Are games getting worst or are our standards getting higher ?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
As time goes on I find that games are getting worst. Sure there are good games out there, but it seems like they are the dimonds in the rough. If you go to your local game store, there are walls are terrible games. Be it because of terrible game mechanics, terrible graphics, terrible story, terrible game play , terrible music , or a mix of the above or even all of the above. Is it because developpers are trying to make the most amount of money with the least amount of work ( as in not polishing a game because it will sell anyways, thus being lazy and making a bad game ) , or is it because our standards for video games have become so high , that unless there game is flawless we will consider it to be a bad game ?

InfiniteJacuzzi

Mar 13, 2011
There has always been a massive amount of shitty games, we just forget about them. In 2021, we'll be wondering what happened to the stellar lineups on the PS3 and 360.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Games are getting better and our standards are getting higher.

I'm not sure which is happening faster though.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
*worse

Yes, games are getting worse. In context, the drive towards ever-improving graphics has shifted focus away from quality game design, as long as it looks awesome. If what you have on-screen are a bunch of coloured squares, you'll make damn sure that the gameplay is captivating, else the game simply won't be played.

MarkusWolfe

Jun 21, 2010
I'm just going to say that this is a combination of Sturgeons Law (90% of everything is crap, 9% is mediocre and only 1% is good) and nostalgia (you only remember the good games, so in hindsight the past looks great).

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Games are great.

I've just been spoiled by having played BETTER games before now, which were gifts sent from God when they were released, but now they're just above above-average.

...........Conker's Bad Fur Day needs a sequel. WAR! mode with friends over? Hell yeah I'll gas them and laugh in their face well I hide in the bunker.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Games have been getting better. We just forget about the massive amount of shit that was out during the last few generations.
It is the same with music; everyone remembers Led Zeppelin, but nobody remembers the 60's Led Zeppelin knockoffs with tons of shit music, because we want to forget about all of the shit.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Halceon said:
*worse

Yes, games are getting worse. In context, the drive towards ever-improving graphics has shifted focus away from quality game design, as long as it looks awesome. If what you have on-screen are a bunch of coloured squares, you'll make damn sure that the gameplay is captivating, else the game simply won't be played.
I agree completely. It's all style no substance.

VaderMan92

Sep 9, 2010
definitely getting worse, that might be becuase that more games are being made so the sheer volume of garbage might just be making it seem like games are getting worse.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Halceon said:
*worse

Once the option for a 3D game world was available, companies were using a 3D world as a large selling point. Graphics have always been a big selling point for games, because saying "Look, our graphics are better than theirs" is a way to gain more sales.
It is just more noticeable now because of the gigantic leaps we have taken graphically in the last few years.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
We have become pretentious little bastards who cannot abide by a mediocre game which would have been groundbreaking 3 years earlier.

Too often we sit in our plush chairs and couches and demand that our games are all better, but really don't contribute much.

But I'm guilty of this too, and I often pass on games that don't immediately WOW me, but I've gotten better, looking at games I wouldn't have prior, such as Mount & Blade and M&B Warband, or Magicka.

But I can say that it's not entirely all our fault. Because of how expensive games have become, often gamers feel like they need a better game to justify a higher cost of purchase, and so it costs more to make AAA titles which sometimes only jade us more.

Honestly, gamers need to be more open minded and give companies the support for them to continue pushing the envelope into new territory, not castigating their attempts at something new, and becoming more CONSTRUCTIVELY critical, instead of just critical.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
InfiniteJacuzzi said:
Easton Dark said:
...........Conker's Bad Fur Day needs a sequel.
Where are you, Rare?
Making Kinect Sports.

After they were bought by Microsoft they basically died. Rareware is one of the best developers in history, Rare is a joke.

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
games overall are getting better, be it slowly, but they are, with ever improving graphics (on the PC anyway untll the next gen of consoles come out) and new technologies becoming available.

its just people will judge a whole game on a little flaw and dismiss it completely

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
Some are getting better and a lot are getting worse. If you count fans of minigames and "art" games then our standards are also getting worse.