Are games too expensive?

Accountfailed

May 27, 2009
buy games? HAHAHAHA-but seriously
price is semi-affordable but it does need a drop to give people with less money access to games (like me! yar har fiddle de dee...)

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
$60 isn't unreasonable. In Australia new games cost upwards of $100, which is unreasonable. Moreso when it becomes apparent that games are released here later than the rest of the world, and that online games that require a subscription don't even have any onshore servers (looking pretty explicity at you, xbox live)...It's a fucking joke, and devs/publishers wonder why piracy runs rampant....

Evil Tim

Apr 18, 2009
Dys said:
$60 isn't unreasonable. In Australia new games cost upwards of $100, which isunreasonable. Moreso when it becomes apparent that games are released here later than the rest of the world
That's partly because in many cases they have to hack all the fun stuff out, since Australia is the only developed democracy in the world to rule that products designed for adults should be refused sale on the basis of their unsuitability for children.

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
Evil Tim said:
Dys said:
$60 isn't unreasonable. In Australia new games cost upwards of $100, which isunreasonable. Moreso when it becomes apparent that games are released here later than the rest of the world
That's partly because in many cases they have to hack all the fun stuff out, since Australia is the only developed democracy in the world to rule that products designed for adults should be refused sale on the basis of their unsuitability for children.
Not really the case with high profile games, in fact, our obsurd censorship gets overlooked as soon as money changes hands. I don't think GTA4 (PC) was forced to make any changes. It's pretty much a case of politicians half assedly "saving the children" so the majority votes to keep them in.

At any rate, $60US is, on a day when the economy is down, like $80AU. It bothers me that they just pull up to a $40 surcharge out of their ass because there's a body of water between us and America.

Evil Tim

Apr 18, 2009
Dys said:
At any rate, $60US is, on a day when the economy is down, like $80AU. It bothers me that they just pull up to a $40 surcharge out of their ass because there's a body of water between us and America.
Well, even in the SNES era UK pricing was handled by changing a dollar sign to a pound sign [back when it was ~2 dollars to the pound]. I think they're scared of ripping off Americans because they're armed, but more scared of shipping anything to Australia because everything that isn't poisonous is venomous.

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
chrisdibs said:
what does annoy me is that modern warfare 2 will cost extra just because they know most people will be so desperate for it they'll buy it anyway, that's just unethical
Nope, it's not. I do agree on the being annoyed part, though. I have to play the game, so it bugs me I'll have to fork over more cash than necessarry. But nothing unethical here.

As for games prices, I find them quite manageble right now. I've started buying games from English websites, since the dkk/£ rate is quite good for me. I pay maximum 37 £ for a game, while, if I were to pick it up in a Danish store, the price would be around 57 £. In Denmark, 37 £ is like... 5 pizzas.

Arkengetorix

Mar 21, 2009
I think of it like this. I have to work 5-6 hours to be able to buy a 100-120 dollar game. More than half the time the game just does not provide that many hours of entertainment for me to consider it a worthy purchase ( This isn't just related to game length in hours ). Then you have things like DRM ( destroying my computer hardware reduces game value significantly ). The ridiculous price discrepancy between in shop and online. The downloadable content ( so in other words I'm getting less for the same money and then I'm expected to put in more hours at work to be able to afford the "extra" content ).

Of course if I was making more money which I hope one day I will, perhaps I wouldn't feel as ripped off.

Oct 21, 2008
Considering production costs of games, and the fact that retailers only make a tiny ammount of profit on new games; no. If you leave the game a couple of months, you can read reviews and probably pick it up for cheaper. Problem dissolved.