Are games getting worst or are our standards getting higher ?

The Gnome King

Mar 27, 2011
krazykidd said:
As time goes on I find that games are getting worst. Sure there are good games out there, but it seems like they are the dimonds in the rough. If you go to your local game store, there are walls are terrible games. Be it because of terrible game mechanics, terrible graphics, terrible story, terrible game play , terrible music , or a mix of the above or even all of the above. Is it because developpers are trying to make the most amount of money with the least amount of work ( as in not polishing a game because it will sell anyways, thus being lazy and making a bad game ) , or is it because our standards for video games have become so high , that unless there game is flawless we will consider it to be a bad game ?
Sounds like a post that should be over at RPG Codex... ;)

Seriously, as somebody who has played games since the late 1980's; no, games are NOT getting worse. Dragon Age 2 is a technical and entertainment marvel compared, to, say, SSI's "Pools of Radiance" 'Gold Box' game back in the day.

Our standards are getting higher. We'll see what that leads to. (Keep in mind even as standards get higher, more and more people game and consider themselves "gamers" - which means the target audience is ever-expanding. If this leaves a few people out in the cold... well, perhaps one day we'll have "luxury games" like we now have "luxury cars" - most people drive, say, a Honda but there are those Hummers out there for people who want that... um, experience.)

;)

mik1

Dec 7, 2009
It's because like many on this thread before me have said we remember the good ones. The shit ones nobody remember because they were nothing more than shit.

The man on this website discusses most of the shitty ones. Check it out if you want a good laugh.

http://cinemassacre.com/category/avgn/

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
I know for a fact that my standards/expectations are getting higher. It's only until just recently that I realized this. It used to be that every game I played was good or even amazing. Now a days, I'm left disappointed a lot :/

KingofMadCows

Dec 6, 2010
It's neither. Game companies are simply trying to broaden the appeal of their games so fewer games are made to appeal to specific tastes. It used to be that you could find a game that suits 80% or 90% of your own personal tastes. Now games maybe only suit 50% or 60% of your tastes. Broader appeal means dilution of specialized aspects that can be tailored to specific audiences. It's like the difference between making a meal for just one person and making a meal for 20 people.