanic? He seems to have morphed into generic-brownhaired-actiondude between 2 and 3.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
flying_whimsy said:
Maybe he's not smiling so he doesn't get bugs in his teeth. Someone needs to buy that man some goggles.
You wear your goggles over your mouth?

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
As a fan of The Prodigy and Just Cause 2 I cann't help but feel excited.

All we need is for them to officially incorporate something like the JC2 multiplayer mod into the game and... Yes... There is nothing else that is needed. (Ok, maybe more explosions would be nice.)